Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How can I realise if an online shop is reputable and safe?

How can I realise if an online shop is reputable and safe?

Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future
Question How can I realise if an online shop is reputable and safe?

I have recently become interested in buying my needs online.

But I am a little worried about loosing money over any online scam.

As the title suggests, I like to know how can I find out how safe/reputable is an online shop?

Are those all trustable?

Thank you!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 2:14 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I realise if an online shop is reputable and safe?

Originally Posted by BARDI77
I have recently become interested in buying my needs online.

But I am a little worried about loosing money over any online scam.

As the title suggests, I like to know how can I find out how safe/reputable is an online shop?

Are those all trustable?

Thank you!
google them and look for people who have used them

assume they are crooks and work back from that assumption
Old Jan 16th 2010, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

If it sounds to good to be true then its probably a scam.

Pay by credit card and ensure a secure link is available

Check the shop provides a physical address and the address is valid. Check it provides a way of contacting them other than email
Old Jan 16th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

BARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant futureBARDI77 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by spottydog

Pay by credit card and ensure a secure link is available
I assume you meant that I should avoid paying by either Bpay or Paypal if I am in doubt whether the online shop is reputable. Is my assumption right?

Last edited by BARDI77; Jan 16th 2010 at 4:46 am.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

I assume you meant that I should avoid paying by either Bpay or Paypal if I am in doubt whether the online shop is reputable. Is my assumption right?
Only pay by a method where you can reclaim funds if the goods don't arrive.

Paypal may offer a refund for buying online other than via eBay, I'm not sure with BPay as I've only used it for bills. Bpay could be OK as the receiver would have to be registered with them. For both these options check the providers Ts & Cs (not the online shop's).

Mainly though just don't pay by direct bank transfer, western union etc. as you would have no comeback.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Only pay by a method where you can reclaim funds if the goods don't arrive.

Paypal may offer a refund for buying online other than via eBay, I'm not sure with BPay as I've only used it for bills. Bpay could be OK as the receiver would have to be registered with them. For both these options check the providers Ts & Cs (not the online shop's).

Mainly though just don't pay by direct bank transfer, western union etc. as you would have no comeback.
Thank you for your detailed reply.

Is the only concern "not receiving the goods"? I mean is it possible that the online shop may be able to take advantage of my bank account anyhow even after they deliever me the goods? ( Because they will know my name and possibly my Account No. and BSB code if I use the direct bank transfer)? I know you told me not to use direct transfer and I definitely will not use it in the future, but I have used it once and I am a little worried!

Generally, can someone take advantage of my bank account if he/she knows my full name and your bank account no. and BSB ?

Last edited by BARDI77; Jan 16th 2010 at 8:31 am.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:42 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

If you give them your visa number they can debit whatever they like from it but you are protected by Visa.

You should not have to give anyone all 3 of your BSB/Bank Account/Name that is yours to keep and there is no payment method I know of that would require you to give those away. Except of course for direct Debits which are part of a regular ongoing payment for services.

The basic rules are don't give anyone on the internet any information you wouldn't be happy giving to a guy in a shady alleyway in return for buying a stolen car radio and watching him write it down.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spalen

there is no payment method I know of that would require you to give those away. Except of course for direct Debits which are part of a regular ongoing payment for services.

So, if I make a direct transfer with my internet banking to anyone, will that person be aware of all three of my BSB/BANK ACCOUNT/NAME when he/she receives the money in his/her bank account?
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:20 am
ah-beng

So, if I make a direct transfer with my internet banking to anyone, will that person be aware of all three of my BSB/BANK ACCOUNT/NAME when he/she receives the money in his/her bank account?
I found this for you by googling - its Australian so it should be relevant

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Help/T...ayment-methods

You have no payment protection by bank transfer - they can take your money and run away. If they dont take Visa then its got to be a 'small' business - anyone of any size would take Visa .
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:22 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Check that the site has an address and a phone number: check the number by going to http://www.whitepages.com.au/wp

Obviously never buy from a site with only a mobile number!

If buying online never do it from a site which doesn't have a "s" after the "http" in the address and a closed padlock at the bottom right of the screen. Double-click on the padlock to see the issuing security company and check the expiry date etc.

If you are on a secure site and give your credit card details they may well be able to access them so you have to have a reasonable trust in the company. If you use an online funds transfer it's a one-off, so they can't take another payment from you. Write a descriptive note as the reference so that you can show what the payment is for if there's any problem later.

It's all common sense, really - but then thousands of people every year get scammed by clicking on links in emails from people they've never heard of, and even the most paranoid can make mistakes!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spalen
I found this for you by googling - its Australian so it should be relevant

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Help/T...ayment-methods
Good link, Thanks.

Originally Posted by Wol

If you use an online funds transfer it's a one-off, so they can't take another payment from you. Write a descriptive note as the reference so that you can show what the payment is for if there's any problem later.
Will my Acc No. and BSB appear on their internet bank account/bank statement when I make this one-off Transfer?

I have made a one-off transfer to buy some perfume and although I have received itthe perfume, I am still a little bit worried about that they may have my BSB and Acc. Number. Is it paranoid?!
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:02 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Will my Acc No. and BSB appear on their internet bank account/bank statement when I make this one-off Transfer?

I have made a one-off transfer to buy some perfume and although I have received it, I am still a little bit worried that they may have my BSB and Acc. Number. Is it paranoid?! <<

I don't believe you *can* be too paranoid nowadays!

But think about it: if you sent them a cheque they would have both your BSB and account number on the cheque - plus your signature!

Just because someone has the bank account details doesn't mean they can access it: they must get further data such as PINs and your date of birth etc to be able to do anything.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Will my Acc No. and BSB appear on their internet bank account/bank statement when I make this one-off Transfer?
They will probably be able to work out which bank you sent it (i.e. CBA, NAB, ANZ) from if they are used to receiving transfers but will only see a numerical transaction reference and the reference you added when you did the transfer.

There is very little risk to someone having your BSB and account number, as others have said if you pay be cheque you would give people these details anyway.

The risk from bank transfers is purely having no comeback if you don't receive the goods or they aren't as described.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Will my Acc No. and BSB appear on their internet bank account/bank statement when I make this one-off Transfer?

I have made a one-off transfer to buy some perfume and although I have received it, I am still a little bit worried that they may have my BSB and Acc. Number. Is it paranoid?! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/redface.gif<<

I don't believe you *can* be too paranoid nowadays!

But think about it: if you sent them a cheque they would have both your BSB and account number on the cheque - plus your signature!

Just because someone has the bank account details doesn't mean they can access it: they must get further data such as PINs and your date of birth etc to be able to do anything.

Thank you, it was helpful
Old Jan 17th 2010, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

They will probably be able to work out which bank you sent it (i.e. CBA, NAB, ANZ) from if they are used to receiving transfers but will only see a numerical transaction reference and the reference you added when you did the transfer.

There is very little risk to someone having your BSB and account number, as others have said if you pay be cheque you would give people these details anyway.

The risk from bank transfers is purely having no comeback if you don't receive the goods or they aren't as described.
Thank you.

I checked their website (seller's website) again.

1- They have no telephone number!
2- They have no exact address!
3- They only have an email address on their website, and after I transfered the price of the good to their bank account they sent me an confirmation email.
4- I actually received the goods.

should I worry about anything?

Last edited by BARDI77; Jan 17th 2010 at 6:47 am.