Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How's the Metal, Goth Scene in OZ?

Wikiposts

How's the Metal, Goth Scene in OZ?

Old Jan 10th 2008, 11:07 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

GOBLIN will become famous soon enoughGOBLIN will become famous soon enough
Default How's the Metal, Goth Scene in OZ?

Spent a few days in Sydney last year was expecting a vibrant Metal scene but was disappointed. Melbourne has a bit of a metal and goth scene.

Anyone on BE know which city has the best Metal and/or Goth scen in Oz?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How's the Metal, Goth Scene in OZ?

Hi Goblin

Have a look at http://www.brismetal.com/ seems like a lively scene!

Been checking the metal scene over there out for a while, cos neither me or my hubby could go somewhere without a scene!

Jo
Old Jan 11th 2008, 9:01 am
Banned

Metrosapian will become famous soon enoughMetrosapian will become famous soon enough

I had forgotten how many death metal emo types you get in the uk, thankfully they seem like an endangered species here.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 11:47 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GOBLIN
Spent a few days in Sydney last year was expecting a vibrant Metal scene but was disappointed. Melbourne has a bit of a metal and goth scene.

Anyone on BE know which city has the best Metal and/or Goth scene in Oz?

The metal scene in Sydney is rubbish. You have to really know where to find it, and even then it's pants. There are only two real nights out - Blink and Abduction, but neither night is much good. The music is always very one dimensional, with far too much emphasis on modern styles of music with no room for classics. Don't go there expecting them to play a good selection of metal/alternative from the last 20 years.

The Town Hall in Newtown has a bit of a metal revival night on a Saturday - if you can get in past the door fascists - but it's pretty tame, and the pub doesn't really lend itself to to a rock night, what with the huge TAB and all the pokies. It's sort of like having a rock night in a Ladbrokes. The music is ok though - a good spread, though every third song does seem to be AC/DC, but I'm not complaining. The dance floor is tiny, and no moshing is allowed.

There used to be a classic rock night on Parramatta road, but it wasn't regular, and again was very one dimensional in terms of music. It was always all glam rock, and a request for some Faith No More or Disturbed was always met with derision.

Not being a goth, I can't comment on that side of things, but there are plenty about, and I think they mostly head to Blink at the Agincourt on a Friday and Saturday night.

In comparison, I think that Leicester has a much much better metal/alternative scene than Sydney, and that's really saying something!

If you are up this way again in the future, drop me a line - I don't mind heading out for a bit of a metal fest, even if it's not a very good one...

S
Old Jan 11th 2008, 5:59 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

Originally Posted by katamina
Hi Goblin

Have a look at http://www.brismetal.com/ seems like a lively scene!

Been checking the metal scene over there out for a while, cos neither me or my hubby could go somewhere without a scene!

Jo
Whoa! Quite impressive! There seem to be quite a few death/black metal bands!
Any good ones in particular?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:07 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
The metal scene in Sydney is rubbish. You have to really know where to find it, and even then it's pants. There are only two real nights out - Blink and Abduction, but neither night is much good. The music is always very one dimensional, with far too much emphasis on modern styles of music with no room for classics. Don't go there expecting them to play a good selection of metal/alternative from the last 20 years.

The Town Hall in Newtown has a bit of a metal revival night on a Saturday - if you can get in past the door fascists - but it's pretty tame, and the pub doesn't really lend itself to to a rock night, what with the huge TAB and all the pokies. It's sort of like having a rock night in a Ladbrokes. The music is ok though - a good spread, though every third song does seem to be AC/DC, but I'm not complaining. The dance floor is tiny, and no moshing is allowed.

There used to be a classic rock night on Parramatta road, but it wasn't regular, and again was very one dimensional in terms of music. It was always all glam rock, and a request for some Faith No More or Disturbed was always met with derision.

Not being a goth, I can't comment on that side of things, but there are plenty about, and I think they mostly head to Blink at the Agincourt on a Friday and Saturday night.

In comparison, I think that Leicester has a much much better metal/alternative scene than Sydney, and that's really saying something!

If you are up this way again in the future, drop me a line - I don't mind heading out for a bit of a metal fest, even if it's not a very good one...

S
Sure! Can you PM me your e-mail ID?
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:15 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

Oh BTW just in case you guys didn't already know

Iron Maiden's Oz tour dates for Feb '08

Mon 4th Perth, Australia Burswood Dome
Wed 6th Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena
Thu 7th Melbourne, Australia Rod Laver Arena
Sat 9th Sydney, Australia Acer Arena
Sun 10th Sydney, Australia Acer Arena
Tue 12th Brisbane, Australia Entertainment Centre

http://www.ironmaiden.com/
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:20 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Can't let a metal thread go by without mentioning Airborne ... well, it's really Heavy Rock but let's not split hairs.

Seen some goths in Brisbane, must be hell staying that white and miserable here.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:40 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Can't let a metal thread go by without mentioning Airborne ... well, it's really Heavy Rock but let's not split hairs.

Seen some goths in Brisbane, must be hell staying that white and miserable here.
You bet!
Now the replies on this thread are really changing my perception of Brisbane. I tend to avoid hot weather and gave Brisbane a miss when I visited in winter. Will make sure to pop in on my next trip, hell the place sounds like fun!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:44 pm

You bet!
Now the replies on this thread are really changing my perception of Brisbane. I tend to avoid hot weather and gave Brisbane a miss when I visited in winter. Will make sure to pop in on my next trip, hell the place sounds like fun!
Fortitude Valley is the place to be, plenty of goblin action going on down there.

I think Airborne are from Melbourne actually but it makes no odds where you are as soon as anyone gets good (or they think they are) they leave Oz anyway

I quite like the home-grown rock meself, very honest and uncomplicated, I'm slowly building a nice Oz extension to my music collection.
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:46 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

Heard 'Virginblack' from Adelaide? They're play opera-goth-doom metal-rock ish . Fantastic band! Give them a listen!
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:46 pm

How odd, I've just had this pop-up in another tab on my browser without request or warning ...
http://www.brismetal.com/
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:52 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

How odd, I've just had this pop-up in another tab on my browser without request or warning ...
http://www.brismetal.com/
Don't be surprised it's the devil's music after all
Old Jan 11th 2008, 6:54 pm

Don't be surprised it's the devil's music after all
Bloody hell, Devils Music + Internet Explorer ... that is more evil than an Celine Dion/Phil Collins duet
Old Jan 11th 2008, 7:06 pm
Red pill or Blue Pill?

Celine Dion/Phil Collins duet
please stop stop! Such a vile imagination

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.