Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Is this how warranty work ?

Is this how warranty work ?

Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:30 am
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Is this how warranty work ?

Hi,

I had an incident today @ Penrith good guys. I had bought a laptop from them in April this year. Suddently it stopped working and as it is under the warranty period still i took it to shop today. They said hard disk has failed and they have to send it to factory to fix and will take about 3 weeks. So when i asked do i have to wait without a laptop for 3 weeks, they said yes.

Is it the way how warranty works ? Or do good guys need to give me some thing until it is repaired.

Your advice appreciated.

Muditha
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is this how warranty work ?

Sounds about right, if it had failed within a few weeks you would probably be able to get a replacement but as its now a number of months they are within their rights to send away to fix.

3 weeks for a warranty repair in Aus sounds pretty good, for my washing machine they tried to say it would be a few months to get the parts and my floor robot quoted 4 weeks before they even get to assess it for the problem.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:59 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

And this is why, when the aussies say you should buy in domestic retail stores, rather than online from overseas, because you get a 'warranty' - you give a hollow laugh.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 1:11 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP View Post
And this is why, when the aussies say you should buy in domestic retail stores, rather than online from overseas, because you get a 'warranty' - you give a hollow laugh.
How is it different from any other country? I honestly can't remember the last time I had a warranty claim so have no idea.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

muditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of lightmuditha is a glorious beacon of light

Thanx everybody.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

jtr648 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had the same sort of issue with my son's sat nav. 8 months old, used three times and it failed completely. Took it back to Dick Smith and they claim that they can only send it away for repairs and this will take 4 weeks.

Take a look at the Australian Consumer Laws website and the Good Guys returns policy on their website for a better understanding of your rights. In brief - if the problem is minor they will repair it under the manufactures warranty; if the problem is major then you have the option to have a refund, a replacement or a repair.

I agree that the system is not as good as that in the UK (always got a refund or replacement straight away) but there is not much else you can do.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Sony laptop in UK that had a hard drive failure within a few months. They took it away for repairs and certainly was not done immediately, think it was about 10 days. It happened again a few months later and same thing. When it happened the third time, they finally gave me a full refund but only after I hunted down and contacted the most senior person in Sony UK.

So in short, I think that OPs scenario is quite normal.
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:49 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

My lg smart tv developed a black dot on the screen.
I rang customer service only to be told that if it was covered under the warranty then it would be fixed, but if it wasn't covered then I would have to pay $80 call out, of which I would not have paid.

The tv was 11 months old. I asked if the problem wasn't covered what my options were they told me I would have to pay for it to be repaired or just put up with it.

I was livid, anyway the guys came out to it and decided they would have to pull the screen out, they had to take it away, I asked about the conversation I had had with lg and they couldn't understand it because they have some of the best customer service available.

Anyway it turns out that a small insect had found its way into the unit and the static from the screen was holding it there. All in all 5 days without tv although it was over the weekend.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 2:40 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by muditha View Post
Hi,

I had an incident today @ Penrith good guys. I had bought a laptop from them in April this year. Suddently it stopped working and as it is under the warranty period still i took it to shop today. They said hard disk has failed and they have to send it to factory to fix and will take about 3 weeks. So when i asked do i have to wait without a laptop for 3 weeks, they said yes.

Is it the way how warranty works ? Or do good guys need to give me some thing until it is repaired.

Your advice appreciated.

Muditha
Easiest way to get it sorted as to what you can do is phone the office of fair trading and see what your rights are. Everything else is just guessing.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 3:08 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

do you get to have a replacement unit if you lease instead of buy an equipment/appliance?