British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   How much are cigarettes in Oz now? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-much-cigarettes-oz-now-784342/)

Tr1boy Jan 19th 2013 7:25 am

How much are cigarettes in Oz now?

This is purely a question of curiosity. Obviously I don't smoke, and nor does Mrs TB but we were talking about it the other day. In Waitrose here yesterday a guy was buying a pack of 20 in front of me and I asked the checkout lady how much they were, she said it ranged from about £6.50 to nearly £8 depending on the brand.

We wondered how much they were in Oz now? I remember when I first arrived in Oz being quite shocked at seeing folks cartons of 200s in the shops as I'd only ever heard of that when people went on holiday and bought them duty free, but I think buying in 200s in quite common here now.

I also remember seeing packs of 50 from one brand, I think it was called 'Holiday' or something?

Carbery Jan 19th 2013 8:31 am

Re: How much are cigarettes in Oz now?

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 10492423)
This is purely a question of curiosity. Obviously I don't smoke, and nor does Mrs TB but we talking about it the other day. In Waitrose here yesterday a guy was buying a pack of 20 in front of me and I asked the checkout lady how much they were, she said it ranged from about £6.50 to nearly £8 depending on the brand.

We wondered how much they were in Oz now? I remember when I first arrived in Oz being quite shocked at seeing folks cartons of 200s in the shops as I'd only ever heard of that when people went on holiday and bought them duty free, but I think buying in 200s in quite common here now.

I also remember seeing packs of 50 from one brand, I think it was called 'Holiday' or something?

We sell Winfield 25's (most popular brand) for $18.00, B & H 25's for $18.80.
Most packs are 25 / 30 but also available are 40 and 50 packs. 20's are available but hardly ever sell.
From 1 Dec all packs have to be plain packaged with large graphic pictures on the front with only a small brand description and pack size in plain font at the bottom of the pack..

goldchoccycoin Jan 19th 2013 8:33 am

I buy cigarettes (smokes or durries) for my elderly neighbours. He gets 25 for $16.95.

I wouldn't usually buy cigarettes for anyone as I really hate smoking but he's on his last legs (actually he has no legs) and has less than a year according to his doctors. He'd go himself if I didn't and for him it's a 2 hour round trip to the local shop.

chris955 Jan 19th 2013 8:56 am

That is just a ridiculous amount of money (in both countries), I just cant imagine quite literally burning money like that.