Homesickness

Old Sep 29th 2011, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of
Default Homesickness

OK so I have been here for six weeks and in general life couldn't be better.

We have been so, so lucky and everything has just fallen in place for us and I don't want to appear ungrateful because I'm not and I do truly feel blessed, but yet here I am whinging about how homesick I am. I know that we are far better off here than we would ever be in the UK but the flip side of this is that I am pretty much on my own for a great deal of the time (husband works away) and to top it off, I'm missing my family and friends so much I feel like I'm pining for them. I start work on Monday so I'm hoping that things will get better once I start to meet people, but I get the feeling that my wanting to be near my loved ones is only going to get worse. It almost feels like I have it all and have nothing at the same time.

I guess I'm quite lonely despite being quite happy (if that even makes sense?).

Do you ever get used to your nearest and dearest being so far away and how long does it take on average to feel more settled?
Old Sep 29th 2011, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Homesickness

Originally Posted by Kamie26

We have been so, so lucky and everything has just fallen in place for us and I don't want to appear ungrateful because I'm not and I do truly feel blessed, but yet here I am whinging about how homesick I am. I know that we are far better off here than we would ever be in the UK but the flip side of this is that I am pretty much on my own for a great deal of the time (husband works away) and to top it off, I'm missing my family and friends so much I feel like I'm pining for them. I start work on Monday so I'm hoping that things will get better once I start to meet people, but I get the feeling that my wanting to be near my loved ones is only going to get worse. It almost feels like I have it all and have nothing at the same time.

Do you ever get used to your nearest and dearest being so far away and how long does it take on average to feel more settled?
It can take up to 6 months to start feeling normal, even for those of us who didn't feel homesick (or peoplesick)

Give yourself some time to adjust and settle down. Get yourself out and about and make sure you take up every invite you get. Look in the meet ups section and see if there's any meets in your area, they are fantastic for making friends - or even just having someone who knows what it's like.
Old Sep 29th 2011, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone gets homesick... Anyone whomtells you difeerent is a liar..

It gets easier.... The periods of extreme home sickness get fewer and farther between...

Because your OH works away YOU have to make a HUGE effort to get out and meet people... Where abouts aRe you?

i would quite happily have packed me bags and gone home in the first year, IF I had the chance and IF I didnt know if I did it'd be on my own...

I would LOVE a visit to the uk right now.... If nothing else to remind myself how good things are for us... But that wont be happening unless I win the lotto...

Its hardest when shit happens and you have no one on hand to give you a hug... Like when we lost our yet to be born grandchild and when HE got bitten by a tiger snake, all in the same weekend... Whose still when some one dies and you cant be there to support family/friends .... BUT honestly... I would NOT go back now to live.... Even if I still get the odd twinge
Old Sep 29th 2011, 10:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

It gets easier.... The periods of extreme home sickness get fewer and farther between...

Because your OH works away YOU have to make a HUGE effort to get out and meet people... Where abouts aRe you?

i would quite happily have packed me bags and gone home in the first year, IF I had the chance and IF I didnt know if I did it'd be on my own...

I would LOVE a visit to the uk right now.... If nothing else to remind myself how good things are for us... But that wont be happening unless I win the lotto...

Its hardest when shit happens and you have no one on hand to give you a hug... Like when we lost our yet to be born grandchild and when HE got bitten by a tiger snake, all in the same weekend... Whose still when some one dies and you cant be there to support family/friends .... BUT honestly... I would NOT go back now to live.... Even if I still get the odd twinge
Thats what gets me most these days I think. I am so desperate for a hug by the time I get home; I bottle so much up cos I can't let go without someone to hug me better. Sounds crazy coming home for a hug every 6 months, but ...........
Old Sep 30th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of

So I decided that I was board sitting in on my todd last night and wanted to go for a bit of a wander. It would seem that was a bad idea since I had my bag stolen. House key's, car keys, prada purse that was a gift the whole flucking lot, I seriously just want to cry.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 5:44 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no!! I'm so sorry you had your bag stolen That totally sucks.

