Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How Election outcome affecting us!

Wikiposts

How Election outcome affecting us!

Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Election outcome affecting us!

The pain will be felt if lib nat get in and start saving the money, jobs will disappear and so will those investment properties and housing prices will fall and those that voted for them will wonder why
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:10 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
It actually completely reflected the behaviour of the Lib/Nats on the Channel9 panel last night (particularly from Kroger and Joyce), which was commented on by Laurie Oakes as disgraceful behaviour.
Joyce was remarkably bad-tempered and red-faced. Is he a drinker?

Over on the other sides, James O'Loghlin was well out of his depth and some of the Labor Party panelists were incredibly petulent. I thought the infographics on all channels were remarkably confusing and poor. SBS's was a total dog's dinner - so many layers of graphics! I think they may have all been trying to stream the incoming feed from AEC but it just didn't work out that well.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petals
The pain will be felt if lib nat get in and start saving the money, jobs will disappear and so will those investment properties and housing prices will fall and those that voted for them will wonder why
It's going to happen whoever gets in and anyway cheaper houses are great news for everyone apart from investors and the ones still in the game are dummies if they can't see that their chosen asset class is in a huge bubble and deserve to take a haircut IMO.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

easty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant futureeasty1976 has a brilliant future

Spot on post mate! And this comes from a person who's income for the last year and that of my colleagues is from the stimulus money pumped in to infastructure. You see although short term its created and sustained employment, particularly throughout construction, we will all have to pay for it at some point down the line.
Originally Posted by renth
They just kicked the problem down the road of tomorrow, the pain will still have to be felt, except when it comes it will be far worse than if we had sucked it up whilst the GFC was in full swing.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Well, each to their own.

Political discussions will always be heated and opinions will never change so I probably shouldn't fuel the fire.

Worth noting though that I only ever vote based on the policies and how I see it affecting my life. Voting is a very personal thing for that very reason and it will always polarise the community. It is a pity that it always ends up causing so much animosity towards people. It can even break up relationships.

Anyway I'll leave the discussion to others.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:28 pm

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar
some of the Labor Party panelists were incredibly petulent.
Just worked out who it was - Mark Arbib. He was huffing and puffing with indignation but I couldn't see whether he actually stamped his foot at any moment.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
Labor and the Greens basically take a more egalitarian approach where they strive for everyone to have as close to equal rights as possible and also respect the environment that sustains us
As long as the more successful and harder working of the population pay for it so that the dole bludgers and tree-huggers can continue to do what they usually do; bludge and hug trees.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:18 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Arbib and Roxon were very well behaved, even though Costello tried to bait them a few times. Costello also came out of it looking pretty good, but then that would be thanks to the Joyce and Krogan acting like petulant twats.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

living_legend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rinkerdink
If the goal posts move too drastically again we may shelve the migration idea, no point withdrawing as we have done the money but it may have to become a peripheral part of our lives and something we take a view on when the visa comes through.

I was hoping for a Labour win for no reason other than it has taken an entire term for them to almost get the migration system how they want it and I don't want to wait another term for the next crowd to sort it out their way.

Delay after delay after delay after rule change after delay after rule change etc etc for the past 18-24 months, am I alone in getting a bit bored of it all now?
I'm having the same thought as you regarding a Labour government and current migration policies, If Rudd comes he might turn everything upside down and not only that it'll cost us lot of valuable TIME!!!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 10:24 pm
Banned

furbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of lightfurbacchione is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
If it wasn't for Labor's handling of the economy during the GFC (which involved spending in the form of economic stimulus) there would have been major unemployment and the country would have fallen into recession like most of the rest of the world.

This is totally against my nature to get into heated debates but I believe my opinion is just as valid as the next person's and it certainly feels like the right leaning people out there are far more aggressive in their views than the left leaning.

Why is this?
It's been my take that what saved Australia, or a significant factor, was they had there own national financial crisis with the likes of HIH and a few others that collapsed a decade or so ago. It revealed some very serious cracks in their financial regulations that were quickly fixed. The tighter regulations put them in a position to be more resistant to the eventual GFC without actually knowing it was coming. If those collapses hadn't happened australia would have been in a right state when the GFC hit.

If I'm not mistaken the theory of throwing money at the crisis was actually an american idea. It was from my understanding first tried in New Orleans where they were able to actually track the sudden infusion of money as it filtered down to the masses and observe its effects. So when the GFC hit they were in a prime spot to try it on a global basis and there were few if any that opposed it. Problem is no one knows how it's all going to be paid off. We have some very interesting times ahead.

Last edited by furbacchione; Aug 21st 2010 at 10:26 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mic n mat
Problem is no one knows how it's all going to be paid off. We have some very interesting times ahead.
Fortunately the country had a massive sum available to spend, so the debt that is left to be recouped is not as high as it would have been otherwise.

I see it is interesting how the credit for that remaining small debt position is often attributed to the Labor government.

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 12:44 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Petals
Is that what happened the last time we had a Liberal government, from 1996 to 2007 ?

Unemployment rate Full time persons:
8.6% May 1996
5.5% May 2010

Numbers of Investment properties rose, or at least most people complain they did.

Housing prices rose, or at least most people complain they did.

However, they did also save money and build up a fund that secured funds for the stimulus give-away.

Must agree though, if everything did happen the opposite way this time, most people would wonder why

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

living_legend is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Is that what happened the last time we had a Liberal government, from 1996 to 2007 ?

Unemployment rate Full time persons:
8.6% May 1996
5.5% May 2010

Numbers of Investment properties rose, or at least most people complain they did.

Housing prices rose, or at least most people complain they did.

However, they did also save money and build up a fund that secured funds for the stimulus give-away.

Must agree though, if everything did happen the opposite way this time, most people would wonder why
Dear seniors,

I have no idea about the political situation in Ausie or which government is best...All I feel is us, offshore skill migrants are so stuck due to this hung parliament or the so called current situation, We were biting nails for SMPs to come at the end of the election. Now everything seems messed up and not really sure when government will resume from the care taker mode, which means from July 31st we are waiting immensely. I'm expecting a bright silver line through dark clouds!
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Arbib and Roxon were very well behaved, even though Costello tried to bait them a few times. Costello also came out of it looking pretty good, but then that would be thanks to the Joyce and Krogan acting like petulant twats.
I thought Roxon was OK but Arbib just came across like a sweaty shiny-suited used car salesman. NSW Labor Party is just rotten to the core.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A win for us then!
Charming fellow aren't you?

I guess you're one of those who looks at all the most successful and skilled Australians moving overseas and thinks "Good riddance!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.