Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How much money can someone send you from the UK.

How much money can someone send you from the UK.

Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much money can someone send you from the UK.

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I don't think there is a gift tax any more in the UK...but if your father dies within 7 years of the 'gift' it is counted as part of his estate and may be liable for inheritance tax. So don't spend it all because you may have to give some of it back.
Even if he does not live in the UK?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
What do you mean? I can't see what the precise route the money takes makes any difference to the tax situation.
I mean my dad died and his house is being sold. Once the death duties are paid it will be split amongst the children. Ours is going into a UK account, then will later be transferred to out Aussie one. It should be more than 10k, but does that mean if done this way and coming over as our money it will avoid being red flagged?
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I mean my dad died and his house is being sold. Once the death duties are paid it will be split amongst the children. Ours is going into a UK account, then will later be transferred to out Aussie one. It should be more than 10k, but does that mean if done this way and coming over as our money it will avoid being red flagged?
Sorry about your father. If it's your money you can put it in any bank in the world you like and send it to wherever and to whomever you want. It's a sad day when normal law abiding citizens are worried about bringing their money here because they think the government might red flag them.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NedKelly
Sorry about your father. If it's your money you can put it in any bank in the world you like and send it to wherever and to whomever you want. It's a sad day when normal law abiding citizens are worried about bringing their money here because they are worried the government might red flag them.
Phew, that's a relief!!!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

No I don't think it would change anything, I believe that transfers from overseas over 10k are notified to the authorities because of money laundering controls. But you really have nothing to worry about, you are perfectly entitled to transfer your inheritance to your Australian bank account.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Yes, where the recipient lives is irrelevant. It is the estate of the deceased that is being taxed, not the recipient.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 6:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

If your father's estate is paying death duties then the estate must be worth at least £325,000. If you are only going to get $10,000 then you must have about 50 siblings! Blimey!
Old Mar 1st 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
No I don't think it would change anything, I believe that transfers from overseas over 10k are notified to the authorities because of money laundering controls. But you really have nothing to worry about, you are perfectly entitled to transfer your inheritance to your Australian bank account.
That's exactly it, the tracking is all to do with money laundering. If the money is legitimately yours then don't worry about raising flags as the most that will happen if you'll be asked where the money came from.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
The person we are discussing does live in the UK...thus the thread title.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 12:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
That's exactly it, the tracking is all to do with money laundering. If the money is legitimately yours then don't worry about raising flags as the most that will happen if you'll be asked where the money came from.
It happens when you're transferring money to the US and UK too. It's really not a problem if it's coming from a legitimate source. Although if you start transferring repeated amounts just under 10K that may raise suspicions.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by NedKelly
If your father's estate is paying death duties then the estate must be worth at least £325,000. If you are only going to get $10,000 then you must have about 50 siblings! Blimey!
I think it will be under that amount- and I didn't say it would only be $10k- about $50 would be more accurate- I hope. There are 4 of us plus some bequests. Until the house is sold we don't know how close to that duty threshold it will be.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think it will be under that amount- and I didn't say it would only be $10k- about $50 would be more accurate- I hope. There are 4 of us plus some bequests. Until the house is sold we don't know how close to that duty threshold it will be.
What happened to your mother Caroline? Depending on circumstances, it may be possible to double the inheritance tax threshold.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritanceta...-threshold.htm
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mum is still alive, but divorced him a long time ago. She is one of the 4, however, as she helped to look after dad in his final months, and although they lived on opposite sides of the county dad still helped mum with money when he could, and they did communicate.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 8:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Mum is still alive, but divorced him a long time ago. She is one of the 4, however, as she helped to look after dad in his final months, and although they lived on opposite sides of the county dad still helped mum with money when he could, and they did communicate.
OK, it isn't going to be one of those situations in that case. It was worth checking.
Old Mar 2nd 2012, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

What are the pitfalls of sending say 30K pound via cheque directly to Aus ? Far easier for him to do this than electronic transfer.

I'm wondering whether I should actually go and physically get it as Cash..... Or do the electronic transfer myself from the UK.

I didn't want to go to the UK this year.... Was planning a trip in 2013, after we fully finished our reno.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 2nd 2012 at 9:21 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.