Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many UK Northerners in Aus now???

How many UK Northerners in Aus now???

Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:07 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How many UK Northerners in Aus now???

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
Eee ba gum lad. Does that make me a southerner then?
Eee ba gum is Northern from around the Yorkshire/Lankishire area which I wouldn't call Southern although it does get some toffs.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by daunted
Not right sure if i am classed as a norvenor or suvner!! was born darn sarf but living oop norf for past 11 years And people wonder why im confused

.........should have mentioned (just incase anyone hasnt heard LOL) in 7 days we will be ON THE PLANE :-)
Bit of a half breed then..., which accent did you end up with or have you ended up with none as people who move around often do?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:18 am

Not right sure if i am classed as a norvenor or suvner!! was born darn sarf but living oop norf for past 11 years And people wonder why im confused

.........should have mentioned (just incase anyone hasnt heard LOL) in 7 days we will be ON THE PLANE :-)
Originally Posted by the derbys
Hi we are from Stockton just near the Boro hope to be in Perth early next year coming on a 457 visa hubby is a plasterer
Originally Posted by Andy n Georgina
We're from Middlesbrough (don't laugh) Not quite there yet but should soon be in sunny Cairns
As we're from Durham we just need a hartlepudlian and we have the city straight line covered.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Bit of a half breed then..., which accent did you end up with or have you ended up with none as people who move around often do?
OI got a very strange accent - kids and locals think i posh, suvners fink im norven!!!!
Old Nov 19th 2007, 8:20 am

OI got a very strange accent - kids and locals think i posh, suvners fink im norven!!!!
My Mother dared to say I'm sounding Aussie...
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:12 am

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yep - from Cheshire. And I'm lovin' it.
Aye, Cheshire here too.

Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Santos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant futureSantos has a brilliant future

A nice bit'o manc with a lanky twang fer me lass
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

UK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to allUK2Perth is a name known to all

I was a northerner too, Cumbria! In Perth now.

Hayley
x
Old Nov 19th 2007, 9:32 am
In New Yorshire

tyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud oftyke has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
We lived behind the Farmers pub near Bolton Royd school. My kids went to the nursery in Lowtown. We are heading back there next year as we miss it all.
Sorry to hear you've not settled.
Have you been here long??

Might be worth a reverse reccie trip before committing to a full move back??
Old Nov 19th 2007, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by tyke
Sorry to hear you've not settled.
Have you been here long??

Might be worth a reverse reccie trip before committing to a full move back??
Yes we def came to the wrong state. But kids just want to go home. My eldest (16) went back last month and my 12 and 8 yr old want to go home too now. So to drag them over to the East side would be a nightmare. Been here just under 2 years. But we are going home.
Old Nov 19th 2007, 1:23 pm
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by annqldau
Leeds and Manchester are about where I mentally draw the line but after that I go on accent, if people have a Northern accent or a namby pamby one.
PMSL

So you are either a northener or southerner based on accent?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:46 pm

PMSL

So you are either a northerner or southerner based on accent?
It's like London and Essex girls and Cockneys. Accents are the second method after map demarcation as nobody can ever agree on where it starts and finishes. Then I think it goes on if you have a whippet or a greyhound a flat cap and a pit or a woolen mill in view of your house.
Attached Thumbnails How many UK Northerners in Aus now???-greyhound-track-ev.jpg   How many UK Northerners in Aus now???-dismantle-eas-coll.jpg  
Old Nov 19th 2007, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Yes we def came to the wrong state. But kids just want to go home. My eldest (16) went back last month and my 12 and 8 yr old want to go home too now. So to drag them over to the East side would be a nightmare. Been here just under 2 years. But we are going home.
PaulB wasn't settling in QLD and moved to Melbourne and doing fine, after all the effort of getting here it may be worth trying somewhere else before you give up for good.