Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

house sale nightmare

house sale nightmare

Old Jul 29th 2006, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

Jez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of lightJez & Lorraine is a glorious beacon of light
Default house sale nightmare

Is it just us? had permanent visa since June 06, two house sales fell through at the start of the chain and no viewers since last week, want to start our new life in oz but feel now our home is like a ball and chain. All our money is in this house need it to sell before move. Anyone else been in this situation??
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:06 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: house sale nightmare

Originally Posted by Jez & Lorraine
Is it just us? had permanent visa since June 06, two house sales fell through at the start of the chain and no viewers since last week, want to start our new life in oz but feel now our home is like a ball and chain. All our money is in this house need it to sell before move. Anyone else been in this situation??

Hi

No it's not just you.
Had our visas since Aug 05, still trying to sell, people put in offers then we find they can't sell theirs or mortgage refused or changed their minds. Goes on and on, drives us nuts. Can't go until we sell, like you say, all the money is in the house.
Old Jul 29th 2006, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute

me toooooo

house been up over 8 weeks and not one viewer..changed EA and goes back on market next week at reduced price. i too need to sell to fund the move and have enough to support my son as he is planning to stay here till Jan 07.

worse thing though is im on SIR (495) visa granted july 05 validated oct 05 so im sure I have to be there by this oct...3 months and counting...causing my untold heartache..
Old Jul 29th 2006, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

Ours took forever, went on the market 23rd Feb, didn't get an offer until 22nd May and we've just exchanged (Thurs), our visa's were granted March 6th btw and all our dosh is tied up in the house also!

Hope things sort themselves out soon for you.

Best wishes,

Sara
Old Jul 29th 2006, 4:09 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold

Hi there, we will be in the same boat as you, need money from house to move. In the next few weeks we are getting a new kitchen fitted which should help, then when we get back from our reccie in October the house will be ready to go on the market - but the market is incredibly slow here so not looking forward to this at all. Good luck to you in selling your house though.
Clairex
Old Jul 29th 2006, 7:21 am
Poms in Limbo

Davelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to behold

Hi there! Yep we've had visas since July 05 and now been with 4 agents with only 6 viewers in 18 months.... Limbo-land is NOT a nice place to be. and that advert with the woman saying where the bl***y hell are you"! just rubs salt into the wounds aaghhh!!! and there;s really no way out is there.

so hope u fare better than us...
Old Jul 29th 2006, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

arghhhh, snap! House up for 3 months..only one effin viewing.A week later still no feedback. All agents much of a muchness I feel.(ie awful). Had visas since end May. Kitty 4; August 05, how are you still sane!?
Old Jul 29th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
Hi

No it's not just you.
Had our visas since Aug 05, still trying to sell, people put in offers then we find they can't sell theirs or mortgage refused or changed their minds. Goes on and on, drives us nuts. Can't go until we sell, like you say, all the money is in the house.
:scared: Have you really had your house on the market for a year ????
Old Jul 29th 2006, 11:29 pm
Poms in Limbo

Davelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to beholdDavelynd7 is a splendid one to behold
Cool Re: house sale nightmare

Originally Posted by ohippy

yep, to the month! dont get me wrong, its a nice house (hubby's a joiner and a perfectionist!!) so everything in tip top condition. Problem is the agents are so blase about getting people through the door, and around here (Merseyside/Lancs border) there just arent the buyers coming through in our price range (above 1st timers and below the 4-bed family conservatory types) - we think more people are just upping and moving to Spain etc, rather than hunting locally. We had 2 couples whove loved ours but cant sell their own.... Another viewing today so fingers crossed (just finished hoovering in 28 degree head phew!! (trial run for oz, eh?).

Good luck to everyone else with theirs, anyway. cheers!
Old Jul 30th 2006, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davelynd7
yep, to the month! dont get me wrong, its a nice house (hubby's a joiner and a perfectionist!!) so everything in tip top condition. Problem is the agents are so blase about getting people through the door, and around here (Merseyside/Lancs border) there just arent the buyers coming through in our price range (above 1st timers and below the 4-bed family conservatory types) - we think more people are just upping and moving to Spain etc, rather than hunting locally. We had 2 couples whove loved ours but cant sell their own.... Another viewing today so fingers crossed (just finished hoovering in 28 degree head phew!! (trial run for oz, eh?).

