Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

How "Australian" do you feel.

View Poll Results: How Australian do you actually feel.
0-2 - Not in the slighest and almost certain I never will
36.84%
3-5 - Didn't at all, but some Australian feelings are coming through.g to occur
10.53%
5-7: The UK (Or whereever) is starting to feel like a distant memory "Mate"
34.21%
8-10: Strewth mate was I ever anything else?
18.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

How "Australian" do you feel.

Old Dec 8th 2019, 2:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How "Australian" do you feel.

Originally Posted by quoll
Golly, must be more Australian than I thought. I occasionally say Strewth And I always say G'day even here in UK which I suppose might make some folk a bit confused. I'm also prone to "no sweat". Oh dear, it's worse than I thought!
My brother (in his late 50s) always says 'g'day' instead of hello. He's the quintessential Aussie. Come to think of it, I think I've heard him say 'strewth' a few times as well. And 'well bugger me up a gum tree'. He's from the uncouth side of the family you understand
Old Dec 8th 2019, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
My brother (in his late 50s) always says 'g'day' instead of hello. He's the quintessential Aussie. Come to think of it, I think I've heard him say 'strewth' a few times as well. And 'well bugger me up a gum tree'. He's from the uncouth side of the family you understand
The only times I ever heard "G'day" when I was growing up in the bush (Darling Downs, not all that far from civilisation) was from men from a lot further out. Then, it was a slow drawl - "gur-dye", with the emphasis on the second syllable, and a rising inflection. I never head the first syllable shortened, at all. I've never encountered Spouse's gum-tree expression, from that day to this. Maybe it's from Western Australia, although I never heard it the year we lived in Perth in 1971.

Or maybe he made it up; we've all done that once or twice! Once when he was four or five years old, when my son was sent upstairs to his bedroom for some misdemeanour by either me or his mother, he paused on the steps for long enough to curse us through his tears, "Bugger out of you!" We both burst into laughter, which of course made him even angrier, poor kid. Thereafter, she and I adopted it as a family expression. So I'm guessing that the gumtree expression began the same sort of way.
Old Dec 8th 2019, 11:20 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
The only times I ever heard "G'day" when I was growing up in the bush (Darling Downs, not all that far from civilisation) was from men from a lot further out. Then, it was a slow drawl - "gur-dye", with the emphasis on the second syllable, and a rising inflection. I never head the first syllable shortened, at all. I've never encountered Spouse's gum-tree expression, from that day to this. Maybe it's from Western Australia, although I never heard it the year we lived in Perth in 1971.

Or maybe he made it up; we've all done that once or twice! Once when he was four or five years old, when my son was sent upstairs to his bedroom for some misdemeanour by either me or his mother, he paused on the steps for long enough to curse us through his tears, "Bugger out of you!" We both burst into laughter, which of course made him even angrier, poor kid. Thereafter, she and I adopted it as a family expression. So I'm guessing that the gumtree expression began the same sort of way.
Most of our favourite expressions are family owned. My daughter's favourite (not sure if she created it or heard it) when something shocks/surprises her, which has passed up to me is 'Well **** me dead in a ditch!' Possibly highly inappropriate but there you go!
Old Dec 15th 2019, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I would imagine that the people that feel the most Australian wouldn't dream of even entertaining living back in the UK. So does happiness in being here actually fully relate to how Australian one feels.

Well never say never (I have learnt that the hard way in my life), but I wouldn't dream of even entertaining living back in the UK.

For me personally, I have never sought out British ex-pats whilst here. Husband is Australian. Friends are Australian. Colleagues are Australian. So of course some of that would have rubbed off on me along the way.

However, regardless of where you live, true happiness comes from within

Old Dec 19th 2019, 3:27 am
Forum Regular

Retirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond reputeRetirednow has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn’t get me back to Blighty. To awful to contemplate
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Happy Christmas All

The longer I have lived here the more I feel an English Australian. There are loads of things I do that I would do in both countries. I have found lots of crossover. Some things I do are v Australian and I may not have noticed. A need to whipper snip the crap out of things. A love of the High country and old properties. I am still not keen on the 4wd beer and bogan culture preferring to be on foot or ski or with a pack and rifle. Love the beach and become a convert: only took 10 years!

