Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How Election outcome affecting us!

Wikiposts

How Election outcome affecting us!

Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

living_legend is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation How Election outcome affecting us!

Hi

Saw some results in http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/ & http://vtr.aec.gov.au/

Looks like it's a complete soup!!! What will happen to SMPs and the whole migration policy! All of sudden when you wake up in next month will there be major changes such as a whole new point test?

Drop in your opinions mates!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

johnb1 is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: How Election outcome affecting us!

Originally Posted by living_legend
Hi

Saw some results in http://www.abc.net.au/elections/federal/2010/ & http://vtr.aec.gov.au/

Looks like it's a complete soup!!! What will happen to SMPs and the whole migration policy! All of sudden when you wake up in next month will there be major changes such as a whole new point test?

dont think you can say yet, just relax it will all come out in the wash
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:40 am
Forum Regular

OzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant futureOzExpat has a brilliant future
Default Re: How Election outcome affecting us!

It affects my family and I in the sense that we won't ever want to return to Australia if the Coalition gets in and start's down their road of destruction as Howard did. It'll be irreparable this time.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 8:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by living_legend
Hi

How about asking not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 9:13 am
OnlyLivingBoyInNewCross

rinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond reputerinkerdink has a reputation beyond repute

If the goal posts move too drastically again we may shelve the migration idea, no point withdrawing as we have done the money but it may have to become a peripheral part of our lives and something we take a view on when the visa comes through.

I was hoping for a Labour win for no reason other than it has taken an entire term for them to almost get the migration system how they want it and I don't want to wait another term for the next crowd to sort it out their way.

Delay after delay after delay after rule change after delay after rule change etc etc for the past 18-24 months, am I alone in getting a bit bored of it all now?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 1:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzExpat
It affects my family and I in the sense that we won't ever want to return to Australia if the Coalition gets in and start's down their road of destruction as Howard did. It'll be irreparable this time.
Howard destruction? wow, another parallel universe there I guess. Nothing like the destruction wrought upon the Australian people in this last 3 year debacle. Lies which make Howard look like George Washington, vindictiveness nay even violence, terrible wastage of the tax payer dollar, more broken promises in 3 years than in a lifetime of Liberality, not walking the talk, crackpot kneejerk ideas. I think Krudd/Gillard/Goose went to the Blair/Brown school of destruction

Sadly, a hung parliament with the ecofascists in a position of power is probably enough to make free thinking people leave Aus in droves.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 3:31 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzExpat
It affects my family and I in the sense that we won't ever want to return to Australia
A win for us then!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 4:13 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

One thing I am really picking up throughout this election, standing by as someone who considers himself agnostic the current political parties, is how agressive some of the Lib/Nat posters are on here. Seriously, guys read back some of your postings on the election threads, I don't think you would recognise yourselves. I have watched people who I previously thought as very rational reasonable people turn into absolute nutters willing to spout any party-line bullsh!t that comes to their heads. It actually completely reflected the behaviour of the Lib/Nats on the Channel9 panel last night (particularly from Kroger and Joyce), which was commented on by Laurie Oakes as disgraceful behaviour. In contrast, people like Arbib, who were on that panel to add further spice because of his reknowned personality acted with complete calmness. I think it was also Oakes who said last night, that this is the sort of behaviour the Lib/Nats need to tone down and start treating people with more respect if they want people to swing their way. Same goes on here unfortunately
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
One thing I am really picking up throughout this election, standing by as someone who considers himself agnostic the current political parties, is how agressive some of the Lib/Nat posters are on here. Seriously, guys read back some of your postings on the election threads, I don't think you would recognise yourselves. I have watched people who I previously thought as very rational reasonable people turn into absolute nutters willing to spout any party-line bullsh!t that comes to their heads. It actually completely reflected the behaviour of the Lib/Nats on the Channel9 panel last night (particularly from Kroger and Joyce), which was commented on by Laurie Oakes as disgraceful behaviour. In contrast, people like Arbib, who were on that panel to add further spice because of his reknowned personality acted with complete calmness. I think it was also Oakes who said last night, that this is the sort of behaviour the Lib/Nats need to tone down and start treating people with more respect if they want people to swing their way. Same goes on here unfortunately

That's the Lib/Nats for you and all of their supporters. They are a right wing party unfortunately, much further right than Labor is left. Respect and compassion for others, rational behaviour and putting the nation ahead of the individual are not values that come easily to them.

They are all for the 'meritocracy' style of governance where only those who have the ability to do well share the rights to a high quality of life. Labor and the Greens basically take a more egalitarian approach where they strive for everyone to have as close to equal rights as possible and also respect the environment that sustains us, unlike the Libs who are only concerned with looking after number one.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:41 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ProudVIC
That's the Lib/Nats for you and all of their supporters. They are a right wing party unfortunately, much further right than Labor is left. Respect and compassion for others, rational behaviour and putting the nation ahead of the individual are not values that come easily to them.

They are all for the 'meritocracy' style of governance where only those who have the ability to do well share the rights to a high quality of life. Labor and the Greens basically take a more egalitarian approach where they strive for everyone to have as close to equal rights as possible and also respect the environment that sustains us, unlike the Libs who are only concerned with looking after number one.
If labour (in any country) could ever show some sound economic competence and manage a fair society without leaving a mountain of debt, then I'd vote for them. But they never have and never will. They NEVER learn the lessons. They think throwing money about solves everything. It doesn't and in the end EVERBODY including low income earners ends up paying for it.
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:46 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Stereotype much comrade ?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

ProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond reputeProudVIC has a reputation beyond repute

The whole 'massive debt and spending' nonsense that Liberal bombarded us with was nothing more than shameless propaganda and spin.

Australia has one of the lowest debt levels (as percentage of GDP) of any western nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pu..._world_map.PNG

Way, way lower than the UK, much of Europe and the US, one of the lowest in the world actually.

If it wasn't for Labor's handling of the economy during the GFC (which involved spending in the form of economic stimulus) there would have been major unemployment and the country would have fallen into recession like most of the rest of the world.

This is totally against my nature to get into heated debates but I believe my opinion is just as valid as the next person's and it certainly feels like the right leaning people out there are far more aggressive in their views than the left leaning.

Why is this?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:54 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

The whole 'massive debt and spending' nonsense that Liberal bombarded us with was nothing more than shameless propaganda and spin.

Australia has one of the lowest debt levels (as percentage of GDP) of any western nation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pu..._world_map.PNG

Way, way lower than the UK, much of Europe and the US, one of the lowest in the world actually.

If it wasn't for Labor's handling of the economy during the GFC (which involved spending in the form of economic stimulus) there would have been major unemployment and the country would have fallen into recession like most of the rest of the world.

This is totally against my nature to get into heated debates but I believe my opinion is just as valid as the next person's and it certainly feels like the right leaning people out there are far more aggressive in their views than the left leaning.

Why is this?
I think perhaps it is pragmatic rather than aggressive?
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
Stereotype much comrade ?
So all people who disagree with the right side of politics are communists.

Both stereotyping and hypocrisy at work.

Well done!
Old Aug 21st 2010, 7:58 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

They just kicked the problem down the road of tomorrow, the pain will still have to be felt, except when it comes it will be far worse than if we had sucked it up whilst the GFC was in full swing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.