Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

how to wind an aussie up..

how to wind an aussie up..

Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how to wind an aussie up..

Originally Posted by aston man
i swear i always forget at this island,every time you get em waving their arms round like their being attacked by killer bees...
LOL Ast, as a fellow Midlander, I get told off here in Wales for saying 'island' instead of 'roundabout'. Must be an accent thing. I get really puzzled looks when I try and give directions to people.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
I have grave doubts about Aussie driving I have to close my eyes in taxis to prevent a heart attack!
Oh thank goodness I'm not the only one.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

From what I remember about Aussie roundabouts if you don't give way to any vehicle coming from your right who is within a mile of the said roundabout you will be abused and tailgated for the rest of your journey.

Mind you, some drivers in UK treat roundabouts like a bend in the road and go round so fast they're on two wheels.

Come to think of it, could someone confirm whether or not you are supposed to signal as you enter and leave a roundabout? Is it acceptable to signal right all the way round and as you go left or are you supposed to signal right then left?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:34 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by saveme
From what I remember about Aussie roundabouts if you don't give way to any vehicle coming from your right who is within a mile of the said roundabout you will be abused and tailgated for the rest of your journey.

Mind you, some drivers in UK treat roundabouts like a bend in the road and go round so fast they're on two wheels.

Come to think of it, could someone confirm whether or not you are supposed to signal as you enter and leave a roundabout? Is it acceptable to signal right all the way round and as you go left or are you supposed to signal right then left?
Signal right on entering (if going past first exit). Once past the exit before yours, then signal left.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:37 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aus2be_OH
Signal right on entering (if going past first exit). Once past the exit before yours, then signal left.
What about if you are going straight over? Some people indicate right then left, most don't indicate, some indicate left just before they exit.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:48 am
In Perth & Loving it...

aus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud ofaus2be_OH has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by renth
What about if you are going straight over? Some people indicate right then left, most don't indicate, some indicate left just before they exit.
Here you go. A direct link to the UK highway code section on using roundabouts. Could be different for Oz. Click HERE.

Quote:
---------
When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise
  • select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
  • you should not normally need to signal on approach
  • stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
  • signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want
----------

Roundabouts (islands) are the one thing that really bugs me when driving. It's not that hard for other drivers to lift their fingers to use the indicators. Is it?

Darren
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:51 am
In Perth & Loving it...

Just found this link to the online version of the highway code.

Quote:
------------------
------------------

Darren
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

Thanks, that's what I thought and that's what I do. 99 per cent of drivers just signal right and 99 per cent of them are heading up the road I'm coming out of so it's safe for me to proceed. But what about the 1 per cent who are actually continuing around the roundabout? If it's a busy RAB you can't stop and give way to every vehicle 'just in case' they are coming around? Sorry that sounds SO confusing.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by aston man
i swear i always forget at this island,every time you get em waving their arms round like their being attacked by killer bees...
Don't worry they're going to put another one in, just down the road by the petrol station and Kalamunda club. Double the fun!!!
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Here you go. A direct link to the UK highway code section on using roundabouts. Could be different for Oz. Click HERE.

Quote:
---------
----------

Roundabouts (islands) are the one thing that really bugs me when driving. It's not that hard for other drivers to lift their fingers to use the indicators. Is it?

Darren
You see, instructors here teach people the wrong rules. At those silly little bubble roundabouts, new drivers are still taught to indicate right as they are going over it, and then just as they are exiting it (about 1 second later) indicate left.

Mrs JTL only learnt to drive recently, and she still does that, and she gives me grief when I just go sailing straight through with no indicators. I've tried telling her, I'm not turning, why indicate.

But no I'm wrong, indicate right, and then left really quickly, just to give your indicators a workout. Alternatively, stick your hazard lights on for 2 seconds. Same effect

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Feb 7th 2008 at 10:14 am.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really niceDtox is just really nice

Hmm...

Can anyone imagine an Aussie trying to negotiate this... http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_sep2003/Roundabout1.jpg
Old Feb 7th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by saveme

nah, F1 chicanes!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Pommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud ofPommy Dan has much to be proud of

i didn;t think they installed indicators (or mirrors for that matter) on Aussie cars.

certainly doesn;t seem to be the case in Melbourne

the standard of driving here is, frankly, shocking. Undertaking, overtaking, failing to indicate, crossing solid white lines.. the list is endless...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:06 am
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

Another title to the thread could be:

"How to fit in in Australia and drive like a local"

Don't indicate on a roundabout, or anywhere else for that matter.
Except at random times when they'll decide to indicate right when actually going straight on, often when the only place they could end up if they actually went right was back the direction they came from...

Oops, guess I should read on before posting....

Last edited by steve99; Feb 8th 2008 at 1:09 am. Reason: didnt read the full thread...
Old Feb 8th 2008, 2:25 am
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Quote:
---------
----------

Darren
OMG me too. I have a 9 minute drive from work to pick the kids up from school and I go through 15 ( yes FIFTEEN!!!!!!) roundabouts.:curse::curse:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.