Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Wikiposts

Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:34 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The roaches are effin massive evil bastards too!
Agreed
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

AlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the roughAlanEll is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
And on the 8th day God invented the bloody big roach swat.

Works a treat.

JTL

(also known as a fly swat, but used in anger)
And is it true about the effin bastard magpies also???
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanEll
Well yes, they swoop on you.

So do bloody Plovers if they nest in your garden.

Honestly we've got a pair of nesting Plovers in our garden now, so when I go to cut the grass, I have to carry an umbrella, as they swoop very violently. They'd like to kill me if they could.

JTL
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:40 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlanEll
Yeah apparently they are right effers too, but I haven't came across an effer yet - think they know better though
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:41 am

Well yes, they swoop on you.

So do bloody Plovers if they nest in your garden.

Honestly we've got a pair of nesting Plovers in our garden now, so when I go to cut the grass, I have to carry an umbrella, as they swoop very violently. They'd like to kill me if they could.

JTL
What's your address?

So I can steal all yer brollies
Old Apr 8th 2010, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jan4kids
So good to hear from you and that things have turned out well :0) AND I'm just loving your sense of humour

Jan
Cheers Jan.....I'm just sat here reading my emails about to walk the dogs, go to work, come home early and go to the marina for a G&T....or should I say 'I'll rock up later at the Marina for a beer".....life's good....even with the bugs n mad birds!!

x
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:03 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by northernbird
It has its faults and problems, it is the individuals ability to deal with those faults and problems that is usually the issue.
Some individuals prefer not to try to adjust to a new country.

Originally Posted by The Crow
I'm sure parts of it are and I'm sure some people's experiences are.
We have been very fortunate
A lot if us seem to be very fortunate

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I've only ever lived in places I loved and that goes for Oz too!
Its not perfect but its right for us at the moment and hopefully for years to come.
I think many people will agree with that.

Originally Posted by Deancm
What makes you think that life is going to be any different/better than what you have now in the UK?

The only differences that I find is that there is less going on, it is introspected, and the weather is better. Oh, and they have a different accent and pay more tax.
Only the higher paid pay more tax..

Comparison of Australian and UK wage and tax rates
Based on 4.4 times the average/median Male Full time earnings for each country. Total deductions as a percentage of gross earnings ($280k pa)
35.7% UK
39.5% Aus

Based on the average/median Male Full time earnings for each country. Total deductions as a percentage of gross earnings ($70k pa)
23.9% UK
23.7% Aus

(I had to throw some stats in )

I did consider the alternative reply of agreeing that Australians pay more tax, but only because the average wage is so much higher

Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:06 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

And on the 8th day God invented the bloody big roach swat.

Works a treat.

JTL

(also known as a fly swat, but used in anger)
Did you get the Aussie shaped one? You've got to be careful that they don't escape through the Gulf of Carpentaria.

Last edited by MartinLuther; Apr 8th 2010 at 2:11 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some individuals prefer not to try to adjust to a new country.

A lot if us seem to be very fortunate

I think many people will agree with that.

Only the higher paid pay more tax..

Comparison of Australian and UK wage and tax rates
Based on 4.4 times the average/median Male Full time earnings for each country. Total deductions as a percentage of gross earnings ($280k pa)
35.7% UK
39.5% Aus

Based on the average/median Male Full time earnings for each country. Total deductions as a percentage of gross earnings ($70k pa)
23.9% UK
23.7% Aus

(I had to throw some stats in )

I did consider the alternative reply of agreeing that Australians pay more tax, but only because the average wage is so much higher
And if you take employers contributions into account even the higher paid are taxed less in Aus.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Australia certainly isn't as bad as some people make out, but it also isn't the nirvana that some people make out either.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Australia certainly isn't as bad as some people make out, but it also isn't the nirvana that some people make out either.
You'll be banned if you talk any more sense!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Arrived four years ago.... hated it.
Four years on... its OK.

I don't think Australia changed in those four years
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Four years on... its OK.

I liked it straight away but definitely had some rose tints on. Still perfectly happy but now much more realistic about it all. You've probably noticed more than most as I recall us having some ding dongs at one point!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:25 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kporte
I liked it straight away but definitely had some rose tints on. Still perfectly happy but now much more realistic about it all. You've probably noticed more than most as I recall us having some ding dongs at one point!
I think we both just moved towards a more sensible and reasonable position. Australia is a bloody good country to live... there are Hell of a lot of countries worse off than Oz.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:28 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Four years on... its OK.

You've got thicker then?

It's a joke!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.