Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How many 'guest rooms' do you have?

Wikiposts

How many 'guest rooms' do you have?

Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:29 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many 'guest rooms' do you have?

Originally Posted by The Crow
When the inlaws stayed for 2 months over Christmas, I overheard them saying to Adam's sister 'you could all come with us next time, there's loads of space for you....'

My answer would be 'yes, in our 6-car garage..... it does have a wood-burner'
Are you serious?

Unbelievable! - what would you do if they did all decide to come?
Old Aug 29th 2009, 5:01 am
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I have a 3 bedroom duplex which is quite small really and we can just about accommodate one other adult without the place feeling overcrowded - despite two other bedrooms.

We have a guest bedroom - although there is only a futon in it at the moment and we need to get a proper bed and a chest of drawers.

The other spare bedroom which is quite a bit bigger is used for our tumble drier, cat bed, cat scratch post, ironing board - that kind of thing and as soon as we have the money we will decorate it to make it into an office for me.

Last year someone I know called me selfish for not having two guest rooms as her son would like his own room 'for when he came'.

I said bollocks, the larger room is needed to accommodate my desk when I get it plus whatever else I choose to put in there and the smaller room is quite adequate.

Isnt it funny how potential visitors feel that they can tell you how to do things with regards to your own home should they decide to visit. Although I have spread the word that hiring an apartment is a better idea.

It's not as though my place is big because it's not but its all we can afford so we make the best of it.But by Christ am I glad I don't have 5 bedrooms or something - although I have been quite firm so far when it comes to people inviting themselves for a holiday.

So my question is, how many rooms do you allocate for guests, do you have a limit as to how many people you would accommodate?
Errr - depends who it was and if it was a good friend of mine who said that and it was in a jokey way fair enough but if it was someone who was serious I would point them in the direction of the nearest hotel and say feel free to rent 2 rooms.
If they were good friends and not staying long and didn't mind kipping wherever and were willing to pay they're own food bills etc then accomodate as many as would fit i guess.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

What the ***** is it with all these families and mates you guys have! I find these threads incredible - if amusing!

We have people over for months at at time. Not a single word is uttered in annoyance over something anyone does. We insist on paying for many things as we are hosts - they contribute occasionally.

Not one rule or plan is laid out prior. People sit down over dinner, and someone says - 'Ok if I do this - I'll do it this way so as to lessen the impact etc etc' - someone else says 'Don't worry about it - we're all adults etc'..things always seem to find their level.

In each others homes, over the UK, the US and here, there are often 10 people+ encamped everywhere all over the houses for months and it works great(!)
Old Aug 29th 2009, 11:46 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Not one. When we first left the UK we got a 3-bed condo so we could have one spare room as a study and one for guests. When they came over, we went into the spare room so they had the ensuite.

We hated living in a condo and we wanted to move into a wonderful old shophouse, in a local area, full of character, but it only had two (seriously humungous) bedrooms and one of those was a walk-through to the upstairs bathroom. We deliberated but figured, stuff it - we have guests 2-4 weeks a year, we will live where we want. The room was big enough to be an office well as a guest room and we had lots more visitors.

Now we live in a titchy 2-bed whalers' cottage in Sydney. The 2nd bedroom is just big enough for our desks and all our technology and the sofabed in the lounge wouldn't really be comfortable for more than one night. We only have one shower room too.

We'd love somewhere bigger, somewhere we could host guests and we hope to have more space when we buy, but for now we're living where we want to and just telling friends that we'd love to but we really can't host them.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute

We have a smaller 4 bed house, our room of course, our son's room, one bedroom being used as a study, and then a small guest room. Big enough for a double bed and a travel cot but nt big enough for a chest of drawers. Guests have to make do with the plastic boxes in the bottom of the wardrobe for their undies and everything else can hang (I've provided loads of hangers). The house is plenty big enough for the 3 of us on a regular basis I just haven't worked out where I'm putting the UK kids when they come visiting now they'll have two kids of their own. Might have to consider letting them into our room so that travel cot and single mattress can fit in as well. Better than having a child in with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

We have 2 spare rooms and a blowy up bed for the floor which are regularly used by friends every 4-5 weeks when we have our curry nights
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:28 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

When we built our place we built it with overseas guests in mind. Deb's parents and mine are retired so can flit to & fro. We built with our room at one end of the house & the other bedrooms at the other. That works really well.
We've just had Deb's brother & his young daughter stay for three weeks & my Dad has been here for four weeks so far with another six to go.
They all came out for Josh's passing out parade a couple of weeks ago & as Deb & I were working some of the time they kept each other entertained.
With Josh now suitably accommodated in his Naval billet we have three spare rooms. I also have 2 spare sets of dive gear & a spare trail bike now he's gone.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:31 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What the ***** is it with all these families and mates you guys have! I find these threads incredible - if amusing!

We have people over for months at at time. Not a single word is uttered in annoyance over something anyone does. We insist on paying for many things as we are hosts - they contribute occasionally.

Not one rule or plan is laid out prior. People sit down over dinner, and someone says - 'Ok if I do this - I'll do it this way so as to lessen the impact etc etc' - someone else says 'Don't worry about it - we're all adults etc'..things always seem to find their level.

