British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Homesickness (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/homesickness-478448/)

Weirdstone Sep 2nd 2007 5:50 am

Homesickness

I've read a lot of threads about 'homesickness' over the years of being here.

I have not suffered it at all ...been very happy here since I arrived, with no doubts, or regrets..and although a miss a few people, we are in touch - so it's ok :)
I know I'm lucky - but it seems to me that people almost 'expect' to have homesickness - that they are virtually waiting for it to kick in :confused:

What do you think? What are peoples experiences of this state of mind?

Ray Sep 2nd 2007 5:56 am

Re: Homesickness

The thought of going back make me feel sick ....

Wendy Sep 2nd 2007 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262534)

I have not suffered it at all ...been very happy here since I arrived, with no doubts, or regrets..and although a miss a few people, we are in touch - so it's ok :)
I know I'm lucky - but it seems to me that people almost 'expect' to have homesickness - that they are virtually waiting for it to kick in :confused:

I've noticed that too, especially over the past few days. Quite a few posts have said 'you WILL get homesick' :confused: It is like some are sat waiting for it to kick in - maybe that's why they get it. :unsure:

Maybe it's not homesickness but discontent or even boredom with something, but is put down to homesickness because they expect to feel it. :confused:

I haven't been 'homesick' at all either. I did feel a bit down when my lad went home, but not cos I wanted to go back - just because it was strange not having him around and I miss him. But there's no way I'd go back just because I miss a few people (well OK just one :D)

Funny old world innit :D

PS: Ray, I agree

walla Sep 2nd 2007 5:59 am

I went back for a holiday in July, I couldn't wait to get back to Oz, I was homesick, does that count?

iPom Sep 2nd 2007 6:00 am

I was homesick once, for about half an hour... actually, not sure it was that long. About 15 mins maybe...

I got off my arse, went and had a fabulous coffee, did a bit of recreational shopping and looked at the mountains.

Sorted.

Hasn't happened again.

Look forward not back.

Weirdstone Sep 2nd 2007 6:08 am

:)

This maybe be seen as controversial ... but do people think that those who expect to get homesick really have 100% commitment to coming here do you think ?

Pollyana Sep 2nd 2007 6:08 am

Its a very odd thing homesickness, strangest things can spark it off. I never in a million years expected it to affect me, but it kicked in after about 2 months, hit me like a sledgehammer, and I've not got over it since.

iPom Sep 2nd 2007 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262558)
:)

This maybe be seen as controversial ... but do people think that those who expect to get homesick really have 100% commitment to coming here do you think ?

I think some people let it happen and others don't. I don't think it's something we have to suffer... I think it's a choice. You either have a certain mindset or you don't....

What is homesickness though?

Feeling the loss of things you know and are familiar with?

Well if that's the case, get familiar with a load of other stuff....

I don't see the point of hanging on to 'stuff' from my past... it's old and gone...

Weirdstone Sep 2nd 2007 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 5262563)
Its a very odd thing homesickness, strangest things can spark it off. I never in a million years expected it to affect me, but it kicked in after about 2 months, hit me like a sledgehammer, and I've not got over it since.

What was it that got to you Polly ?

Weirdstone Sep 2nd 2007 6:15 am

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 5262569)
I think some people let it happen and others don't. I don't think it's something we have to suffer... I think it's a choice. You either have a certain mindset or you don't....

What is homesickness though?

Feeling the loss of things you know and are familiar with?

Well if that's the case, get familiar with a load of other stuff....

I don't see the point of hanging on to 'stuff' from my past... it's old and gone...

My view exactly....

But when people write as though it WILL happen, I think is not very fair to those who are just starting on the journey ...another thing on the list to worry about ....

ozzieeagle Sep 2nd 2007 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 5262541)
The thought of going back make me feel sick ....

When I first arrived in Aus, I used to have Nightmares about waking up back in England. I've never suffered from homesickness. I was amazed about the draw I felt to the UK after my last holiday, after 24 years here though.

I'm still trying to work out the reasons for that feeling. I have worked out that I'm more Aussie than Pom now. So whatever that feeling was, its probably a rosetinted pipedream. Probably something to do with the Male Menopause lol !

walla Sep 2nd 2007 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Weirdstone (Post 5262575)
My view exactly....

But when people write as though it WILL happen, I think is not very fair to those who are just starting on the journey ...another thing on the list to worry about ....

They're better off going to Spain, easier to get "home"

iPom Sep 2nd 2007 6:19 am

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5262579)
They're better off going to Spain, easier to get "home"

Well 'home' is just where my stuff is. It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

walla Sep 2nd 2007 6:22 am

Originally Posted by iPom (Post 5262582)
Well 'home' is just where my stuff is. It doesn't get any more complicated than that.

Aye, as well as me dog and work.

iPom Sep 2nd 2007 6:24 am

Originally Posted by walla (Post 5262585)
Aye, as well as me dog and work.

..and the kids... :D

But they're going to move out one day, so I don't include them.