Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How would you react to a child playing a mother up in a shopping center ?

How would you react to a child playing a mother up in a shopping center ?

Old May 14th 2012, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How would you react to a child playing a mother up in a shopping center ?

About a month ago, I was seen on numerous occasions striding through the Westfield with a 5-year-old-sized 3 year old over my shoulder kicking and screaming like I was hurting him/kidnapping him. I just smiled at anyone staring and got to the lift recess as quickly as possible. Not many people, nothing to hurt himself on. Perfect time out space. Then cuddles and we can go back to what we were doing. I refuse to give him an audience when he kicks off.

The next time we were there, in the lift area, another family were doing exactly the same and looked mortified. I just chatted to them about the fact that we do it too, and the Mum visibly relaxed.

I would give any parent reassuring looks or ask if they're ok. It's just a nice thing to do and to the snotty people - good for you if your children are perfect, mine are just children. Noone should judge, as others have said, Aspergers and other SEN is often invisible....

My son is very tall for his age so people often think he's older than he is. Hence the looks........
Old May 14th 2012, 12:01 pm
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How would you react to a child playing a mother up in a shopping center ?

DD (nearly 4) had a meltdown in a food court a couple of weeks ago - a weekday, typically, so I was on my own to deal with it. As well as trying to look after DS (16 months). She can be a very willfull, headstrong (stubborn!) little Madam. Bless her. I can't remember what set her off, but she got into a complete and utter funk about it and behaved hideously. Threw herself on the floor, screamed, screeched - crying to the point of retching. All that works when she acts that way is waiting - trying to hug her to calm her down makes her worse, so it's just a case of sitting back and waiting for the storm to pass. Which just makes me look like I'm not bothered. And means I do get tutted at quite a lot. But on that occasion, one woman came over and asked if there was anything she could do to help. I think I could have kissed her. She just said that she'd been there (she had a child about DD's age with her) and knew it can be hard. She couldn't help and I refused her, but just someone not being judgemental and offering a little sympathy was quite nice for a change. Ordinarily, I'd offer a sympathetic smile on witnessing a scene, but knowing how grateful I was for even a stranger's support, I'd be more inclined to offer help now.
Old May 14th 2012, 12:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Mine were generally well behaved when we were out, they worked out pretty fast that if they went into one, I'd stop what I was doing, dump them back in the car and go home but then they were just being shitty, not being unable to help themselves. The one time Tiddler threw a paddy, we were just walking in Somerfields and she decided to throw herself to the floor and scream and kick etc. I looked at her, told her I was walking away and did. I only went behind the nearest aisle but the only people to look at me as though I was the devil were elderly ladies - 'we didn't allow our children to behave like that in my day' types.

One woman did come over and asked me why I'd left Tiddler so I asked her if she wanted her, she then realised I (vaguely) knew what I was doing, smiled and walked away. If anyone had tutted they'd have heard about it. Tiddler never tried it again.

They're 19 and 17 now and a few months ago we got to the supermarket and they started sniping at each other so I left the trolley and walked out leaving them dumbstruck. First Born was horrified

Anyway Mandy, ignore the tutters, smile at the good ones and just concentrate on J. If they judge you that's their concern, not yours.
Old May 14th 2012, 1:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

itigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond reputeitigo has a reputation beyond repute

And as if on cue, he's just thrown one in a small branch of NAB. Granted he's got a stinking cold. The cashier was nice and offered him a lolly. The others in the queue radiated their displeasure and one of those had a double buggy with her. Ah well!
Old May 14th 2012, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Or even in a public space.
The reason i ask the question is my youngest boy who has aspergers is what can i say challenging at times when i have to take to get any shopping, go to any drs or generally any where in public. Thank fully he can have days where the only hassle he gives me is in having to walk on the red squares only from the car park to the drs or insisting on going a certain route to the toilet.
However there have been days where he has meltdowns and screams at me for what to some seem like insignificant things.
I have some people who tutt at me and mutter under their breath stupid woman or bad mother. Ive even had one woman report me to security as my son was what she percived to be a nutter.
Thank fully ive had some really nice people who could see i was distressed at his behaviour and managed to help me calm him down and seemed to understand. Infact one woman who witnessed a scene when i had to get him new shoes was an angel and distracted him by asking himself. However i wish more people would be as undertanding
So what would the people of BE do if they saw a mother struggling with a difficult child?
Mandy

If they are rude enough to stare, gawp etc then you have the right to speak back to them. I have had my own stare moments

I had a skin cancer cut off my neck, it left quite a scar and the very obvious conclusion that most hats even broad brim do NOTHING to protect your lower face and neck. So I often wear a hat with the long neck cover.

The staring and gawping is unbelievable first I ignored, then I would simply point to the scar and say skin cancer!

The odd person has continued to stare, one woman got me on a bad day, , looked like a freaking crocodile, all skin exposed for further leathering, skimpy top, so as she is staring at me!! I said very loudly, its a hat love, protects you from the sun so I dont end up looking like a haggard old cow like you.

After that I felt quite liberated. Not only do I wear the army issue hat with pride for extreme days I even pull out a huge silver UV golf umbrella.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jad n rich
If they are rude enough to stare, gawp etc then you have the right to speak back to them. I have had my own stare moments

I had a skin cancer cut off my neck, it left quite a scar and the very obvious conclusion that most hats even broad brim do NOTHING to protect your lower face and neck. So I often wear a hat with the long neck cover.

The staring and gawping is unbelievable first I ignored, then I would simply point to the scar and say skin cancer!

The odd person has continued to stare, one woman got me on a bad day, , looked like a freaking crocodile, all skin exposed for further leathering, skimpy top, so as she is staring at me!! I said very loudly, its a hat love, protects you from the sun so I dont end up looking like a haggard old cow like you.

After that I felt quite liberated. Not only do I wear the army issue hat with pride for extreme days I even pull out a huge silver UV golf umbrella.
Love your response!
Old May 14th 2012, 5:21 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a toddler in a supermarket trolley having a tantrum because he wanted lollies, screaming and creating. The mum ignored him as did everyone else, I walked past pushing my trolley & made a gun shape with my hand did the shooting noise & blew the imaginary smoke away Clint Eastwood style. The kid just gawked at me & stopped his tantrum.
Next isle they caught up with me & he makes two guns & shoots both, complete with sound effects. Deb came around the corner in time to see me clutching my chest & feigning dying. Small child cackling loudly saying "I shot him mum"
I'm not sure which mother was more embarrassed.
Old May 14th 2012, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I walked past pushing my trolley & made a gun shape with my hand did the shooting noise & blew the imaginary smoke away Clint Eastwood style.
Sorry Cresta but I would find this a little worrying?

(I hope) you were trying for the distraction technique?? But perhaps would a stupid face, tongue sticking out, be less agressive?

Perhaps I'm being over sensitive but if my boys were to point a "pretend gun" at me or anyone else, of any kind, I'd be concerned and be giving a lesson into pointing guns, violence, death etc

We're a family that hunt, with guns so I don't think I'm being overly precious?

As to OP - I had a challenging toddler and often had to deal with the older generation tut tutting. I mostly ignored them but it was harder as a new first time mum, embarrassment came first and then by the time the shopping was in the car, I'd thought of all sorts of clever & witty comebacks!

I do disapprove of some of the language parents chose to use with their children in public though - to quote one from some years back "don't f&*king swear at me, I'll teach you what each word means"
Old May 14th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jothefw
Sorry Cresta but I would find this a little worrying?

(I hope) you were trying for the distraction technique?? But perhaps would a stupid face, tongue sticking out, be less agressive?

Perhaps I'm being over sensitive but if my boys were to point a "pretend gun" at me or anyone else, of any kind, I'd be concerned and be giving a lesson into pointing guns, violence, death etc

We're a family that hunt, with guns so I don't think I'm being overly precious?

As to OP - I had a challenging toddler and often had to deal with the older generation tut tutting. I mostly ignored them but it was harder as a new first time mum, embarrassment came first and then by the time the shopping was in the car, I'd thought of all sorts of clever & witty comebacks!

I do disapprove of some of the language parents chose to use with their children in public though - to quote one from some years back "don't f&*king swear at me, I'll teach you what each word means"
OMG! Now there's a threat........shudder....

I did follow a mother and 2 primary aged sons through the shopping centre here one day and overheard her saying "No, you don't spell it like that, that way just means a donkey. You spell it A....R....S....E." With the desperation of a mother annoyed that her child can't spell......
Old May 14th 2012, 6:20 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

There was a toddler in a supermarket trolley having a tantrum because he wanted lollies, screaming and creating. The mum ignored him as did everyone else, I walked past pushing my trolley & made a gun shape with my hand did the shooting noise & blew the imaginary smoke away Clint Eastwood style. The kid just gawked at me & stopped his tantrum.
Next isle they caught up with me & he makes two guns & shoots both, complete with sound effects. Deb came around the corner in time to see me clutching my chest & feigning dying. Small child cackling loudly saying "I shot him mum"
Old May 14th 2012, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Penny45
Interesting one, as the parent what would you prefer?

I normally try to pretend I haven't noticed and walk past with face averted as remember people looking at me when daughter having toddler tantrums and I hated it!

Sometimes I'd like to offer a sympathetic smile or a helping hand but think I have a fear of being rebuffed or told off for interfering. So maybe more people are like me and seem 'cold' just because they don't know how to act/what to do for the best.
As a parent i dont mind if someone approached and asked if i was ok or distracted my son. At 10 he is a bit old for some one pulling faces at him though lol. I dont mind people who pretend not to notice as its extreemly embarrasing for me i just want the floor to swallow me up. When my son was younger i would carry him out of the shops etc but he is just to big for me to lift him now..
I normally try to ignore the feet stamping as best i can but when i do thats when i get people often being down right nasty about my parenting skills.
There has been one day when i was not well but had to get shopping in and take youngest with me. Of course he was the kid from hell that day and i nearly burst into tears because i could just not cope with him that day. Luckily just as i got through the check out some who i only knew from a distance came over and asked if i would like a cuppa. As i looked like i needed one. She took us to a small cafe, got my son a biscuit and a drink of juice and a coffee for me. At the time my son was 4 and i had no idea what was wrong with him and was being told by nursery/pre school and the dr it was poor parenting skills that was to blame.I was so thankfull for freindly support that day when i was at breaking point.
Mandy
Old May 14th 2012, 8:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Mine were generally well behaved when we were out, they worked out pretty fast that if they went into one, I'd stop what I was doing, dump them back in the car and go home but then they were just being shitty, not being unable to help themselves. The one time Tiddler threw a paddy, we were just walking in Somerfields and she decided to throw herself to the floor and scream and kick etc. I looked at her, told her I was walking away and did. I only went behind the nearest aisle but the only people to look at me as though I was the devil were elderly ladies - 'we didn't allow our children to behave like that in my day' types.

One woman did come over and asked me why I'd left Tiddler so I asked her if she wanted her, she then realised I (vaguely) knew what I was doing, smiled and walked away. If anyone had tutted they'd have heard about it. Tiddler never tried it again.

They're 19 and 17 now and a few months ago we got to the supermarket and they started sniping at each other so I left the trolley and walked out leaving them dumbstruck. First Born was horrified

Anyway Mandy, ignore the tutters, smile at the good ones and just concentrate on J. If they judge you that's their concern, not yours.
Thanks mate. I must admit i do tend to leave the 14 and 12 year old to it when they snipe at each other as they should know better lol
Mandy
Old May 14th 2012, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luthien
Aspergers Is the big difference here.

Block the world out if necessary and do what is best for you and your family.

Develop a slightly thicker skin, smile, keep calm and carry on.

Agree, you can't concern yourself with people who are not privy to your personal circumstances.

If they progress to get involved :
- Helpful (be grateful)
- Non Helpful (report them to the shopping centre mngt, ask them where they work/live so you can catchup later)

If people stand and stare, I take a photo of them and explain their next

Just remain calm and realise you are not a bad parent. You are a good parent trying to make do with a difficult situation. Non Helpful people need to have their photos displayed to make people aware they are not helpful
Old May 14th 2012, 8:54 pm
Excessively Diverted

Luthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond reputeLuthien has a reputation beyond repute

Old May 14th 2012, 9:21 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I have accepted the judgement as part of being a parent of an aspy. What most do not realise is that a meltdown is often a serious anxiety attack that cannot be managed easily. My son is in serious distress when it happens and the only way out is to get him out of the situation and somewhere "safe". Frankly my only concern if for him and the judgemental are irrelevant.

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
Or even in a public space.
The reason i ask the question is my youngest boy who has aspergers is what can i say challenging at times when i have to take to get any shopping, go to any drs or generally any where in public. Thank fully he can have days where the only hassle he gives me is in having to walk on the red squares only from the car park to the drs or insisting on going a certain route to the toilet.
However there have been days where he has meltdowns and screams at me for what to some seem like insignificant things.
I have some people who tutt at me and mutter under their breath stupid woman or bad mother. Ive even had one woman report me to security as my son was what she percived to be a nutter.
Thank fully ive had some really nice people who could see i was distressed at his behaviour and managed to help me calm him down and seemed to understand. Infact one woman who witnessed a scene when i had to get him new shoes was an angel and distracted him by asking himself. However i wish more people would be as undertanding
So what would the people of BE do if they saw a mother struggling with a difficult child?
Mandy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.