Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How Do the Ozzies treat the Brits?

How Do the Ozzies treat the Brits?

Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:30 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Do the Ozzies treat the Brits?

Originally Posted by MarriedtoaBrit
Actually, I'm from Boston, which is one of the reasons we like Melbourne. It really reminds me of home...without the freezing temps and snow of course!
We thought the same. The CBD certainly is like Boston's with lots of arcades running through the buildings, and some of the suburbs, especially with the weatherboard houses are so like New England. When we first moved here, we lived in Williamstown in the West, and it could have been a suburb of Boston....except the winter wasn't so bloody freezing
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:34 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

Me again,

OK here yet another reason we're thinking of moving to Australia...at least we'll meet others who are actually interested in Football (the real football that is, not the American version)! Now that David Beckham is here I've been starting to watch more of the LA Galaxy games. Poor sod...he plays his heart out only to be surrounded by incompetence. They'll get better I'm sure.

Anywho, they had a bad loss last night, so I wore my Galaxy t-shirt (#23 Beckham of course) to work today to show my support for the team. So far 5 people have asked "Why are you wearing an Herbalife t-shirt?" When I explain to them that it's an LA Galaxy team shirt and that Herbalife is their sponsor it's met with looks of confusion and indifference. I also got a few "LA has a soccer team?" Silly Americans. Heavy sigh....
Football, or soccer as you call it, is a second rate sport in Aus. It's getting bigger but it's still second rate. Don't expect it to be any bigger here than in the USA. However, the Aussies are sport mad, and you'll certainly be able to discuss soccer with aussies more easily than Americans...they usually have an opinion on any and every sport
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:38 pm
Aussie-Curious

MarriedtoaBrit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Football, or soccer as you call it, is a second rate sport in Aus. It's getting bigger but it's still second rate. Don't expect it to be any bigger here than in the USA. However, the Aussies are sport mad, and you'll certainly be able to discuss soccer with aussies more easily than Americans...they usually have an opinion on any and every sport
Good to know! I was under the impression that they were mad for soccer. So, when the Aussies say "the footy" are they referring to Aussie rules football then? I thought the Brits referred to soccer as the footy, but wouldn't be surprised if I just misunderstood.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 12:40 pm
Take it easy

Good to know! I was under the impression that they were mad for soccer. So, when the Aussies say "the footy" are they referring to Aussie rules football then? I thought the Brits referred to soccer as the footy, but wouldn't be surprised if I just misunderstood.
They are mad for AFL aussie rules down here in Melbourne. In the North East they're mad for Rugby league. And they're mad for cricket everywhere
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Boston is a place I like and could live in, I was surprised to see how small it was listed as.

Mate of mine married a wealthy Bostonian 10 years ago so I've been over a bit.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:59 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all,

As my name implies, I'm a yank married to a Brit. We've been living in the States for the last 13 years but we're now considering a move to Melbourne. Although we have a good life here, we definitely feel like something is missing. We visited Oz in 2005 and it seems like the perfect place for us to be...great weather, friendly people (who aren't fake - yes, we live in LA) and you can get a great cuppa or pint. In addition, my husband feels like the Americans just don't get his style/sense of humour and thinks he may have better luck in Oz.

I would love to hear about your experiences as a Brit living in Oz. As with any move, I'm sure it takes a while to fit in. But in general, do you feel like Oz is a good fit for the Brits?

BTW, as a yank, I'm certainly expecting a culture shock and to be teased a bit...but I do love an adventure!
Hi ... We're in Melbourne, and have been for over two and a half years.
Never had any problem ...it's like wherever you go in the world ...you treat people right, then they treat you right. We've got some good Aussie friends ...we're certainly not the sort of Expats who just stick with their own (although we have British friends too)

If you are willing to pull your weight, not moan, and be friendly...you'll have no problems
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:55 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Hello all,

As my name implies, I'm a yank married to a Brit. We've been living in the States for the last 13 years but we're now considering a move to Melbourne. Although we have a good life here, we definitely feel like something is missing. We visited Oz in 2005 and it seems like the perfect place for us to be...great weather, friendly people (who aren't fake - yes, we live in LA) and you can get a great cuppa or pint. In addition, my husband feels like the Americans just don't get his style/sense of humour and thinks he may have better luck in Oz.

I would love to hear about your experiences as a Brit living in Oz. As with any move, I'm sure it takes a while to fit in. But in general, do you feel like Oz is a good fit for the Brits?

BTW, as a yank, I'm certainly expecting a culture shock and to be teased a bit...but I do love an adventure!
I find the Aussie's don't mind us English at all. Some are interested, some arn't.
I do feel they have a different sense of humour, but thats no problem.If you ever come to Perth then it is like little Britain anyway.
Perth was a culture shock for me, you either love it of you hate it
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really niceLauraC is just really nice

I've heard rugby referred to as "the footy".
Old Aug 24th 2007, 9:36 pm
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LauraC
I've heard rugby referred to as "the footy".
Yep...there's AFL footy, and Rugby footy.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Yep...there's AFL footy, and Rugby footy.
Yup - ''Footy'' is any non-soccer code really.

NSW - Rugby League (or to a lesser extent, if you are a North Shore kind of bloke - Rugby Union: although a League bloke might call it ''Rah-rah'').

VIC - Aussie Rules.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 11:54 pm
Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Yup - ''Footy'' is any non-soccer code really.

NSW - Rugby League (or to a lesser extent, if you are a North Shore kind of bloke - Rugby Union: although a League bloke might call it ''Rah-rah'').

VIC - Aussie Rules.
Go Storm !! Who wrapped up the league last night

Well now btw
Old Aug 25th 2007, 9:50 pm
Just Joined

nicopa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shakmaty
Soccer is getting bigger in Victoria.
Recent migrants from Europe, Asia and Africa play it.
The "ozzies" call it wogball.
You could also call AFL hoonball or boganball.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nicopa
Soccer is getting bigger in Victoria.
Recent migrants from Europe, Asia and Africa play it.
The "ozzies" call it wogball.
You could also call AFL hoonball or boganball.
It's still second as the popular sport, and will remain so for a while.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:12 pm
Banned

Fat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really niceFat Bloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
It's still second as the popular sport, and will remain so for a while.
I reckon that it is closer to third, after League and Cricket.

Not for long though, the new A league will take off over the next few years to be a big thing, I reckon Football (Soccer) crowds will rival the League crowds within 10 years.
Old Aug 25th 2007, 11:15 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I read the title as Mozzies...........carry on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.