Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How do I get rid of "burnt" smell?

How do I get rid of "burnt" smell?

Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How do I get rid of "burnt" smell?

Originally Posted by annkc
Cut onions in half and leave it over night, it helps to remove the smells of paint, burning smells etc
annkc
Thanks, but that was the first thing I tried!

Maggie
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If the other things don't work, try balling up newspapers and putting it in the microwave overnight. OO NOT TURN IT ON, THOUGH!! The newsprint will absorb the odours. It also works a charm on clothes that smell musty.
Thanks for advice, I will try this next, after having left lemons in micro overnight.

(Thinking of micro'ing son to see if that takes smell away!!.... only joking. Poor wean is feeling terrible about his "experiment". I have to love him
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:09 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Take a garlic bulb and separate two cloves of garlic, place one up each nostril & hey presto the burned smell will disappear
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:24 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You can also drop by Bunnings and pick up some charcoal. Put a few lumps in to absorb the odours. Baking soda would probably work as well, but would take longer I would think.

If all the above don't work then Cresta seems to have the perfect solution.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 5:35 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
put a bowl of water with a sliced lemon in the microwave and cook on full power for 5 mins. then leave in the microwave with the door closed for another 10. should smell as fresh as a daisy (well as fresh as lemons!)

My son did the same with tata pies - microwave was 2 days old - we did the lemon thing everyday for about a week - now it dont seem to bad - can still smell a bit of burning but it is getting less everyday.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:15 pm
brisvegas

ridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud ofridds has much to be proud of

Another tip - make a paste of baking soda with a little water - use this on a scrubbing sponge to clean the interior. Wipe clean with water. Then use white wine vinegar to wipe out the microwave a second time - the vinegar smell will disappear as it dries. Follow up with some of the tips above, esp the bread soaked in vinegar or a bowl of baking soda left in overnight. Might take a few days of leaving these things in overnight but the smell will def. fade.

The bonus is you will have a sparkly clean microwave :-)
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:23 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ridds
Another tip - make a paste of baking soda with a little water - use this on a scrubbing sponge to clean the interior. Wipe clean with water. Then use white wine vinegar to wipe out the microwave a second time - the vinegar smell will disappear as it dries. Follow up with some of the tips above, esp the bread soaked in vinegar or a bowl of baking soda left in overnight. Might take a few days of leaving these things in overnight but the smell will def. fade.

The bonus is you will have a sparkly clean microwave :-)
you can also put bicarb and water in a big bowl and boil it in the micro
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:59 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter did a similar thing with my mums microwave but with popcorn - there is no way of ever getting rid of that burnt smell! We tried everything!
Mum now has a new micro and has vowed never to let kids near it!