Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How did you meet your OH?

How did you meet your OH?

Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

sunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond reputesunbather has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How did meet your OH?

Originally Posted by Hutch
Despite the fact that I worked in the same publishing company as my missus, we actually met in the pub we both worked in of an evening. She worked there because she had to supplement her crappy wages, I was there because I was new in town and didn't want to make friends from the one company - so I used to work for beer (literally).

It was hate at first sight to be honest. She was seeing a doorman at the time - a right steroid chewing moron - and I was, ermm, enjoying all the many social aspects of my first proper job away far away from the parents.

When we were working together we used to argue pretty much constantly - and it wasn't until about a year later (several months after she'd ditched the boyfriend) that the bar manager pointed out (in desperation, because we'd been driving everyone nuts) that we actually liked each other. When he said it, it hit me like a bolt from the blue - sometimes you just don't notice what's right under your nose. Unbeknownst to me, the bar managers girlfriend had a word with the missus along the same lines.

A couple of nights prior to this, after the pub had shut and all the bar staff were sitting around eating nasty fried chicken at the bar and putting the world to rights, we got talking about relationships. The missus pipes up that blokes only ever send women flowers when they're sorry for something. I said that was bollocks. We agreed to differ.

So, the next weekend she's up in London working PR at one of the publishing company's shows. I send her three dozen red roses with a card that says 'Just because ...' Later on I phone her up to see if she got the flowers and she goes off on one at me - she thought I'd sent them to her just to prove that blokes don't just send flowers when they're sorry - hadn't occurred to her that I might have actually just wanted to send them to her. I hung up the phone, turned to Andy the bar manager and said, "Well that went down like a lead balloon."

When she gets back into town, the bar managers girlfriend has a chat with her and asks her why she threw a wobbler at me. Puts the missus' right on the true purpose of the flowers, she felt (she told me later) like a right tool. She calls me and asks me if it's true and I say (in true romantic style), "Of course it is you silly bitch." I went round to see her at her flat and in the 18 years we've been together now, from that very night on, we've only been apart for about 12 days in total.

But do you still send her flowers, just because?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:20 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunbather
But do you still send her flowers, just because?
Nah - generally speaking she only gets flowers when I've done something wrong.

(only kidding)
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

on a 'school' bus, I was the schoolgirl smoker on the back seat he was in his first year at Tech doing panal beating... I never really spoke to him til I came back from college and went to the local pub...

Got totally sick of the idiot locals who would try and 'chat me up' when all I wanted was some space away from the folks and a couple of quiet drinks... I used to sit at the bar with him so none of the other morons bothered me.. for months we just sat and drank and ignored everyone else. We couldn't really help but speak to each other.. got to know each other... he REALLY wasn't my type (Daddy's family didn't found a major international bank.. No ancesterol pile, No title, He didn't earn squillions in the city or drive a porsche)... Don't know what happened, but I began to know him, to like him, to fall in love...

I've never stopped loving..... not even when I went off and married the tosser.. (all that is in another post)... Still love him..

odd innit?
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:22 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Stringfellows
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

We met online

Our first proper meeting in person was a couple of weeks later when I'd been out for lunch for my 30th birthday, was as pissed as a fart! He called to wish me a happy birthday, we invited him over to my mate's place to which he duly arrived with a couple of bottles ... and we're still together almost five years later. And no, he didn't get lucky on the first night
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:38 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Over a laundry bag!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

At the Badgers Set (pub). He was the mate of my friends' boyfriend, he said he wanted to 'get to know me,' we went out 3 times, and I really didn't think he was my type, I was more into 'bad boys' then so I ended it. Then used to see him around quite a bit and he used to make me laugh, he always had these brilliant jokes, I gradually started to realise how much I did like him! This went on for over 2 years, when he used to periodically ask me out, then eventually said yes! after 3 weeks he asked me to marry him we've been married 18 years
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:32 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
At the Badgers Set (pub). He was the mate of my friends' boyfriend, he said he wanted to 'get to know me,' we went out 3 times, and I really didn't think he was my type, I was more into 'bad boys' then so I ended it. Then used to see him around quite a bit and he used to make me laugh, he always had these brilliant jokes, I gradually started to realise how much I did like him! This went on for over 2 years, when he used to periodically ask me out, then eventually said yes! after 3 weeks he asked me to marry him we've been married 18 years

Aw bless

There's some great stories on this thread

Jan
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:11 pm
Where's my visa?

cascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant futurecascrew has a brilliant future

Met my OH at his engagement party!!! i'm such a tart
Old Apr 5th 2008, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of lightSparky wife is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cascrew
Met my OH at his engagement party!!! i'm such a tart
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:04 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Met mine when newly divorced and out on the town. He was 23 and me 30 with two kids. We were brilliant drinking buddies and had lots of fun. Thought it would be good to teach him Been together 20 years now and got married 4 years ago in Vegas, love him to bits still

Nicky xx
Old Apr 5th 2008, 4:23 pm
Living the dream :)

nickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of lightnickywes is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nickywes
Met mine when newly divorced and out on the town. He was 23 and me 30 with two kids. We were brilliant drinking buddies and had lots of fun. Thought it would be good to teach him Been together 20 years now and got married 4 years ago in Vegas, love him to bits still

Nicky xx
Take that back, he is getting on my nerves today!!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:04 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

when we were 18 I bet my mate she wouldn't join the army and as she had no other ideas she joined up

She later married a bloke she met in the army and they came back to our village for the hen night/stag night and to get married, I was a student nurse (yes a drunkard) They were based in the outer Hebrides.

he was on the stag party I was on the hen party they were all army blokes and were not nice about us turning up at the same pub one of them was pretty nasty so I told him where he could go and what he could do with himself in 4 letter words. No one dissed me in those days We then left the pub as everyone was shocked at how horribly I had put him down so I got dragged out of there sharpish.

The next day at the wedding he spent the whole day apologising to me for being rude I wouldn't talk to him just thought he was a bone head as it was I who had been rude.
At the end of the reception he asked me out and I replied in a bored tone of voice ok I have nothing else planned I suppose I might as well!

we went out and spent the night talking till 4am got kicked out of the restaurant so sat chatting in his car. we met when we could after that and have now been married for 25 years
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:35 pm
If all else fails...smile

smiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond reputesmiling4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
when we were 18 I bet my mate she wouldn't join the army and as she had no other ideas she joined up

She later married a bloke she met in the army and they came back to our village for the hen night/stag night and to get married, I was a student nurse (yes a drunkard) They were based in the outer Hebrides.

he was on the stag party I was on the hen party they were all army blokes and were not nice about us turning up at the same pub one of them was pretty nasty so I told him where he could go and what he could do with himself in 4 letter words. No one dissed me in those days We then left the pub as everyone was shocked at how horribly I had put him down so I got dragged out of there sharpish.

The next day at the wedding he spent the whole day apologising to me for being rude I wouldn't talk to him just thought he was a bone head as it was I who had been rude.
At the end of the reception he asked me out and I replied in a bored tone of voice ok I have nothing else planned I suppose I might as well!

we went out and spent the night talking till 4am got kicked out of the restaurant so sat chatting in his car. we met when we could after that and have now been married for 25 years
go Ash!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond reputeFly Away has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curly
AWWW!

That's lovely.

Is that the Badger's Set on the Pedmore Rd?? I used to drink in there when I was in the 6th form... wonder if I ever saw you there...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.