Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How Do the Ozzies treat the Brits?

How Do the Ozzies treat the Brits?

Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: How Do the Ozzies treat the Brits?

Originally Posted by Fat Bloke
I reckon that it is closer to third, after League and Cricket.

Not for long though, the new A league will take off over the next few years to be a big thing, I reckon Football (Soccer) crowds will rival the League crowds within 10 years.
I'd agree with that. Football (soccer) is really popular here in Sydney. My kids have been playing in the local league here on the North Shore and its a really lively league. Many of the clubs have several teams in each age group. Aussies are also make up the majority of players on all the teams that we came across so its not just the expats playing. A lot of parents that we've spoken to also prefer soccer as they consider that its safer for the kids than ARL, AFL etc.

The A League is also definitely increasing in popularity. We watched Sydney on Friday night and there were around 20000 there (shame it was a shit performance from Sydney ). Once they can expand the number of teams and get into other parts of Australia then I think it will really take off.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by framac
Found them to be as slow as a week in the jail regarding humour. Maybe thats in N. Qld where there is a touch of backwardness (cane farmers) but overall I find myself continually going "DOH" and ladeling it out in large shovel fulls. Great ppl though even if they are a wee bit dolly dimple.
DUHHHH...I'm suurrreee, I dah'nt git it???? Meees confused. Me's a bit daft as mes a canefarmers daughter, born and bred in NQ. Pleaaase explain yur post to mees pleease, pleeese? Thanks, Dahhh...

I actually am a canefarmers daughter and yes I was born in NQ, so you do have some massive backpedalling to do. Not happy!!! :curse::curse:
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:24 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
DUHHHH...I'm suurrreee, I dah'nt git it???? Meees confused. Me's a bit daft as mes a canefarmers daughter, born and bred in NQ. Pleaaase explain yur post to mees pleease, pleeese? Thanks, Dahhh...

I actually am a canefarmers daughter and yes I was born in NQ, so you do have some massive backpedalling to do. Not happy!!! :curse::curse:
Framac.................back peddle?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Vegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud ofVegemite has much to be proud of

Yep. Get on his bike and start riding backwards with an apology to start with..... ()
Old Aug 26th 2007, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

framac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond reputeframac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vegemite
Yep. Get on his bike and start riding backwards with an apology to start with..... ()
Apology my arse. Did I not say lovely ppl but sometimes a bit slow. The humour flies above their head. Maybe you're the same Have a look at they beards with no moustache. If you ask why, they reply they have a scar from childhood. Aye that will be chocolate. They actually think they're the bees knees. No apology veggy, sorry baby.
BTW Veggy, the Indian restaurant aint there anymore. I think it was you who told me down at the big bear. Its now a cafe.

Last edited by framac; Aug 26th 2007 at 12:56 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Sorry I read the title as Mozzies...........carry on.
So how do the Mozzies treat the Brits?
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:48 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarriedtoaBrit
Hello all,

As my name implies, I'm a yank married to a Brit. We've been living in the States for the last 13 years but we're now considering a move to Melbourne. Although we have a good life here, we definitely feel like something is missing. We visited Oz in 2005 and it seems like the perfect place for us to be...great weather, friendly people (who aren't fake - yes, we live in LA) and you can get a great cuppa or pint. In addition, my husband feels like the Americans just don't get his style/sense of humour and thinks he may have better luck in Oz.

I would love to hear about your experiences as a Brit living in Oz. As with any move, I'm sure it takes a while to fit in. But in general, do you feel like Oz is a good fit for the Brits?

BTW, as a yank, I'm certainly expecting a culture shock and to be teased a bit...but I do love an adventure!

first of all apologies for not reading whole thread,lol

My sister has stayed in usa for over 20 years, we have recently moved to aus and she is going to visit us next year, and i have the strongest feeling she will love it and not want to go back to the states
Old Aug 26th 2007, 2:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nicopa
Soccer is getting bigger in Victoria.
Recent migrants from Europe, Asia and Africa play it.
The "ozzies" call it wogball.
You could also call AFL hoonball or boganball.
And you could call rugby league total shite.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

birdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond reputebirdynumnum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac
Found them to be as slow as a week in the jail regarding humour. Maybe thats in N. Qld where there is a touch of backwardness (cane farmers) but overall I find myself continually going "DOH" and ladeling it out in large shovel fulls. Great ppl though even if they are a wee bit dolly dimple.
I've found the same, not only in n q'land though
Old Aug 26th 2007, 7:11 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I've found the aussies to be pretty good judges of character ... if you find they're treating you with indifference or unpleasantness, then perhaps the fault lies with you .. and not them.
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:52 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I've found the aussies to be pretty good judges of character ... if you find they're treating you with indifference or unpleasantness, then perhaps the fault lies with you .. and not them.
That's how I find it Hutch....

....which begs the question 'How do the Brits treat the Aussies?'
Old Aug 26th 2007, 8:57 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
pmsl...

The day i make judgement on my personality based on the opinion of an Australian (or anyone else for that matter) I'm hanging up my boots!!

You make me laugh sometimes
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:02 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
pmsl...

The day i make judgement on my personality based on the opinion of an Australian (or anyone else for that matter) I'm hanging up my boots!!

You make me laugh sometimes
So, for example you have a personality of an arse-hole, and you find that lots of people don't like you ... then you wouldn't consider that it is any way down to how you present yourself?

Not saying you are an arse-hole though
Old Aug 26th 2007, 9:16 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
So, for example you have a personality of an arse-hole, and you find that lots of people don't like you ... then you wouldn't consider that it is any way down to how you present yourself?

Not saying you are an arse-hole though

LOL why thankyou. I promise i am not.

the thing is, being considered an arsehole is just one persons opinion. I guess if you end up being a Billy no mates in life, after a while i'd say you might need to reconsider your social skills. But Hutch is being daft as a brush saying Australians are generally good judges of character. They are no better than anyone else i would say!! It depends on the individuals skills at assessing people not the patch of earth they were hatched on. But in his defense i'd say he was not being too serious
Old Aug 26th 2007, 11:12 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
But Hutch is being daft as a brush saying Australians are generally good judges of character. They are no better than anyone else i would say!! It depends on the individuals skills at assessing people not the patch of earth they were hatched on. But in his defense i'd say he was not being too serious
It was, I must admit, a disingenuous comment. If I'm being honest, I'd say that this whole area falls under the category of on-going social baggage. I stopped getting wound up by people's 'simplistic' views of Australia and Australians some time ago, when I realised the people making the comments were undoubtedly exactly the same in the UK. The whingers whinged as much in the UK as here, the xenophobes were probably every bit as xenophobic in blighty - socially witless caterpillars don't suddenly transform into gregarious butterflies because they've moved 12,000 miles around the planet.

The other problem with this whole subject is that the majority of migrants find themselves thrust into a situation they haven't confronted since they went to big school. We all had lives and friends in the UK, but they didn't happen overnight - some friendships take decades to mature. And yet some people move here and seem to expect to develop a solid circle of friends in months. The people we knew in the UK came from a vast variety of different social situations - school, work, clubs, pubs, chance encounters, family links etc. Those relationships brewed over many years - some fizzled out, some stood the test of time. The same, of course, is true here - but the bottom line is that many British Expats do not help themselves when it comes to building the sort of social circle that makes everyday life bearable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.