In each others homes, over the UK, the US and here, there are often 10 people+ encamped everywhere all over the houses for months and it works great(!)
Perhaps, just perhaps you can afford to do this. We cannot afford to have guests for months on end, certainly cannot affort to pay for things.

Our house is tiny, we have two animals that some people we know would not be happy with.

Having people to stay for months on end would be stressful, our walls are quite thing so a good shag is out of the question without them hearing it.

It might not bother you, but having 10 people cramped round my tiny living room, having people stay for that length of time and scrimping the money to pay for it, we could not afford it.

Perhaps if money were not an issue and we had a bigger house then it wouldnt be a problem. But I still find it incredible that someone can insist on my spare room being turned into a guest room.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Aug 29th 2009 at 1:35 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps, just perhaps you can afford to do this. We cannot afford to have guests for months on end, certainly cannot affort to pay for things.

Having people to stay for months on end would be stressful, our walls are quite thing so a good shag is out of the question without them hearing it.

It might not bother you, but having 10 people cramped round my tiny living room, having people stay for that length of time and scrimping the money to pay for it, we could not afford it.

Perhaps if money were not an issue and we had a bigger house then it wouldnt be a problem. But I still find it incredible that someone can insist on my spare room being turned into a guest room.
Sure - my point was not so much the money, or the size -just the fact we all meddle through - it's more the attitude than the physical stuff. Our house is small too - and so is one of the houses in the US that we all meet up in every few years. You'd come into the one living area and there would be cousins, sisters, and brothers lined up all in their sleeping bags!

We don't pay for everything, but we do put [most] of the main meals on the table. Sometimes it's cheaper cooking for more people. We also tend to make massive pots of soups - and people help themselves etc - there's even different sittings as there is not enough space for everyone to sit...
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:43 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

They can insist all they like, PP, but you can choose to either laugh it off or tell them to f*** right off, too.

Lest I should seem utterly selfish - we did have guests in Singapore, on the whole very well behaved guests we were sad to see leave, and we didn't whinge about paying for most things. They were our guests.

However I will not put myself into financial hardship or live somewhere I don't want to live purely for the comfort of guests a couple of weeks a year.

I'd rather pay their hotel bills.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Are you serious?

Unbelievable! - what would you do if they did all decide to come?
I would say 'no' quite happily! Yes, we have the room for 6 to sleep and enough bathrooms, but our kitchen is small and it's just really the disruption. Again, living on one average salary the impact of more than 2 guests for more than a week of so, is significant for us.

In fact, the inlaws did want to bring Adam's aunty & uncle for the whole two months too -- I said no to that too!

We have also had fantastic guests stay btw.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:18 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cresta57
When we built our place we built it with overseas guests in mind. Deb's parents and mine are retired so can flit to & fro. We built with our room at one end of the house & the other bedrooms at the other. That works really well.
We've just had Deb's brother & his young daughter stay for three weeks & my Dad has been here for four weeks so far with another six to go.
They all came out for Josh's passing out parade a couple of weeks ago & as Deb & I were working some of the time they kept each other entertained.
With Josh now suitably accommodated in his Naval billet we have three spare rooms. I also have 2 spare sets of dive gear & a spare trail bike now he's gone.
Same here (but didnt build).. I decided to have a room available as I knew that my parents would come over for a long length of time (it will be for 3 months when they come over)..

I did consider giving the ensuite bedroom to our son but then decided that when we have visitors it would be easier if it were a guest room then they can just go and do their own thing.. when its not in use by guests, it is our main office area..

Em x
Old Aug 29th 2009, 3:50 pm
Auntie Fa

Y'know, I don't actually like having an ensuite. I've already decided that when we get one again, it's going to be in the spare/dressing/study room.
Old Aug 29th 2009, 4:31 pm
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Y'know, I don't actually like having an ensuite. I've already decided that when we get one again, it's going to be in the spare/dressing/study room.
I have to say what swayed the decision is that I would end up having to clean it each week, along with the family bathroom.. when its in the guest room (or our office) no one really uses it and if I have people staying long term then I leave the bathroom cleaner, the cloth and some marigolds there for them to do it.. they usually get the hint.. specially when I back it up with "you can just sort yourselves out if you like?" Crafty cow, me..

Em x
Old Aug 29th 2009, 11:03 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Sure - my point was not so much the money, or the size -just the fact we all meddle through - it's more the attitude than the physical stuff. Our house is small too - and so is one of the houses in the US that we all meet up in every few years. You'd come into the one living area and there would be cousins, sisters, and brothers lined up all in their sleeping bags!

We don't pay for everything, but we do put [most] of the main meals on the table. Sometimes it's cheaper cooking for more people. We also tend to make massive pots of soups - and people help themselves etc - there's even different sittings as there is not enough space for everyone to sit...
Splitting hairs I know but buying food to feed more people is not cheaper.
I think what you really mean is that the more you cater for the more cost effective the portions become, especially with stews & soups etc.
Buying 6 chops instead of three is not cheaper, buying a kilo of diced beef & bulking out with pulses & potatoes is a cheaper way of feeding more folks though.
Jees I'm becoming pedantic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.