British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Homesickness (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/homesickness-478448/)

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 5:50 pm

Homesickness

I've read a lot of threads about 'homesickness' over the years of being here.

I have not suffered it at all ...been very happy here since I arrived, with no doubts, or regrets..and although a miss a few people, we are in touch - so it's ok :)
I know I'm lucky - but it seems to me that people almost 'expect' to have homesickness - that they are virtually waiting for it to kick in :confused:

What do you think? What are peoples experiences of this state of mind?

Ray Sep 1st 2007 5:56 pm

Re: Homesickness

The thought of going back make me feel sick ....

Wendy Sep 1st 2007 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262534)

I have not suffered it at all ...been very happy here since I arrived, with no doubts, or regrets..and although a miss a few people, we are in touch - so it's ok :)
I know I'm lucky - but it seems to me that people almost 'expect' to have homesickness - that they are virtually waiting for it to kick in :confused:

I've noticed that too, especially over the past few days. Quite a few posts have said 'you WILL get homesick' :confused: It is like some are sat waiting for it to kick in - maybe that's why they get it. :unsure:

Maybe it's not homesickness but discontent or even boredom with something, but is put down to homesickness because they expect to feel it. :confused:

I haven't been 'homesick' at all either. I did feel a bit down when my lad went home, but not cos I wanted to go back - just because it was strange not having him around and I miss him. But there's no way I'd go back just because I miss a few people (well OK just one :D)

Funny old world innit :D

PS: Ray, I agree

walla Sep 1st 2007 5:59 pm

I went back for a holiday in July, I couldn't wait to get back to Oz, I was homesick, does that count?

iPom Sep 1st 2007 6:00 pm

I was homesick once, for about half an hour... actually, not sure it was that long. About 15 mins maybe...

I got off my arse, went and had a fabulous coffee, did a bit of recreational shopping and looked at the mountains.

Sorted.

Hasn't happened again.

Look forward not back.

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 6:08 pm

:)

This maybe be seen as controversial ... but do people think that those who expect to get homesick really have 100% commitment to coming here do you think ?

Pollyana Sep 1st 2007 6:08 pm

Its a very odd thing homesickness, strangest things can spark it off. I never in a million years expected it to affect me, but it kicked in after about 2 months, hit me like a sledgehammer, and I've not got over it since.

iPom Sep 1st 2007 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262558)

This maybe be seen as controversial ... but do people think that those who expect to get homesick really have 100% commitment to coming here do you think ?

I think some people let it happen and others don't. I don't think it's something we have to suffer... I think it's a choice. You either have a certain mindset or you don't....

What is homesickness though?

Feeling the loss of things you know and are familiar with?

Well if that's the case, get familiar with a load of other stuff....

I don't see the point of hanging on to 'stuff' from my past... it's old and gone...

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5262563)
Its a very odd thing homesickness, strangest things can spark it off. I never in a million years expected it to affect me, but it kicked in after about 2 months, hit me like a sledgehammer, and I've not got over it since.

What was it that got to you Polly ?

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 5262569)
I think some people let it happen and others don't. I don't think it's something we have to suffer... I think it's a choice. You either have a certain mindset or you don't....

What is homesickness though?

Feeling the loss of things you know and are familiar with?

Well if that's the case, get familiar with a load of other stuff....

I don't see the point of hanging on to 'stuff' from my past... it's old and gone...

My view exactly....

But when people write as though it WILL happen, I think is not very fair to those who are just starting on the journey ...another thing on the list to worry about ....

ozzieeagle Sep 1st 2007 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5262541)
The thought of going back make me feel sick ....

When I first arrived in Aus, I used to have Nightmares about waking up back in England. I've never suffered from homesickness. I was amazed about the draw I felt to the UK after my last holiday, after 24 years here though.