Occasionally I see news from the Uk and it does seem different especially when you see little houses and settings. The accents do seem bizarre, it seems the South East of England has now gone completely Estuary. You know you have been here too long when you find white collar Australians have better diction than UK pollies. Jeremy Corbyn sounds like he should be on the local council.

I occasionally say G'Day. A) I can do it, which helps, and B) always said at the right time and to the right audience. Timing is everything. :-)
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 5:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Jeremy Corbyn sounds like he should be on the local council.
As indeed may well be his option. ;-)
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 7:41 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been into the Barbie for years, but great to see some of you old boys and girls back here....Quoll I remember you on the MBTTUK forum and Dead Vim, you are still alive!!

I left Oz (Perth) in 2006 to come back to the UK and have never ever contemplated going back, I never thought I'd miss anything about Australia, but some 13 years later I do still think about wandering around Kings Park in the sunshine and lunch at Indianas (is it still there)....oh and Sunday afternoon at Freemantle market followed by fish and chips at Cicerellos. Would never consider going back to live there but one day we will return for a holiday.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 9:05 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I've come back to the UK to visit the family for Christmas, and I have to say that this time is the first time I've really considered myself to be more aussie than brit.

I find the place more dark and dank than I remember (even for a winter), the TV worse (how many perfume ads and charity begging?) and everything much more 'on top of each other' than I remembered. Doesn't mean Oz is perfect (not close), but somehow the insanity of brexit makes more sense when you see how parochial people are.

It kind of feels like two halves of one great country. If you could select the best from both, that's where I'd want to live.
Old Dec 24th 2019, 7:28 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I definitely feel Australian this morning, as I sit listening to the rain, and am happy at the sound

(Not that it's anywhere enough to make a difference, but it might mean an exhausted volunteer gets to spend a moment with their family),
Old Dec 24th 2019, 8:33 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I definitely feel Australian this morning, as I sit listening to the rain, and am happy at the sound

(Not that it's anywhere enough to make a difference, but it might mean an exhausted volunteer gets to spend a moment with their family),
Old Dec 25th 2019, 4:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Adelonians give it a half decent bash. Problem is some of them seem to have adopted the weirder UK traits as well.... more than their fair share. If anything out of the ordinary happens it happens over in SA.
Yes, Adelaideans are the Pommiest of Australians according to the interstate crowd 😁.
Old Dec 25th 2019, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Taken a while, but really enjoyed "Australian" Xmas here this year. Outside for dinner, with varying salads backdropping the meats and the happy sound of voices, laughter and BBQ smells from the other houses in our neighbourhood.

Especially now I've got the insects beat, with those outside Mortein auto sprayers and cut Lemons with cloves pushed in the open lemons scattered around the tables.

No Turkey this year, that's a first, Lamb and Pork cooked on a rotisserie with all the trimmings, including roast Vegies to back up the Salads....except save the Yorkies and Baked beans thanks

Seafood today outside and even more salads.... Avocado and charred corn, plus some kind of orange salad.

Perfect weather for it this year in Melbourne, you missed out GarryP... 27C and a drifting soft white cloud covered the beating sun every now and again, outside in my very green garden.

Helped with the relaxed move that I've finally given up work.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 5:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Taken a while, but really enjoyed "Australian" Xmas here this year. Outside for dinner, with varying salads backdropping the meats and the happy sound of voices, laughter and BBQ smells from the other houses in our neighbourhood.

Especially now I've got the insects beat, with those outside Mortein auto sprayers and cut Lemons with cloves pushed in the open lemons scattered around the tables.

No Turkey this year, that's a first, Lamb and Pork cooked on a rotisserie with all the trimmings, including roast Vegies to back up the Salads....except save the Yorkies and Baked beans thanks

Seafood today outside and even more salads.... Avocado and charred corn, plus some kind of orange salad.

Perfect weather for it this year in Melbourne, you missed out GarryP... 27C and a drifting soft white cloud covered the beating sun every now and again, outside in my very green garden.

Helped with the relaxed move that I've finally given up work.
Given up given up? Congratulations! Happy retirement Ozzie.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I swear people at work use the word maroon several times a shift cos they know how much it winds me up when they pronounce it wrong!

Have to say, the longer I spend here, the less I feel I fit, which I guess means I am growing even more un-Australian by the day. Roll on the day QSuper pays out.........
bet you love living in the Maroan state then come Origin time Polly!

one of my fav colours as it happens!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.