Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How to encourage. a 13 year old without creating a MONSTER

How to encourage. a 13 year old without creating a MONSTER

Old Oct 27th 2011, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How to encourage. a 13 year old without creating a MONSTER

OK... Mothers of teenage daughters I need your help

Hoppalong kid is outdoors dragging lumps of concrete round the garden with HIM....

Alway a bit of a tomboy, she is hairbrush a phobic, wont wear anything that isnt baggy, saggy or boyish...

Happiest in boardies and tee shirts.... And thongs... Just like her two brothers and her dad...

how do I get her interested in HER.... She vomits at clothes shopping... Just get us some t shirts will yer? ..... REFUSES to shop for bras/underwear... Nearest thing to pink I've EVER got her in was a black pair of PJs with a pair of green cats eyes and a pink tongue hanging out on them...

How do I get her into the bathroom?

Interested in A mirror?

wanting to buy some clothes that aint boardies and t shirts?

She wore make up on her sisters 21st when Kevin took hopalong and only hopalong out to dinner with a dozen of her mates.... Agreed to a little clear lip gloss... That was IT....

I dont want her to suddenly want to become a monster from toddlers and tarras... But I would love for her to ..... I dunno...... Perhaps develop a little teeny weeny bit of girly interest in normal girly things......

She never had barbies or dolls... We brought her a dollshouse once for christmas, she made a fort with the box

Her only concession is her sparkly box.... A small wooden box she has covered in silver hoolographic paper and she keeps "sparkly" things in, like a magpie...

HELP!!!!!!!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to encourage. a 13 year old without creating a MONSTER

She's only 13, let her enjoy it while she can. My eldest will be 13 in a couple of months. She hates makeup, brushing her hair and dresses in her everyday life, but loves beautiful ballet costumes and stage makeup when she's performing. She wears dance pants, shorts and tshirts, waistcoats, with converse most of the time. I love to see young girls enjoying being young while they can, too many kids are wearing makeup and high heels and tizzy themselves up way too early. As soon they start wanting to go to the movies with boys and stuff they'll decide they'd better jump in the shower, run a comb through their hair, iron their boardies and slap on some lippy and mascara.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:06 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You don't, you leave her to be who she is. If you try and encourage her to 'alter' her appearance/behaviour you will antagonise her. If she wants to become 'girly' she will, don't worry about it. 13 is one of 'those' ages for girls, some really struggle with the whole puberty thing and want to pretend it's not happening. She'll probably be the biggest girly girl when she's older or she won't, it doesn't matter, she is who she is.

Does she love you? Awesome, that's all you need.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You don't, you leave her to be who she is. If you try and encourage her to 'alter' her appearance/behaviour you will antagonise her. If she wants to become 'girly' she will, don't worry about it. 13 is one of 'those' ages for girls, some really struggle with the whole puberty thing and want to pretend it's not happening. She'll probably be the biggest girly girl when she's older or she won't, it doesn't matter, she is who she is.

Does she love you? Awesome, that's all you need.
My worry is that at that age I was only ever in school uniform or jodhpurs and Ts, stinking of horse.... I missed out on anything like that... Looks like she's doing the same....

Yes I love her.... As she is..... Problem sorted....
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
OK... Mothers of teenage daughters I need your help

Hoppalong kid is outdoors dragging lumps of concrete round the garden with HIM....

Alway a bit of a tomboy, she is hairbrush a phobic, wont wear anything that isnt baggy, saggy or boyish...

Happiest in boardies and tee shirts.... And thongs... Just like her two brothers and her dad...

how do I get her interested in HER.... She vomits at clothes shopping... Just get us some t shirts will yer? ..... REFUSES to shop for bras/underwear... Nearest thing to pink I've EVER got her in was a black pair of PJs with a pair of green cats eyes and a pink tongue hanging out on them...

How do I get her into the bathroom?

Interested in A mirror?

wanting to buy some clothes that aint boardies and t shirts?

She wore make up on her sisters 21st when Kevin took hopalong and only hopalong out to dinner with a dozen of her mates.... Agreed to a little clear lip gloss... That was IT....

I dont want her to suddenly want to become a monster from toddlers and tarras... But I would love for her to ..... I dunno...... Perhaps develop a little teeny weeny bit of girly interest in normal girly things......

She never had barbies or dolls... We brought her a dollshouse once for christmas, she made a fort with the box

Her only concession is her sparkly box.... A small wooden box she has covered in silver hoolographic paper and she keeps "sparkly" things in, like a magpie...

HELP!!!!!!!
Enjoy it like it is, I have the exact opposite problem with my almost 14 year old. Too much make up, nagging about piercings, boys showing too much interest etc etc.

Make the most of it!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by northernbird
Enjoy it like it is, I have the exact opposite problem with my almost 14 year old. Too much make up, nagging about piercings, boys showing too much interest etc etc.

Make the most of it!
I just don't realise how easy I got it do I?