I'm still trying to work out the reasons for that feeling. I have worked out that I'm more Aussie than Pom now. So whatever that feeling was, its probably a rosetinted pipedream. Probably something to do with the Male Menopause lol !

walla Sep 1st 2007 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262575)
My view exactly....

But when people write as though it WILL happen, I think is not very fair to those who are just starting on the journey ...another thing on the list to worry about ....

They're better off going to Spain, easier to get "home"

iPom Sep 1st 2007 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5262579)
They're better off going to Spain, easier to get "home"

Well 'home' is just where my stuff is. It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

walla Sep 1st 2007 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 5262582)
Well 'home' is just where my stuff is. It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

Aye, as well as me dog and work.

iPom Sep 1st 2007 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5262585)
Aye, as well as me dog and work.

..and the kids... :D

But they're going to move out one day, so I don't include them.

walla Sep 1st 2007 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 5262587)
..and the kids... :D

But they're going to move out one day, so I don't include them.

Hopefully mine will be gone in about 3 years:D

ozzieeagle Sep 1st 2007 6:27 pm

Tell you what I did feel very strange about. My Uncle and Aunt, who came here after my cousin (his son). They lived for a while out in Melton, following my very transient cousin around Melbourne, who moved every 6-8 years or so. Well my Uncle died in a nursing home in Melton, and is buried there. All his siblings are buried in one part of London, going back generations. My cousin has moved up to Qland, and poor old Uncle George is buried in a part of the country where no one will ever ever visit him, miles away from anything that connected him with anything or anyone.

Tis a bit odd, with my closeknit family background etc. It's played on my mind a bit.

iPom Sep 1st 2007 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 5262593)
... poor old Uncle George is buried in a part of the country where no one will ever ever visit him, miles away from anything that connected him with anything or anyone.

But he doesn't mind... he's not here to care. It's just us who care.

Vim Fuego Sep 1st 2007 6:34 pm

I am home ... and I guess there lies the difference ... simplistic but true ...

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5262605)
I am home ... and I guess there lies the difference ... simplistic but true ...

Yes :)

walla Sep 1st 2007 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262609)
Yes :)

Seconded.

Sally Sep 1st 2007 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262558)

I had never been homesick before and 100% didn't expect it. It is a really dreadful and illogical feeling. I'm pretty much over it now but I don't believe it is linked to your expectations.

walla Sep 1st 2007 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5262641)
I had never been homesick before and 100% didn't expect it. It is a really dreadful and illogical feeling. I'm pretty much over it now but I don't believe it is linked to your expectations.

Can't you sleep?

Sally Sep 1st 2007 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5262651)
Can't you sleep?

I just finished beating the Space Invaders game!!

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5262641)

Were you absolutely sure of going to the US when you did?

Glad you're over it now :)

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5262655)

Just beaten yourself ?:D

walla Sep 1st 2007 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5262655)

Aren't you a bit old for games?:D

Sally Sep 1st 2007 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262659)
Were you absolutely sure of going to the US when you did?

Glad you're over it now :)

Yeah I was really keen.

I think people should be advised there's a possibility they could feel differently to the way they may believe - it could help them stick with it and not rashly go back.

With me it wasn't helped by my son being very upset about the move - I felt terrible and really questioned what I was throwing the kids into.

Sally Sep 1st 2007 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262662)
Just beaten yourself ?:D

I'll have so much free time now :)

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5262670)
Yeah I was really keen.

I think people should be advised there's a possibility they could feel differently to the way they may believe - it could help them stick with it and not rashly go back.

With me it wasn't helped by my son being very upset about the move - I felt terrible and really questioned what I was throwing the kids into.

Yes...agree with the thing you said about possibility - but there are so many posts/threads on this particular forum that put over it WILL happen ...and I just think that it's not helpful.

Sally Sep 1st 2007 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262684)
Yes...agree with the thing you said about possibility - but there are so many posts/threads on this particular forum that put over it WILL happen ...and I just think that it's not helpful.

