Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How does one work out if they are financially better off in Australia?

How does one work out if they are financially better off in Australia?

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Deutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to beholdDeutschmaster is a splendid one to behold
Default How does one work out if they are financially better off in Australia?

I frequently see postings asking about where would somebody be financially better off out of Australia and the UK.

Does anybody know how to actually calculate it?

It's easy thinking about rent, food and other monthly costs. I'm wondering about the long term. How does one take into account possible future medical costs, spending on medical insurance, education, social welfare, differences in tax structures here, etc.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 11:51 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: How does one work out if they are financially better off in Australia?

Only with hindsight will you get the real answer.

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How does one work out if they are financially better off in Australia?

Originally Posted by Deutschmaster
I frequently see postings asking about where would somebody be financially better off out of Australia and the UK.

It's easy thinking about rent, food and other monthly costs. I'm wondering about the long term. How does one take into account possible future medical costs, spending on medical insurance, education, social welfare, differences in tax structures here, etc.
Australia is no longer a cheap country, so I think to be better off your going to have to make some huge change. Like sell a house in say London and move to country NSW or something, providing of course you can then get jobs there Or sell in London and buy in some less desirable area like Logon or Blacktown, which I suppose defeats the 'dream'.

Australias main attraction some time back was becoming better off by moving here. When we came in 2000 migrants did it to be better off and you were, cheaper houses, cheaper cost of living , 1 - 3 exchange rate, loads of jobs, all of which no longer apply.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody good question...

I'm still working for the same company that I used to while in the UK, but thanks, primarily, to exchange rate movements I'm certainly earning a lot more here than I would be in the UK, if you were to convert it back to UK pounds... but financially better off is debateable.
My home is certainly a lot larger than anything I would ever have been able to get in the UK and I'm paying a similar amount for it as my last UK home... but everything else is a bit of a toss up as to which is cheaper, the UK or Oz.

I personally don't feel any better off financially here in Australia.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:35 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Australia is no longer a cheap country, so I think to be better off your going to have to make some huge change. Like sell a house in say London and move to country NSW or something, providing of course you can then get jobs there Or sell in London and buy in some less desirable area like Logon or Blacktown, which I suppose defeats the 'dream'.
Greater London Average house price £352,355, somewhere between Barnet at £379,206 and Haringey at £339,880
  • £642,300 Detached
  • £351,599 Semi-detached
  • £311,080 Terrace

Compared to Logan and Blacktown ? (almost the cheapest suburbs you can look at)
Logan postcode 4114 Median Property Prices
$262,000 (£131,000) Houses
$182,000 (£91,000) Units/Apartment/Flat prices

or
Blacktown postcode 2148 Median Property Prices
$325,000 (£165,000) Houses
$262,000 (£131,000) Units/Apartment/Flat prices

If you are moving from semi detached in London, and wanting to have a similar priced, but detached house for £352,355 or $700,000

Or detached ?
London average = £642,300 = $1.2M
try this for $795,000
and within one hour to Brisbane.

Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:34 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Financially we're probably a bit better off here than we were in Canada.

For me I just compare our disposable income for both places and see that we have more "spending" money than we did before. My husband makes more money here although a lot of other things are more expensive so it balances out. But factoring in all of our expenses we save more money every month here than we did before.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

All you can do is work out salaries in your field...or in any other field you can survive.

Try and get a realistic number - clearly this is important. There's no point in factoring in a magic salary if this is hard to come by.

Work out expenses.

Work out what percentage of your after -tax salary is going to on rent, fuel etc.

Compare this percentage with your current situation.

You may find some things are more expensive, others not. It depends on the dynamics of your situation here and there.

I've done this exercise myself and for us, we don't do too bad. Read - we do OK - but I am a fairly high earner.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

looky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nicelooky is just really nice

Let me see...maybe frequent and more savings in the bank, bigger house at lower price, better car at lower price, more money from working with less stress and less hours?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Only with hindsight will you get the real answer.
Real answer only with hindsight you will gain Here fixed the Yoda words of wishdom for you
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Greater London Average house price £352,355, somewhere between Barnet at £379,206 and Haringey at £339,880
  • £642,300 Detached
  • £351,599 Semi-detached
  • £311,080 Terrace

or

If you are moving from semi detached in London, and wanting to have a similar priced, but detached house for £352,355 or $700,000
http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1248680097.jpg

Or detached ?
try this for $795,000
http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1251883703.jpg and within one hour to Brisbane.
Of course this is the age-old argument of whether or not you perceive something to be of value to you. You may feel paying about the same in real terms (or a little more) to be OK if you've just bought a place which would not look out of place above the head of a UK Premiership Footballer.

Assuming you have the tastes of a UK Premiership Footballer. (Which if you did, having space for a games room and a pool table might be up your alley).
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

When you are spending less time worrying about whether you actually have enough money let to actually live after all the bills hve been paid.
For instance - in both the UK and here I always pay rent and all my bills on payday, then anything left is mine to "play" with - over here, with the same type of eating habits and the same basic bills to pay I have far less disposable income to enjoy. I've also noticed it gradually getting worse over the last 6 years that Ive been here.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Australias main attraction some time back was becoming better off by moving here. When we came in 2000 migrants did it to be better off and you were, cheaper houses, cheaper cost of living , 1 - 3 exchange rate, loads of jobs, all of which no longer apply.
Right on all accounts. Sounds like you just made it in time. Quite possibly one would need to have a few other reasons apart from financial ease or betterment for being in Australia these days..Warm weather aching bones..that sort of thing..
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:43 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

• £642,300 Detached
  • £351,599 Semi-detached
  • £311,080 Terrace

or

http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1248680097.jpg

Or detached ?
try this for $795,000
http://www.realestate.com.au/objects...1251883703.jpg and within one hour to Brisbane.
Those houses are both disgusting!
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Define disgusting.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:53 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Define disgusting.
Huge McMansions with no design quality.

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Sep 22nd 2009 at 4:07 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Huge McMansions with no design quality?
Define quality.

Didn't you know that a person's wealth is directly related to the number of gables (dutch or otherwise) and hips they can make stick on a modest low-rise?

Last edited by spartacus; Sep 22nd 2009 at 4:02 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.