Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

The horror of glass bottles!

The horror of glass bottles!

Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default The horror of glass bottles!

A thread actually searching out glass bottles reminded me of this terrible story I'd read in the UK press.

Basically a young man lost his life due to an accident. He was in the wrong place at the wrong time. His amazing wife is trying to have the UK government stop glass bottles being sold in nightclubs, pubs etc.

She only needs 9000 more signatures to make it to 100,000 - she's awaiting the trial of the guilty persons as I type. Her courage and the way she's tackled this campaign are inspiring. She has two young children and I don't know if I were in her situation that I'd have coped as well as she has.

http://www.pop-campaign.co.uk/

I really don't know how she'll get on banning glass bottles but it's got to be worth 5 minutes of looking at her site and perhaps signing
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:03 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of
Default Re: The horror of glass bottles!

At risk of sounding like one of those "guns don't kill people - people kill people" nutter I would be mildly miffed if this got up.

Whilst I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone who ends up on the receiving end of a drunken violent thug, I'm not convinced that widespread bans are the right solution.

I think we have to consider that glass bottles do provide significant value when used properly over the usual alternatives. If you're drinking sensibly, glass bottles are perfectly safe and either decanting to plastic glasses or being served plastic bottles would simply be horrible - (It'd save me a fortune though and a lot of people would go home sober a lot more often!)

With guns of course its difficult to make ANY legitimate argument for how they improve anyones life - but glass? glass is GREAT... it can be cleaned and reused, it feels nice, it retains temperature better than plastic etc etc etc

DONT SIGN!!!! Keep the glass!!!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

To a point.. But in night clubs they should use plastic cups and supply beer in plastic bottles too. BWS or supermarket can sell glass.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:17 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
At risk of sounding like one of those "guns don't kill people - people kill people" nutter I would be mildly miffed if this got up.

Whilst I have a great deal of sympathy for anyone who ends up on the receiving end of a drunken violent thug, I'm not convinced that widespread bans are the right solution.

I think we have to consider that glass bottles do provide significant value when used properly over the usual alternatives. If you're drinking sensibly, glass bottles are perfectly safe and either decanting to plastic glasses or being served plastic bottles would simply be horrible - (It'd save me a fortune though and a lot of people would go home sober a lot more often!)

With guns of course its difficult to make ANY legitimate argument for how they improve anyones life - but glass? glass is GREAT... it can be cleaned and reused, it feels nice, it retains temperature better than plastic etc etc etc

DONT SIGN!!!! Keep the glass!!!
I don't understand the bit in bold. I also don't understand the need for glass bottles or glasses in a pub setting but that's me. Anyway, the significant value???
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I also don't understand the need for glass bottles or glasses in a pub setting but that's me.
The flavour.

And I don't agree with it. Typical nanny state, lets ban everything.

How about having proper punishments for crime and letting the people who like a beer out of a bottle carry on?

Last edited by Bibbs; Oct 24th 2012 at 5:32 am.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:32 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
The flavour.
Apparently the beer in this country is so piss poor, I can't see what damage a plastic cup could do to it. People don't go to the type of pubs and clubs were most of these fights break out for the quality of the alcohol. They go to get wasted for some unknown reason.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:47 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

They give you an advantage if you get into a bar fight though
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Amazulu
They give you an advantage if you get into a bar fight though
Is it wrong I laughed?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

I like my beer in a bottle, I understand.

However flick knives are banned for a reason, a broken bottle does more damage. My brother got caught in a club years ago, the guy attacked lost his eye. They were just minding their own business, having a quiet drink after work.

Did you read the story?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 9:12 am

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

...and people are killed each year by cars but we don't ban them do we?

Some things are capable of causing horrible injuries when not used properly. trying to ban everything is not the solution.

if a pub serves beer in a plastic, I'll have one drink and leave - never to darken its halls again. it's a travesty - beer in plastic should be illegal for crimes against taste (Perhaps I'll start a petition)?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

glass is GREAT... it can be cleaned and reused, it feels nice, it retains temperature better than plastic etc etc etc
Polycarbonate beer mugs can be cleaned and reused as well. I don't see an issue in pubs & clubs having to use this kind of alternative to glass - if you want to drink from a glass mug, then drink at home. If you want the social aspect of a pub then accept the need to drink from a polycarbonate mug or similar. Makes sense to me.
...and people are killed each year by cars but we don't ban them do we?
No, but we ban drunk people from driving cars - and if someone is caught driving over the limit then they face the consequence. Likewise, a glass mug shouldn't be an issue, however add alcohol to the equation (just like with cars) then it can become a problem.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:05 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The think is glass has been used forever by morons in fights, my brother had a huge scar literally the length of his cheek from being glassed in a fight in Geelong back in the very early 70's. Harsher penalties would help stop it but even that is debatable.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 9:30 pm

I'm pretty sure you could do some severe damage with a broken dinner plate if you were so inclined. Should we force all restaurants that open to the public to use paper plates? After all if you WANT to eat of china you can do that at home!

Drinking out of a cold glass, or a chilled bottle in a pub is one of the few luxuries some of us have in life. Force the pubs to serve in plastic and the quality of the experience is badly diminished and I'd bet most pubs would see a dramatic drop in patronage.

Banning something enjoyed by millions simply because a pitifull few idiots misuse is simply not a solution to the worlds woes.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 11:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure you could do some severe damage with a broken dinner plate if you were so inclined. Should we force all restaurants that open to the public to use paper plates? After all if you WANT to eat of china you can do that at home!

Drinking out of a cold glass, or a chilled bottle in a pub is one of the few luxuries some of us have in life. Force the pubs to serve in plastic and the quality of the experience is badly diminished and I'd bet most pubs would see a dramatic drop in patronage.

Banning something enjoyed by millions simply because a pitifull few idiots misuse is simply not a solution to the worlds woes.
The Nanny State Culture....what happened to making people take responsibility for their actions instead of trying to legislate against every little possible thing?
Old Oct 25th 2012, 5:04 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The Nanny State Culture
Next thing you know, even the plastic beer glasses will be banned.

We'll all have to drink from the taps!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.