Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

I am quitting the cigs tomorrow

I am quitting the cigs tomorrow

Old Apr 10th 2009, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am quitting the cigs tomorrow

Smoked on and off for the last 15 years with breaks as long as five years but still went back to the ciggies.

In the past year Ive attended Alan Carr seminars twice, read the books again etc etc.

Last chance saloon is/was Champix. Prescribed them over 4 weeks ago and did plan to stop on day eight but did on day 14.

Have not smoked since then thats nearly 3 weeks ago. Have felt a slight urge to smoke but haven't. I've two tablets left as I have been forgetting to take them but doc said it should be ok to just stop them now.

Only down side to taking these tablets is that I have on occasion been violently sick or felt very very sick so that I have had to lie down.

Good luck to all those others quitting, stopping or wanting to stop.

I feel as if I have my life back now.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lollyno1
Smoked on and off for the last 15 years with breaks as long as five years but still went back to the ciggies.

In the past year Ive attended Alan Carr seminars twice, read the books again etc etc.

Last chance saloon is/was Champix. Prescribed them over 4 weeks ago and did plan to stop on day eight but did on day 14.

Have not smoked since then thats nearly 3 weeks ago. Have felt a slight urge to smoke but haven't. I've two tablets left as I have been forgetting to take them but doc said it should be ok to just stop them now.

Only down side to taking these tablets is that I have on occasion been violently sick or felt very very sick so that I have had to lie down.

Good luck to all those others quitting, stopping or wanting to stop.

I feel as if I have my life back now.
Oh stopped with Champix and was on them for 12 weeks - there is a second maintenance pack you can get from the Dr is you are stuggling.
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, re Champix/blood pressure - I spoke to a therapist I know who deals with quitting smoking & he said there were some contraindications to Champix (OH wouldn´t know what Champix was if it bit him on the bum, but I´ll continue to find out as much as I can!) ....... what levels of bp are deemed too high/ok for taking Champix?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 10:57 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to all those quiting. I really need to get my arse in gear and quit. I smoked 20 a day in the UK, double that if I was boozing. Here in oz I've cut down to a pack of 25 lasting me 2 days. I just need the will power to go a stage further and knock it on the head completely.

I've tried quiting in the UK several times using the gum (urgh!) and the patches (which turned me into a depressed psychotic maniac) I also tried the nicorette inhaller which didnt work for me either.

So what methods are you all using? Is the Alan Carr book anygood?
Old Apr 13th 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perksy
Good luck to all those quiting. I really need to get my arse in gear and quit. I smoked 20 a day in the UK, double that if I was boozing. Here in oz I've cut down to a pack of 25 lasting me 2 days. I just need the will power to go a stage further and knock it on the head completely.

I've tried quiting in the UK several times using the gum (urgh!) and the patches (which turned me into a depressed psychotic maniac) I also tried the nicorette inhaller which didnt work for me either.

Nasal spray is awful but effective. Works for me no cigs for months but now addicted to that instead lol
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hebe
Oh stopped with Champix and was on them for 12 weeks - there is a second maintenance pack you can get from the Dr is you are stuggling.
Thanks for the info re maintenance pack. I did phone the doc the other day asking for advice on stopping taking them but didnt get my usual doc but the one I spoke to said should be ok to just stop taking them, which I have.

Still smoke free and have returned to the gym and have been cycling.

Good luck to all others stopping.
Old May 14th 2009, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

It's been 3 weeks since I last smoked. I had hypnosis last week - think it's definitely taken the edge off because it's around about this time that I would start smoking again on other times when I've tried (pretended?) to quit. $270 for the session and I get free repeat sessions if I need them (I will). I thought that it would help me in stopping thinking about smoking - it hasn't as I'm still thinking about it heaps but it seems to have programmed me into thinking about it and then following up with a 'yeah but I'm not a smoker anymore so it doesn't matter' and then I'm quite calm if that makes sense. The other benefit is that I haven't been in an eating frenzy either which I was on previous attempts. So, all good so far. Big booze up this weekend though so that will be the first proper test.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SamSi;7569963]It's been 3 weeks since I last smoked. I had hypnosis last week - think it's definitely taken the edge off because it's around about this time that I would start smoking again on other times when I've tried (pretended?) to quit. $270 for the session and I get free repeat sessions if I need them (I will). I thought that it would help me in stopping thinking about smoking - it hasn't as I'm still thinking about it heaps but it seems to have programmed me into thinking about it and then following up with a 'yeah but I'm not a smoker anymore so it doesn't matter' and then I'm quite calm if that makes sense. The other benefit is that I haven't been in an eating frenzy either which I was on previous attempts. So, all good so far. Big booze up this weekend though so that will be the first proper test.[/QUOTE]

Survived, hopefully? Well done so far & good luck...
Old May 18th 2009, 7:30 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, read it. Giving up fags will be the best thing you will have done for yourself for years.
Old May 18th 2009, 7:34 am
Cad and bounder

perksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond reputeperksy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Yes, read it. Giving up fags will be the best thing you will have done for yourself for years.
I have 5 packs of 20 left in the house, I'm going to give it a go once they have all gone. It didn't help that I've discovered you can get fags alot cheaper from the cash and carry ($88 for 200 B+H)
Old May 18th 2009, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

Been on Champix for 8 days and haven't smoked for 2 days. Haven't wanted to. Long may it last
Old May 18th 2009, 12:22 pm
Forum Regular

jammyjane has a spectacular aura aboutjammyjane has a spectacular aura aboutjammyjane has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Nasal spray is awful but effective. Works for me no cigs for months but now addicted to that instead lol
The same thing happened to me with the lozenges. I took them for a year, but couldnt give them up. I could halve and quarter them, but couldnt do without them
Old May 18th 2009, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm going to use the flight back to the uk next month as an aid to stop. no choice but to go without on the flight
Old May 19th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

SamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to allSamSi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fionamw
Survived, hopefully? Well done so far & good luck...
Cheers for that! Yep, made it through the night, still can't believe it. The first time I have ever managed to get pissed without smoking. Fleetingly thought a couple of times 'if someone offered me one now I would smoke it' but no-one offered thank god and I didn't feel the need to furtively creep to the cig machine when no-one was looking. Am quite chuffed. Was great waking up the next day without smelling of any smoke whatsoever, and no shame or remorse/paranoia (apart from the usual hangover shame of course!). Good luck to all of you who've quit/quitting/thinking about quitting x
Old May 19th 2009, 3:34 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I have 5 packs of 20 left in the house, I'm going to give it a go once they have all gone. It didn't help that I've discovered you can get fags alot cheaper from the cash and carry ($88 for 200 B+H)
The Alan Carr book is meant to be read whilst you are still smoking. You will see why.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.