Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How long before Holden goes under?

How long before Holden goes under?

Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default How long before Holden goes under?

With GM in the shit and cutting its overseas operations (Opel and Vauxhall look like they are going to be canned) how long before Holden gets the arse?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long before Holden goes under?

oh dear, then the V8 supercars will be Ford, Ford and Ford
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:38 am

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bridie
Ah for ford sakes
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
With GM in the shit and cutting its overseas operations (Opel and Vauxhall look like they are going to be canned) how long before Holden gets the arse?
Heard someone with inside information talking about this in a queue yesterday, apparently from their Port Melbourne facility. Sounded like some kind of Manager.

Not long apparently.

Maybe it was just someone talking about the place, but didnt sound like it was just speculation. Sounded like a worried person with vested interest.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 1:47 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It's a real shame. One of my best pals works at Vauxhall on Merseyside, has 3 kids.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

It's not nice being in a company where it's obvious that things are going belly up. I worked for a company in the UK which went through 'restructuring'. It was obvious because the work had ran out and even the managers didn't know what would be next.

Three groups of people emerged - the first group decided not to hang around, did their best to find another job and left. The second group still came in during their notice period trying to carrying on as normal until the bitter end. The third group didn't even bother coming in.

I decided to direct all my energy to finding another job, and told anybody coming my way with work to direct it towards my intray - which was then the bin

It wasn't a nice experience seeing people who had worked in that place all of their lives looking depressed and concerned about the future.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
It's not nice being in a company where it's obvious that things are going belly up. I worked for a company in the UK which went through 'restructuring'. It was obvious because the work had ran out and even the managers didn't know what would be next.

Three groups of people emerged - the first group decided not to hang around, did their best to find another job and left. The second group still came in during their notice period trying to carrying on as normal until the bitter end. The third group didn't even bother coming in.

I decided to direct all my energy to finding another job, and told anybody coming my way with work to direct it towards my intray - which was then the bin

It wasn't a nice experience seeing people who had worked in that place all of their lives looking depressed and concerned about the future.
Happened to me twice, it could well be different over here though. Last one in cops the most benefits. IE: 4 weeks for every year of service and a superannuation bonus.

That was with the Gas and Fuel and the Parcels at Aus post, Parcels Delivery, which went totally private contract. There was a different outcome in that case, as Apost had to offer you 3 jobs within their organisation, before they offered you redundancy, at the 4 week rate for every year. I and just about every other post employee took another job with Apost, which may give you a clue on how people regard APost as an employer.

No one that I know off, certainly in Melbourne, took a private contract for delivering parcels, even though Apost set up free legals and set up costs.

I think you'll find that the 4 weeks redundancy pay for every year of service is standard procedure in Aus. There is also, or was, a tax advantage with your super in getting made redundant.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:43 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
Your assuming Ford will be around after Holden/GM?
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:46 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Heard someone with inside information talking about this in a queue yesterday, apparently from their Port Melbourne facility. Sounded like some kind of Manager.

Not long apparently.

Maybe it was just someone talking about the place, but didnt sound like it was just speculation. Sounded like a worried person with vested interest.
Its been known in the industry for a few years that both Ford and GM are financially in trouble.

In 2007 Ford came really close to calling it a day.

But as most car companies (including Toyota) have had over 30% decline in sales volumes something major is going to happen with an industry built on volume sales.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

The Australian brand of GM is still profitable I have read, so I imagine that in the event of a collapse of GM Holden would be bought off and run probably by on of the Asian motor firms.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:14 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
The Australian brand of GM is still profitable I have read, so I imagine that in the event of a collapse of GM Holden would be bought off and run probably by on of the Asian motor firms.
So why the $6billion cash injection to the local car industry? The car industry globally is dependant on subsidies hence we are in this mess.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Normally I would have said 'who cares?' but at the moment I'm driving a friend's 2008 SS Commodore (he is overseas) and it's good - very good actually. It goes like shit off a shovel!
Old Mar 9th 2009, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

I think you'll find that the 4 weeks redundancy pay for every year of service is standard procedure in Aus. There is also, or was, a tax advantage with your super in getting made redundant.
Not in my place - they only give annual contracts which they keep renewing. One guy has been here nearly 15 years and he's still on them.

They have to give something like 4 months notice to break a contract - hence usually they just let a contract run to its end then make up some excuse why they can't renew it.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

It's a real shame. One of my best pals works at Vauxhall on Merseyside, has 3 kids.
I used to live near Ellesmere Port where this plant is, and know many people and subsidaries that will be effected. It's a damn shame and the word on the street is, it's finished. It'll affect thousands locally and comes at such a terrible time for the area with the Bp plant and Cabot Carbon closing too.
Old Mar 9th 2009, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Normally I would have said 'who cares?' but at the moment I'm driving a friend's 2008 SS Commodore (he is overseas) and it's good - very good actually. It goes like shit off a shovel!
Considering the expense of European luxury cars, both Ford and Holden offer a lot of family car for the money. I wouldn't buy one now but quite like the new Holdens - handsome too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.