Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do you start afresh without offending anyone?

How do you start afresh without offending anyone?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Insinc will become famous soon enoughInsinc will become famous soon enough
Default How do you start afresh without offending anyone?

Some advice from the ladies please.

Q. How do you start meeting ladies separate from your immediate group & keep it separate, without original groups becoming offended or jealous?

Would really like to expand my social circle further but finding it difficult.

Existing women are obviously interested in what I'm doing, with whom, when & where but that means they know too much if I want to go anywhere without them.

New women like to know you better & extend their social network so ask about your existing group.

I'm finding the whole thing a little claustrophobic

Suggestions please
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How do you start afresh without offending anyone?

Originally Posted by Insinc
Some advice from the ladies please.

Q. How do you start meeting ladies separate from your immediate group & keep it separate, without original groups becoming offended or jealous?

Would really like to expand my social circle further but finding it difficult.

Existing women are obviously interested in what I'm doing, with whom, when & where but that means they know too much if I want to go anywhere without them.

New women like to know you better & extend their social network so ask about your existing group.

I'm finding the whole thing a little claustrophobic

Suggestions please
Great post Insinc.
I have the same problem so can sympathise. You don't want them to be jealous of your new friendship with other ladies so it would probably be easier for them not to know about you're new lady friends. That's what I do.

Although if my wife finds out she'll ****ing kill me
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:00 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need new friends. Who I see is none of my friends' business unless I make it their business. If they're jealous and nosey tell them to piss off and get some friends who will be happy for you when you broaden your horizons.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:46 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

errr.. OK.. am confused.. (don't worry.. tis easily done! LOL!)

So.. basically are you saying that your current circle of friends includes perhaps an ex ?

Em x

Last edited by emelems; Aug 30th 2009 at 9:51 am.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:14 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NELBHOY
Great post Insinc.
I have the same problem so can sympathise. You don't want them to be jealous of your new friendship with other ladies so it would probably be easier for them not to know about you're new lady friends. That's what I do.

Although if my wife finds out she'll ****ing kill me
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:22 am
Just Joined

So.. basically are you saying that your current circle of friends includes perhaps an ex

NO not an ex-partner.
I'm a sociable person & involve myself in many things, I like to say yes to all invitations etc. All my friends have come through social networkinig sites like theres since coming to Sydney & while I've enjoyed eveyones company, it is the same people who are invited to everything.

I'd like to be able to go where I want without people in "our group" feeling jealous that I'm invited out & they aren't. It's crazy enough in this world without that pressure. I am not going to lie to my friends, but neither do I wish to feel obliged to include everyone.

Do I just "not" tell them things when they ask...? As we all know a large (20+) number of women & get together as a group regularly it's kinda like no one wants to be left out, when really I don't always want to go for a drink in the evening with heaps of people, sometimes 2 or 3 is nicer.
How do I start to separate out those I'd like to get to see more of without the others feeling jealous?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:29 am
Account Closed

So.. basically are you saying that your current circle of friends includes perhaps an ex

NO not an ex-partner.
I'm a sociable person & involve myself in many things, I like to say yes to all invitations etc. All my friends have come through social networkinig sites like theres since coming to Sydney & while I've enjoyed eveyones company, it is the same people who are invited to everything.

I'd like to be able to go where I want without people in "our group" feeling jealous that I'm invited out & they aren't. It's crazy enough in this world without that pressure. I am not going to lie to my friends, but neither do I wish to feel obliged to include everyone.

Do I just "not" tell them things when they ask...? As we all know a large (20+) number of women & get together as a group regularly it's kinda like no one wants to be left out, when really I don't always want to go for a drink in the evening with heaps of people, sometimes 2 or 3 is nicer.
How do I start to separate out those I'd like to get to see more of without the others feeling jealous?
ahhhh! I see what you mean now!

hmphf! not sure how to help.. except perhaps just tread on a few toes and let the ones who are a bit sensitive to change and new routines to be outraged.. perhaps I am now a bit long in the tooth but I don't really rally to those sorts anymore.. you have a right to do whatever the hell you want (provided you aren't deliberately hurting someone on purpose) and if that means that a group or so of women feel their noses' are out of joint.. then so be it..

From what I can tell, there is no solution... just carry on doing what you want to do and let other people worry about their own situations..

Sorry! prob the wrong advice!

Em x
Old Aug 30th 2009, 10:36 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emelems
ahhhh! I see what you mean now!

hmphf! not sure how to help.. except perhaps just tread on a few toes and let the ones who are a bit sensitive to change and new routines to be outraged.. perhaps I am now a bit long in the tooth but I don't really rally to those sorts anymore.. you have a right to do whatever the hell you want (provided you aren't deliberately hurting someone on purpose) and if that means that a group or so of women feel their noses' are out of joint.. then so be it..

From what I can tell, there is no solution... just carry on doing what you want to do and let other people worry about their own situations..

Em x

Exactly. How can they be true friends anyway if they get jealous?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:11 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Em x
No Em, not the wrong advice. Exactly the right advice. If they don't like the OP having other friends then they need to grow the hell up. What? Are they in year 6?
Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Exactly. How can they be true friends anyway if they get jealous?
Too right, SC.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Em x[/QUOTE]

You're probably right, that's how I feel, no solution, someone is going to feel left out or jealous & hell I am too long in the tooth to put up with that crap..I hate to petty politics..

On the bright side I am a social butterfly who flits here & there ..{.pretty picture in my head space now to chase away the nasties...}
Thanks Em
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:13 am
Just Joined

Em x
You're probably right, that's how I feel, no solution, someone is going to feel left out or jealous & hell I am too long in the tooth to put up with that crap..I hate to petty politics..

On the bright side I am a social butterfly who flits here & there ..{.pretty picture in my head space now to chase away the nasties...}
Thanks Em[/QUOTE]
BTW...how do you do multi quote replies...can you talk me through it pls Dorothy
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:16 am
Account Closed

Thanks Em
BTW...how do you do multi quote replies...can you talk me through it pls Dorothy[/QUOTE]

ah, you're fine.. sometimes when we are new to a situation etc and specially with people that we havent had a long history with, suddenly we question all the usual solutions or our normal rationales...

Think its great that you are making new friends all over.. think it is also great that you aren't just getting stuck in a rut with certain people in your group..

Keep moving forwards... as my OH says.. turn over another page in the book of life!

Love Em x (not everyone get the love... hehe!)
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:22 am
Just Joined

BTW...how do you do multi quote replies...can you talk me through it pls Dorothy
ah, you're fine.. sometimes when we are new to a situation etc and specially with people that we havent had a long history with, suddenly we question all the usual solutions or our normal rationales...

Think its great that you are making new friends all over.. think it is also great that you aren't just getting stuck in a rut with certain people in your group..

Keep moving forwards... as my OH says.. turn over another page in the book of life!

Love Em x (not everyone get the love... hehe!)[/QUOTE]
Thanks Em, I love to keep going forward in life & meeting new people is fantastic, everyone has their own interesting story...never a dull moment.
What goes around 'n' all that.

Feeling the love
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:22 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if this will work.

The next time there is a large gathering say you can't come. See who calls you up and see if they're one of the ones you'd like to meet one to one or in a small group then arrange something then. If they ask you why you didn't come to the big meet just say you didn't feel up to a big group meet that night.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:23 am
Just Joined

The next time there is a large gathering say you can't come. See who calls you up and see if they're one of the ones you'd like to meet one to one or in a small group then arrange something then.

Thanks keep the good ideas coming

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.