Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Wikiposts

Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of
Default Re: Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Absolutely. There are many things wrong with this country but it is still a great place to live. One of the best places in the world IMO.
Totally agree with you.

I love Australia but I am not blind to it's imperfections. I just deal with them and move on - just like I would in the UK.
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future
Default Re: Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Originally Posted by SammyJ

As for Blackburn being multicultural, well yes it is but so is Sydney and it is one of the things I love as I find it fascinating to learn about different cultures. Does feel strange thinking of myself as an immigrant as it seems to have such negative connotations attached to it but I believe in 'when in Rome'

Sam

'When in Rome'....perfect!! Couldn't have said it better myself!!

Well I hope that it works out well for you...and for us too! We are headed to Perth so maybe we will have less rain (and wish for more?!)....we have no 2yr plan! Infact we haven't got much of a plan at all!! But I can tell you that even if Perth isn't for us (or more importantly, if the work is scarce in Paul's line of work) then we will move on....but not back!
Anyone got a place for us to stay when we arrive??? haha!! My next job!!

Good luck, Lisa,xx
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:11 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Re: Be honest! Do you think Australia is as bad as some people make out?<<

Put it like this: in which other country would a senator feel miffed at being told to take her baby out of the chamber - and be backed up by several other senators?
Just about any country you care to name. Australia doesn't have a monopoly on idiots.

Glad I could help.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Australia is definately not as bad as Skegness or Blackburn. Although they are both battling for the UK title of biggest shite 'ole alongside Folkstone (Even the stoney beach has weeds!) I think I would rather go on a family fly drive holiday to Iraq or a boat trip around Somalia.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

snoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant futuresnoo has a brilliant future

I've just been flicking through some old posts and dear god did we make the best move!! It's fabulous! So No....Australia (Perth) is not as bad...not bad at all....erm bogans n hoons excepted (haha! Get ME with the lingo!!)
Been here 7 months, got good jobs as soon as we arrived (which was a good job as we were almost broke!)....soon to buy a property. Our 16yr old obnoxious 'I AM going to HATE it in australia' Daughter now loves it...took a while...but she loves it. She's actually back in the UK for a hol which we booked at Xmas and when we took her to the airport she didn't really want to go.
And as you can imagine, the dogs are loving it....out with the parrots in the morning on the park...instead of with the rain n mud! Down on the dog beach meeting their equally excited and happy pals in the evening!
We've so many friends we have to turn invites down.
Back to my Mojito...

Lisa,x......p.s. The avatar is at Hamlin Bay, the rays are wild.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:18 am
Chan eil aon chànan gu le

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmm.........depends - yes for some, no for most
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:21 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
Mmmm.........depends - yes for some, no for most
Not like you to talk sense!!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:24 am

scottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond reputescottishcelts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
Not like you to talk sense!!

I is always talking sensely
Old Apr 8th 2010, 1:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I don't. In fact far from it!

You will catch me knocking this place, especially to new migrants, and to fellow Australians. Oh yes Sir..Would you believe my material is almost in it's entirety, gleaned from this forum?

It's fashionable to be critical of Australia and abscribe to it all sorts of inherent structural defects the likes not found anywhere in the world. Ssssh...don't tell anyone! Don't ask me no questions and I won't tell you no lies..you know the drill...
I've been thinking about this, as I'm going back to the UK for the first time in 6 years to meet all kinds of friends and family, I need to figure out how to describe Brisbane. After weeks of profound thought and analysis I came up with this:

Its the same shit with warmer weather and more flies.

JTL
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I've been thinking about this, as I'm going back to the UK for the first time in 6 years to meet all kinds of friends and family, I need to figure out how to describe Brisbane. After weeks of profound thought and analysis I came up with this:

JTL
You'll never make it as an author
Old Apr 8th 2010, 2:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
You'll never make it as an author
I drew on the thoughts of all the great philosophers to come up with my summary of Brisbane. .

But true, it would be a very short novel. I could do a short chapter on rednecks and hoons to fill it out..

You're not a publisher by any chance?

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Apr 8th 2010 at 2:14 am.
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by JackTheLad

JTL
... not forgetting the roaches and effin massive evil bastard spiders!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:27 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottishcelts
... not forgetting the roaches and effin massive evil bastard spiders!
The roaches are effin massive evil bastards too!
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:31 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoo
I've just been flicking through some old posts and dear god did we make the best move!! It's fabulous! So No....Australia (Perth) is not as bad...not bad at all....erm bogans n hoons excepted (haha! Get ME with the lingo!!)
Been here 7 months, got good jobs as soon as we arrived (which was a good job as we were almost broke!)....soon to buy a property. Our 16yr old obnoxious 'I AM going to HATE it in australia' Daughter now loves it...took a while...but she loves it. She's actually back in the UK for a hol which we booked at Xmas and when we took her to the airport she didn't really want to go.
And as you can imagine, the dogs are loving it....out with the parrots in the morning on the park...instead of with the rain n mud! Down on the dog beach meeting their equally excited and happy pals in the evening!
We've so many friends we have to turn invites down.
Back to my Mojito...

Lisa,x......p.s. The avatar is at Hamlin Bay, the rays are wild.
So good to hear from you and that things have turned out well :0) AND I'm just loving your sense of humour

Jan
Old Apr 8th 2010, 3:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The roaches are effin massive evil bastards too!
And on the 8th day God invented the bloody big roach swat.

Works a treat.

JTL

(also known as a fly swat, but used in anger)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.