Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long before Holden goes under?

Wikiposts

How long before Holden goes under?

Old Mar 8th 2009, 6:54 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before Holden goes under?

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
The Australian brand of GM is still profitable I have read, so I imagine that in the event of a collapse of GM Holden would be bought off and run probably by on of the Asian motor firms.
only because the au goverment have been pumping money in its making a massive loss in real terms
Old Mar 8th 2009, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Happened to me twice, it could well be different over here though. Last one in cops the most benefits. IE: 4 weeks for every year of service and a superannuation bonus.

That was with the Gas and Fuel and the Parcels at Aus post, Parcels Delivery, which went totally private contract. There was a different outcome in that case, as Apost had to offer you 3 jobs within their organisation, before they offered you redundancy, at the 4 week rate for every year. I and just about every other post employee took another job with Apost, which may give you a clue on how people regard APost as an employer.

No one that I know off, certainly in Melbourne, took a private contract for delivering parcels, even though Apost set up free legals and set up costs.

I think you'll find that the 4 weeks redundancy pay for every year of service is standard procedure in Aus. There is also, or was, a tax advantage with your super in getting made redundant.
Not so Ozzie i'm afraid The company i work for -Volvo / Mack is about to lay people off again and only offering 2 weeks pay / year for voluntary redundancy or 3 weeks involuntary )
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:20 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting (although brief) article about GM on an F1 website... also raises huge concerns over Ford too...

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns21229.html

It manufactures cars and trucks in 34 countries and sells them in 140 countries. It employs 266,000 people. Chrysler and Ford both believe that if GM goes, they too will have to follow into administration.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:32 pm

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Have a look at the following for NSW.
http://www.workingtoday.com.au/redundancy1.html
Those in bludgy public sector unionised jobs have it different

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Happened to me twice, it could well be different over here though. Last one in cops the most benefits. IE: 4 weeks for every year of service and a superannuation bonus.

That was with the Gas and Fuel and the Parcels at Aus post, Parcels Delivery, which went totally private contract. There was a different outcome in that case, as Apost had to offer you 3 jobs within their organisation, before they offered you redundancy, at the 4 week rate for every year. I and just about every other post employee took another job with Apost, which may give you a clue on how people regard APost as an employer.

No one that I know off, certainly in Melbourne, took a private contract for delivering parcels, even though Apost set up free legals and set up costs.

I think you'll find that the 4 weeks redundancy pay for every year of service is standard procedure in Aus. There is also, or was, a tax advantage with your super in getting made redundant.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt realise there was such a variance. Should have heard the people moaning because we only got 4 weeks per year !

Bet they dont believe me when I try and tell them.
Old Mar 8th 2009, 10:57 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
only because the au goverment have been pumping money in its making a massive loss in real terms
Based on a set volume they get a kickback for expenditure on R&D based on a rolling period (I think 12 quarters). So in affect get paid to fix up botched manufacturing practices, they should of got right years ago
Old Mar 9th 2009, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

It will be interesting but I can see a few things happening... Vauxhall and Holden and potentially Opel will branch off and become 'partners' but with different investment or management buy-outs using government money. Opel/Vauxhall are profitable, as is Ford Europe, and thus have the ability to go for a lot longer and easily weather the storm.

Holden are the same but they have a far narrower market - even though they export, it's not the same and the value of the dollar and distances makes a difference. Thus a market the size of Europe is far easier to live with than a market the size of Aus and NZ. Holden may also have other problems in that it's products are very Aus-centric - as good as the cars may be, they are not close enough to European products in terms of quality, design etc and while they are good and value for money in this country, this changes enormously once they go abroad. But I think they have enough of a market to survive in Aus for a while but could ultimately get bought by another company.

Ford are the strongest if the three. Have to say this notion of Ford nearly handing in the towel in 2007 I would say is not at all true. Ford restructed (again) in the US from a financial perspective which put them in a better position than the other 2 now. Things were tight, but I never heard anything that they were close to withdrawing and doubt that would ever be the case...

2007 was a good sales year for most auto companies. It's 2008 when it all went Pete Tong...