Agree - it's become polarised in the Aus forums from what I see on here (when I stay up late!)

walla Sep 1st 2007 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5262670)
Yeah I was really keen.

We nearly went back after 6 months, daughter couldn't settle, she was 13 at the time, now she's flying...

Dorothy Sep 1st 2007 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262684)

Agree. I have been waiting 13 months for the homesickness to kick in and it hasn't yet. Of course it hasn't all been smooth sailing here but I've never had an urge to go back where I came from. I don't understand people saying to expect it. Not everyone will.

Sally Sep 1st 2007 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5262690)
We nearly went back after 6 months, daughter couldn't settle, she was 13 at the time, now she's flying...

Such a hard age to move them - glad she's doing so well :)

Dorothy Sep 1st 2007 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5262690)

13 is a tough age for a girl. My daughter is 13 and she's just a big bundle of conflicting hormones at the moment. I can't imagine throwing in a cross the world move in too.

Poppett44 Sep 1st 2007 7:11 pm

No matter how much research you put into emigrating I'm sure that no one is 100% certain that things will work out for them.
A lot of people can't afford to do a reccie before they come either and can get a bit of a shock when Aus doesn't live up to their expectations.

The first couple of months after you arrive your emotions are all over the place, and little things can suddenly bring on an unexplainable longing for the familiar,, I had a bizarre moment in Bunnings once (:rofl:) I felt like I was in B&Q in the UK and I felt disorientated for hours!!!!

I still miss M&S after a year,, but would I ever go back to live in the UK?? NOPE!! way to many things here that are a million times better than an hour in M&S!!

I think your ability to adapt to new situations will determine how much homesickness you may or may not suffer, obviously people that don't like change will suffer the most,, doesn't mean they'll suffer for ever though :)

walla Sep 1st 2007 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 5262696)
13 is a tough age for a girl. My daughter is 13 and she's just a big bundle of conflicting hormones at the moment. I can't imagine throwing in a cross the world move in too.

We got here at the wrong time, just before the October holidays so she didn't make any connections or friends at first, then before we knew it it was the summer holidays, still no friends. Luckily son took her out with him as he'd just passed his driving test, 6 months of hell, the rest they say is history...

walla Sep 1st 2007 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sally (Post 5262695)
Such a hard age to move them - glad she's doing so well :)

Ta muchly:)

Weirdstone Sep 1st 2007 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by Poppett44 (Post 5262697)
No matter how much research you put into emigrating I'm sure that no one is 100% certain that things will work out for them.
A lot of people can't afford to do a reccie before they come either and can get a bit of a shock when Aus doesn't live up to their expectations.

The first couple of months after you arrive your emotions are all over the place, and little things can suddenly bring on an unexplainable longing for the familiar,, I had a bizarre moment in Bunnings once (:rofl:) I felt like I was in B&Q in the UK and I felt disorientated for hours!!!!

I still miss M&S after a year,, but would I ever go back to live in the UK?? NOPE!! way to many things here that are a million times better than an hour in M&S!!

I think your ability to adapt to new situations will determine how much homesickness you may or may not suffer, obviously people that don't like change will suffer the most,, doesn't mean they'll suffer for ever though :)

You are writing as though 'homesickness' is to be expected !

framac Sep 1st 2007 7:24 pm

Its such a strange feeling and was it really homesickness or just a sudden need for the familiar. I dont know but I just got so fed up with this place but in saying that, I got fed up with the UK and I hadn't moved anywhere.:confused: I lay dying in a hospital bed for 6 weeks and still didn't want to go home so why this sudden yearning for home at that particular time. The only thing I miss about home (apart from cheese and onion and all that kind of stuff) is my people. Not everybody, just close family who I could pop in and see when I felt like it. Ok, they're on the end of a phone but it aint the same but I couldn't honestly see myself going home unless I was on the floor in a ball screaming.:thumbup: Here's hoping that never happens.:thumbsup: