Lots of interesting things in it
47.92%
Not a lot of interesting things in it
52.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

How would one describe Brisbane?

Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default How would one describe Brisbane?

Just curious, how would one describe the place - either:

a) smaller than Melbourne or Sydney and nothing much in it
b) smaller than Melbourne or Sydney and lots of interesting shops, cafes, pubs etc in it?
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice
Default Re: How would one describe Brisbane?

Pretty place but boring as....
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

I live here and love the place... but voted for 2. There are lots of nice parks, bush walks, camping grounds, beaches etc nearby....and the weather is lovely.

But it's definitely not the most exciting city on earth.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:01 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
I live here and love the place... but voted for 2. There are lots of nice parks, bush walks, camping grounds, beaches etc nearby....and the weather is lovely.

But it's definitely not the most exciting city on earth.
That's just Australia in general
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:01 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster

b) smaller than Melbourne or Sydney and lots of interesting shops, cafes, pubs etc in it?
when you put it like that, I would say that the real answer is somewhere in between (a) and (b). But definitely closer to (a). There are a few great bars, pubs, cafes etc around... but not many.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Tolerable.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:36 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Inescapable,for now
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:47 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I live in Sydney and have the option of Brisvegas. CBDs of both cities are uninspiring. In Sydney its the areas next to the CBD and elsewhere that make the place great to live. I will probably go up to Brisvegas to have a drive around and see if it like a giant Milton Keynes with a worse traffic problem or a giant Milton Keynes with a traffic problem and a couple of interesting burbs.

Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Full of rednecks

Big city wannabe, but really just a big country town

But still quite nice, if you know what to expect.

And what to expect is mostly rednecks.

If you are looking for culture and class (in the true sense, not somebody with a souped up Ute and a 70 inch Plasma tv), then Melbourne every time.

JTL
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:30 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
Full of rednecks

Big city wannabe, but really just a big country town

But still quite nice, if you know what to expect.

And what to expect is mostly rednecks.

If you are looking for culture and class (in the true sense, not somebody with a souped up Ute and a 70 inch Plasma tv), then Melbourne every time.

JTL
So how exactly did you get yer 70 inch telly home
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:16 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

My home, which I love. Seemingly shared with some disillusioned expats it seems...
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

b) Having spent a few years in South Africa, I find Brissy fairly cosmopolitan. I like the Barracks, the Emporium Complex and shopping in the CBD for Cafes and Shops. It's only downfall is the complete lack of food service after 9.30pm at night - even in bars. Brisbane is a great city, but certainly not the most exciting on earth - totally incomparable to larger cities such as London/Sydney/LA.

FWIW I adore Brisbane, it's "backwardness" is part of it's charm. I like nothing better than driving over the Story Bridge at sunset, the city shines, the river is gorgeous and everything is so green. Horses for courses.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

cookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to allcookiestar is a name known to all

I loved Brisbane very much when we visited (hence making the move over there permanently later this month). I just felt very at home there straightaway.

I'd say from my, thusfar limited, experience that it's more a city for living rather than a city for visiting for a holiday.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:07 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: How would one describe Brisbane?

I would describe it as "on the east coast".
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by dejags
Brisbane is <..> totally incomparable to larger cities such as London/Sydney/LA.
Thank goodness

I've done London and Sydney myself, and even our LA relatives want to move to Brisbane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.