Where are you based? I'm working but am also finding it a bit weird, I have some friends here but it's not the same. If you're in Sydney I'd be well up for a coffee after work some day and a chat

Therese
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I am not a liar when I say I never really felt homesick for the first year. Sure there were odd little things I missed, like Cadbury's chocolate, and also my friends in the musical societies I belonged to. But real homesickness? No. I didn't want to go back, though in the second year I returned to have my 50th with friends and family. Now, having done 3 years, I am finding that the UK is too far away- mainly because of family being very ill and me not being there to help. I still wouldn't go back permanently, but oh how I wish it was just a short flight and not wildly expensive.
My OH is often away or working long hours, and I am unable to get out in the evenings as I have MS and am in bed by 8:30, so often I sit at home on the computer, while DD is at school, and don't talk to anyone all day.

If you can, get out and make friends.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 8:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Only time I have been homesick in 5 years is when I went to the UK - couldn't wait to get back here.
Old Sep 30th 2011, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the input, its definatly good to see other peoples opinions. I don't know what caused me to have such a wibble yesterday guess its just hitting me that this is my home now. So, so gutted about my bag though it was my fav, it was a bloodly find as well got it for a song in the All Saints sale.

Had a bit of good news today, the hubby has got himself another job. He still has to go away but he's doing a 4 on 4 off shift, which is a damn site better than the 10 on 4 off that he's currently doing. It's going to be real good to spend more time with him.

Therese, unfortunately I'm up on the sunshine coast (Twin Waters to be exact) or I'd deffo take you up on that. If your ever in the area let me know
Old Oct 4th 2011, 1:40 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the input, its definatly good to see other peoples opinions. I don't know what caused me to have such a wibble yesterday guess its just hitting me that this is my home now. So, so gutted about my bag though it was my fav, it was a bloodly find as well got it for a song in the All Saints sale.

Had a bit of good news today, the hubby has got himself another job. He still has to go away but he's doing a 4 on 4 off shift, which is a damn site better than the 10 on 4 off that he's currently doing. It's going to be real good to spend more time with him.

Therese, unfortunately I'm up on the sunshine coast (Twin Waters to be exact) or I'd deffo take you up on that. If your ever in the area let me know
Will do! Feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime, especially if you have another wibble!

Therese
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:23 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It affects different people in different ways, probably influenced by where you were living in the UK and where you live now. My wife has lived here for 20 odd years on and off and has always been homesick. She is from Bath so she misses all the beautiful buildings, countryside, etc etc. I was bought up here but still feel homesick for England and we are moving back in a few months. For US life is no better here than it would be there so there is a big draw but obviously for others that have perhaps 'escaped' a not very nice area the feelings will be much reduced.
Everyones situation is different and it must be dealt with accordingly. I do think it must be terrible not to miss your homeland and things must have been awful to feel that way.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 2:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Have a couple of beers and get over it
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Thats a change to the usual advice of

Drink some cement and harden the **** up
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Thats a change to the usual advice of

Drink some cement and harden the **** up
Now that you mention it.........
Old Oct 4th 2011, 7:45 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
It affects different people in different ways, probably influenced by where you were living in the UK and where you live now. My wife has lived here for 20 odd years on and off and has always been homesick. She is from Bath so she misses all the beautiful buildings, countryside, etc etc. I was bought up here but still feel homesick for England and we are moving back in a few months. For US life is no better here than it would be there so there is a big draw but obviously for others that have perhaps 'escaped' a not very nice area the feelings will be much reduced.
Everyones situation is different and it must be dealt with accordingly. I do think it must be terrible not to miss your homeland and things must have been awful to feel that way.
Why have you assumed if someone prefers Aus over UK it's cos they came from a shite place in UK

Originally Posted by Amazulu
As you can see.....zulu is not our resident Agony Aunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.