Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How can I get some shade?

How can I get some shade?

Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:31 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default How can I get some shade?

I have a problem...

Until last year our house was bearable in the summer. Air-con kept us cool, decent insulation in the roof kept the cool air inside and shade all around the outside of the house seemed to do a decent job.

Then last summer *the* storm hit and cleaned up our front yard. As a result last summer we noticed that despite the back (south side) of our house remaining nice and cool, the front (north side) of our house stays hot. he simple reason being the north facing wall cops full sunshine all day long and works like an efficient storage heater...

So what can I do? The answer needs to be cheap(ish) but needs to passly wifely approval. If it were down to me I'd be screwing some kind of steel mesh a couple of inches off the wall and coating it in aluminium foil - but no doubt that would not pass the asthetics tests.

We could plant more stuff - but it'd take years to grow high enough to have any useful shadey effect and once its grown it requires constant maintainance which I *suck* at.

So give me some ideas? How can I stop this wall getting sun and turning my living room into an oven?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I get some shade?

I'd suggest that most heat is coming in via the window.
So the first thing to do is to shade the window with an awning.
Then plant some fast-growing non-evergreen trees to shield the wall.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:55 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

nah - its the wall that gets hot (warm to the touch today - on a hot january day it'd be too hot to touch) - and stays warm well past sundown as the bricks retain the heat.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
nah - its the wall that gets hot (warm to the touch today - on a hot january day it'd be too hot to touch) - and stays warm well past sundown as the bricks retain the heat.
What, hot on the inside?

You're supposed to have your living rooms in north-facing rooms for optimal energy efficiency. Those walls and windows should be shaded with decent sized eaves, though. Doesn't look like you've any eaves there, though!

In addition to (or instead of) the window awning, build a pergola and plant a vine over it to provide shade?
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:00 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Shade cloth?

Or something like this:

Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:03 am
ABCDiamond

I would consider some shade sails for that area..

Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:05 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Shade sails would have been my option too
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:06 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I would consider some shade sails for that area..
http://imgcache2.thewebconsole.com/S..._4a99eb68aba5b
Latticework similar to the above image might do the trick
Old Aug 30th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Take a read of this for some good shade ideas - http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/resources/4338.pdf
Old Aug 30th 2009, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get the wall insulated (eg. foam injected through plasterboard).
Old Aug 30th 2009, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
Latticework similar to the above image might do the trick
Are you not allowed to put up a proper carport type structure with/without planning permission?

I've seen loads of houses on Oz websites that have canopy/carport type structures already built on the house and around the sides.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 6:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Are you not allowed to put up a proper carport type structure with/without planning permission?

I've seen loads of houses on Oz websites that have canopy/carport type structures already built on the house and around the sides.
I would guess that there are rules governing that - especially in Australia. But maybe a wood-framed (non-permanent) construction is allowable?