Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How does the refund system work from recycling cans in SA?

How does the refund system work from recycling cans in SA?

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Steve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to all
Default How does the refund system work from recycling cans in SA?

I dont live there, i'm just curious, as I keep seeing it written on the side of cans that you get a refund when sold in SA. Is it done on weight or do you have to feed them indiviually into some machine?

and has it changed recently, it's 10c now, did it used to 5c?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 12:13 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does the refund system work from recycling cans in SA?

You take them along to a special recycling centre and they manually count and sort them. Then the man goes to his little office/hut thingy and gives you the cash. Easy as........

Jan
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:56 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

but how does the man know that the cans/bottles were "sold in SA"?

They all say "10c refund if sold in SA". What's stopping me from bringing a huge boatload down the coast from qld, and then claiming my money?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:26 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
What's stopping me from bringing a huge boatload down the coast from qld, and then claiming my money?
Sensible Economics

Last edited by Broad Shoulders; Apr 3rd 2010 at 8:56 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

but how does the man know that the cans/bottles were "sold in SA"?

They all say "10c refund if sold in SA". What's stopping me from bringing a huge boatload down the coast from qld, and then claiming my money?
Assuming that you can't crush the cans, as the refund guarantee probably has to be readable, then then you could fit 1750 standard 375 mL drink cans into 1 cubic metre of space.

So $175 return at the refund station for all your effort and expense.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:50 pm
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hino
Assuming that you can't crush the cans, as the refund guarantee probably has to be readable, then then you could fit 1750 standard 375 mL drink cans into 1 cubic metre of space.

So $175 return at the refund station for all your effort and expense.
Why say in 30 words what you can say in 2?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
Why say in 30 words what you can say in 2?
Why take the time to count every word when you could just have said 'Too Long' ?
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:03 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

You boys will still be arguing over the "number of words in an internet post" long after I've made my millions through recycling.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

You boys will still be arguing over the "number of words in an internet post" long after I've made my millions through recycling.
I'm not 'arguing', I was just trying to help you with costings

@$175.00 per cu.M, a 40 foot container would hold almost $12,000 worth of '10 cent' cans.

I believe that you have a working business model here. Move your collection point closer to the S.A. border and you'll make even more millions.
Old Apr 4th 2010, 4:57 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bot...%28Seinfeld%29