Good luck to everyone else with theirs, anyway. cheers!
I have my fingers crossed for you
Old Jul 30th 2006, 2:29 am
Life's a gamble

Suni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond reputeSuni&Jay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
Only a year? lol
Wait till you've had it up for 18months (ooerr misses)
Must had a about 30 viewers!
One chap made an offer but that was it.
Put it up for rent aswell so we'll see.
Still leaving in 2 weeks even if we don't sell/rent
Old Aug 12th 2006, 7:58 am
Poms in Limbo

Unhappy Re: house sale nightmare

YAHOOO!!!!! 12 MONTHS OF WAITING AND JUST GOT FULL ASKIKNG PRICE OFFER.... NOW IT SEEMS SCARY.... Ooooooh!

HELP - HAS ANYONE ELSE OUT THRE HAD 'WOBBLED' OR DOUBTS (2ND THOUGHTS) @ THIS STAGE PLEASE.... WE NEED SOME REASSURANCE - ITS ALL MOVING A BIT QUICK NOW, AFTER THE YEAR OF 'LIMBO'.....

WE'D PARTICULARLY LIKE TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO'VE GONE TO SUNSHINE COAST (BUDERIM, PEREGIAN, COOLUM...)

IS IT NATURAL TO SUDDENLY FEEL 'SCARED' LIKE THIS, AND TO DOUBT IF LETTING GO IS THE RIGHT THING.... AND EVEN TO CONSIDER BACKING OUT...???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????? AFTER A LONG 2YRS OF HAVING THE VISA AND WAITING - WHEN NOW ITS ALL SYSTEMS GO....

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY ADVICE.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

YAHOOO!!!!! 12 MONTHS OF WAITING AND JUST GOT FULL ASKIKNG PRICE OFFER.... NOW IT SEEMS SCARY.... Ooooooh!

HELP - HAS ANYONE ELSE OUT THRE HAD 'WOBBLED' OR DOUBTS (2ND THOUGHTS) @ THIS STAGE PLEASE.... WE NEED SOME REASSURANCE - ITS ALL MOVING A BIT QUICK NOW, AFTER THE YEAR OF 'LIMBO'.....

WE'D PARTICULARLY LIKE TO HEAR FROM THOSE WHO'VE GONE TO SUNSHINE COAST (BUDERIM, PEREGIAN, COOLUM...)

IS IT NATURAL TO SUDDENLY FEEL 'SCARED' LIKE THIS, AND TO DOUBT IF LETTING GO IS THE RIGHT THING.... AND EVEN TO CONSIDER BACKING OUT...???????????????????????????????????????????? ????????? AFTER A LONG 2YRS OF HAVING THE VISA AND WAITING - WHEN NOW ITS ALL SYSTEMS GO....

We've just had a firm offer for the full asking price after one year on the market. We too are off to the sunshine coast.
Yes, I'm getting scared now. No way will I back out, it's just all the organizing and the 'finalness' of it, as our house has been in the family for 25 years and we've spent loads on it, it's sort of personal. Seems weird that soon someone else will be living in it and I won't see it again. Just being sentimental. Really looking forward to going but know it's going to be really hard work.
Congratulations on your sale. We've been sitting here thinking, is anyone ever going to want to buy our house, then it all happens quickly.
Must have a meet up celebration when we all get there.
Old Aug 12th 2006, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

paulnangie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jez & Lorraine
We have had our house on the market since may 2005 and as of yet have not had ONE viewing!! Fortunately we have managed to sell another house that we had bought to renovate and we have enough cash to get over there. So we are going to rent ours our reluctantly! I fully sympathise with you. We got our visas back in sept 2004 and activated them in november 2004, hopefully be back over b4 Xmas .
Good luck !
Old Aug 12th 2006, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

Jeda will become famous soon enoughJeda will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: house sale nightmare

Hi there

If you weren't having doubts then I would worry. It is natural to feel what you're feeling and I bet everyone that does something like this will feel the same. It probably didn't feel real until now. I felt the same: talked about moving to Oz for a while, husband got visa, house on market, house sells and then aaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhh! It's really happening and you now have to get stuff in order, say goodbye and go. You're off and no looking back. It's scary stuff and risky too. But then, what if you pull out and stay put. How would you feel about that? I was terrified of leaving behind my parents in Bath, selling the house and going to Perth where I never been before, no job to go to, husband was not qualified to do anything other than drive a truck or work in a pub and we had no idea how it would turn out. I am from Sydney but had left it behind 13 years back and had no family or ties there anymore. It was a true "comfort zone stretcher". I wouldn't change anything. I love being here, I go to UK every 18months, we both have great jobs, I can see the Indian Ocean from my bedroom and I love it here. Don't worry, life is too short and if you don't give it a go then you'll always wonder. Have fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.