A year or two older than Hoppalong I Sometimes I worry bout gorgeous's friends... They often spend more time with HER than with HIm...when they are over... Maybe they see her as one of them... Coz she's into fishing, xboxing and ripsticks... but sometimes .... Its just a feeling I get....

Like when Bratt comes over, nearly 15, Is Gorgeous in? Nope, he's out with his gurlfriend... Ok... Is Hoppolong in? Yup.... Come in.... They'll sit listening to muzac, talking, playing xbox, have a swim or go off rip sticking round the park til Gorgeous comes home....
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:25 pm
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I was just like that when I was a kid, and I turned out alright

I still mostly live in shorts and thongs (and wear a uniform at work, including shorts) but when I do go out, I wear my hair down and put on a bit of mascara. That's still enough for me, but it does make me look different to everyday me.

Mum tried to make me play with dolls etc and tried to encourage me to wear pink or skirts (she failed) at home when I was young, but I was always more interested in being out playing on my bike or skateboard or whatever. My younger sis was quite girly, we were just very different in that way!

I remember my sis being disparate to have her ears pierced but Mum wouldn't let her, but she tried to encourage me to have mine pierced (when I was about 13) to try and girl me up a bit, but I wasn't interested

I was always a tomboy as a kid and everyone mostly was fine with it and just let me be me. As an adult I guess I still am, I've never been girly (why carry a handbag when you can put your key and money in your pocket?!) but I did wear a dress on my wedding day and wowed everyone

Let your girl be, she'll be fine. She'll prob turn into an awesome adult just like me
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:26 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

My worry is that at that age I was only ever in school uniform or jodhpurs and Ts, stinking of horse.... I missed out on anything like that... Looks like she's doing the same....

I've never, ever, ever been girly.

I don't think I've missed out on anything except a load of stress!

She's obviously a lot like you (perhaps you should be worried about that? )
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:30 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest 19 has always been a girly girl, long swirly hair, pretty dresses etc. Tiddler 16 wears school skirt under sufferance, lives in shorts (with black opaque tights underneath), beanies etc. She is already thinking of her leaving formal next year, she's adamant that the dress will be funky and it will be worn with DMs. I gave up suggesting 'pretty' stuff when she was about 9.
Old Oct 27th 2011, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
My eldest 19 has always been a girly girl, long swirly hair, pretty dresses etc. Tiddler 16 wears school skirt under sufferance, lives in shorts (with black opaque tights underneath), beanies etc. She is already thinking of her leaving formal next year, she's adamant that the dress will be funky and it will be worn with DMs. I gave up suggesting 'pretty' stuff when she was about 9.
This is a child who would scream the house down if put ina dress when she was two years old
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

My girls, 6 and 4 are super -girly. Long days of dresses.

They asked me if I looked like a Prince when we got married.
And whether I got down on one knee.

Neither!!

It's a breath of fresh air having a son who is coming on-stream!
Old Oct 27th 2011, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
My girls, 6 and 4 are super -girly. Long days of dresses.

They asked me if I looked like a Prince when we got married.
And whether I got down on one knee.

Neither!!

It's a breath of fresh air having a son who is coming on-stream!
Where did I go wrong???? The only girly one of the bunch is mumbles.... Reckon he's going to be a hairdresser when he grows up.....
Old Oct 28th 2011, 5:53 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy your tomboy! Infact celebrate it because she'll likely be able to deal with anything that life throws at her.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was an honorary boy at her primary school. She was never into clothes, makeup or boys (in that sense). She has only just started showing an interest in grooming, but even then it is half hearted. I got her eyebrows waxed for her 15th, but she is still reluctant to shave her pits and legs- only does it for swimming competitions.

She has now started to show an interest in shoes, though the ones of choice are boots. She wears thongs,uggs or trainers, with mis-matched clothes. I gave her some of my more glamorous ones, but they sit in the wardrobe. She wears my lumberjack shirt, old jeans or cords (I'm no longer a size 8-10, except around the top) and doesn't care about the colour combos.

She has got a dress for her formal, which is a harbour cruise, but has never bothered with end of year parties before. She also loves jewellery- again has a great deal of mine, but her fav bits are very Goth. It is a work in progress.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Oct 28th 2011 at 6:04 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2011, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Shopping is another "interest" I would like to develop..

Classic this morning.... Friends party at 11.30... Have to buy a birthday present... Hoppolong doesnt do jewllery, but its an easy and popular option as agifts to all the parties she gets invited to..

10.... You ready to go shopping?

In a minute

1030 .... We REALLY have to go now so we can choose a pressie

OK...In a minute

1100 ..... HOPPALONG GET YOUR ARSE INTO THE CAR WILL YOU

In a minute

1120... Driving to shopping centre..... Why do you ALWAYS DO THIS TO ME????? Leave pressie shopping til 10 minutes before you have to be at the party.... Nag, nag, nag, whinge, nag.....etc

Because it means we go straight in, pick one thing and come straight out again... No time to bugger about going from shop to shop you asking would she like this? would she like that? when I havent got a clue and couldnt care less... Tell me my plan doesnt ALWAY work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.