Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How will you spend your first Xmas in Oz?

How will you spend your first Xmas in Oz?

Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:31 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Default How will you spend your first Xmas in Oz?

Hi all,i was just wondering how all the 'newish' expats will be spending their first Xmas here in Oz. Are you looking forward to it?

It's our 1st one here and we are starting the day with a Champagne breakfast and spending it together with our dog,who we'll take to the beach.
We've had a few offers from Expats and Aussies alike to join them but are quite looking forward to having a nice relaxing one for a change.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

PAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How will you spend your first Xmas in Oz?

Originally Posted by brido
Hi all,i was just wondering how all the 'newish' expats will be spending their first Xmas here in Oz. Are you looking forward to it?

It's our 1st one here and we are starting the day with a Champagne breakfast and spending it together with our dog,who we'll take to the beach.
We've had a few offers from Expats and Aussies alike to join them but are quite looking forward to having a nice relaxing one for a change.
Wake up, drive down to surfer with all the other brits on the beach. Phone calls to the uk from the beach,think of all the family back in the uk. Home friends for dinner, drink eat . I would take the offer up and go around to someone who as ask you at some time of the day, because it will hit you at some point
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, am feeling very unchrismassy indeed. Can't even motivate myself to write the cards I bought, or post the gifts I got ages ago in a fit of organisation. It is very scroogelike but maybe christmas will be cancelled! There will definitely be no tree or cheesey decorations... maybe some nice lights that just look pretty.
I know I will miss home!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Not sure, am feeling very unchrismassy indeed.

You're not on your own there. It's my second Christmas and it just doesn't feel like Christmas at all.

I wonder how long it takes to get used to Xmas in summer?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
You're not on your own there. It's my second Christmas and it just doesn't feel like Christmas at all.

I wonder how long it takes to get used to Xmas in summer?
At the moment I can't see it ever happening for me! I plan to have a great holiday from work, don't get me wrong - I'm sure we will hit the beach, diving camping etc etc, but it will just be a great holiday, not Christmas.
Christmas is cold, it just IS! Hot and sunny is not Christmas!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:38 am
Sam
here and staying

Sam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond reputeSam has a reputation beyond repute

Hey i'm with both of you there!

It's just not the same here is it, had this same conversation with Nu-shooz on Wed!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:39 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAP01
Wake up, drive down to surfer with all the other brits on the beach. Phone calls to the uk from the beach,think of all the family back in the uk. Home friends for dinner, drink eat . I would take the offer up and go around to someone who as ask you at some time of the day, because it will hit you at some point

aint the RSL at Greenbank open xmas day?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Angela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enoughAngela Marie - Cairns will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by esperanza
Not sure, am feeling very unchrismassy indeed. Can't even motivate myself to write the cards I bought, or post the gifts I got ages ago in a fit of organisation. It is very scroogelike but maybe christmas will be cancelled! There will definitely be no tree or cheesey decorations... maybe some nice lights that just look pretty.
I know I will miss home!
I am with you on this one, cant get into the swing of our first xmas here, actually enjoying the start of summer in FNQ - funny to see the sun cream and bbq requesites up against a small section of mince pies.
Quite happy to give xmas a miss but will make an effort for us all with the usual house decs etc., actually as most people looking forward to a leisurely brekkie, followed by a few hours at the beach (gotta take the pics for them back home) then booked xmas dinner out at a restaurant, first time I have not cooked for everyone since I left home 25 years ago !!! sounds good to me. LOL
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

PAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond reputePAP01 has a reputation beyond repute

First xmas not as a whole family,daughter went home in feb,so not looking forward to it.Made some good friends so that will help.Just wished we could be all as one happy family After 7 bottles of teds spelling not so go
Old Nov 30th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
aint the RSL at Greenbank open xmas day?
Why you fancy a drink mate?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 8:55 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by PAP01
A few people have said that to us and it probably will,im just glad im not cooking for all and sundry or driving around all day visiting family.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
A few people have said that to us and it probably will,im just glad im not cooking for all and sundry or driving around all day visiting family.
Second one Brido. First one on the beach with chicken etc from red rooster but this year going over to magnetic island to spend with friends. I love this place.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:54 pm
Just Joined

Majestik is an unknown quantity at this point

First ever reply so bare with me lol
i hope that we can get to the beach and have a nice day with the significant other and just chill (with a bottle of vino). not expecting much but as long as we enjoy ourselves then thats all that matters. will miss everyone at blighty but as long as everyone is well then everything will be okay.
really looking forward to spending christmas 2008 on the beach.

PS cant wait to see my sons face when he see's all the wild life.

wish everyone and excelent christmas and a happy new year here and in Aus. (bit jealous now) see you all next year.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

have a nice day with the significant other
bloody significant other, hate that phrase. Girlfriend, partner, missus if needs be don't mind which, but not significant other Far too pc!
Old Nov 30th 2007, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by NikiL
bloody significant other, hate that phrase. Girlfriend, partner, missus if needs be don't mind which, but not significant other Far too pc!
Personally I hate 'partner' - I only ever use it when dealing with situations where 'boyfriend' doesn't sound like enough - i.e. when dealing with shop assistants/hotel receptionists etc. To me 'partner' sounds like a total cop out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.