Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How much are cigarettes in Oz now?

How much are cigarettes in Oz now?

Old Jan 19th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default How much are cigarettes in Oz now?

This is purely a question of curiosity. Obviously I don't smoke, and nor does Mrs TB but we were talking about it the other day. In Waitrose here yesterday a guy was buying a pack of 20 in front of me and I asked the checkout lady how much they were, she said it ranged from about £6.50 to nearly £8 depending on the brand.

We wondered how much they were in Oz now? I remember when I first arrived in Oz being quite shocked at seeing folks cartons of 200s in the shops as I'd only ever heard of that when people went on holiday and bought them duty free, but I think buying in 200s in quite common here now.

I also remember seeing packs of 50 from one brand, I think it was called 'Holiday' or something?

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 19th 2013 at 9:16 am.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:31 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How much are cigarettes in Oz now?

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
This is purely a question of curiosity. Obviously I don't smoke, and nor does Mrs TB but we talking about it the other day. In Waitrose here yesterday a guy was buying a pack of 20 in front of me and I asked the checkout lady how much they were, she said it ranged from about £6.50 to nearly £8 depending on the brand.

We wondered how much they were in Oz now? I remember when I first arrived in Oz being quite shocked at seeing folks cartons of 200s in the shops as I'd only ever heard of that when people went on holiday and bought them duty free, but I think buying in 200s in quite common here now.

I also remember seeing packs of 50 from one brand, I think it was called 'Holiday' or something?
We sell Winfield 25's (most popular brand) for $18.00, B & H 25's for $18.80.
Most packs are 25 / 30 but also available are 40 and 50 packs. 20's are available but hardly ever sell.
From 1 Dec all packs have to be plain packaged with large graphic pictures on the front with only a small brand description and pack size in plain font at the bottom of the pack..
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:33 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

I buy cigarettes (smokes or durries) for my elderly neighbours. He gets 25 for $16.95.

I wouldn't usually buy cigarettes for anyone as I really hate smoking but he's on his last legs (actually he has no legs) and has less than a year according to his doctors. He'd go himself if I didn't and for him it's a 2 hour round trip to the local shop.
Old Jan 19th 2013, 8:56 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That is just a ridiculous amount of money (in both countries), I just cant imagine quite literally burning money like that.