Historic threads

Old Aug 2nd 2022, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Historic threads

I was a little bored today so I decided to look at some old threads on British Expats.

I must say some of the old posts are very interesting as some people had good foresight whilst others were way off the mark regarding Immigration trends of the future from the U.K. And also references to China.

One of the posts said the Chinese economy would slow and fall of a cliff (2011) Post.

Another that the pound would recover from the 2006 collapse

Another referenced Australia was trying to cut down Asian migration

All quite fascinating as so much has changed over the last 20 years and I wonder what the next 20 will hold ? Any views would be interesting.

From my view I think India & Indonesia will eventually be the largest groups migrating to Australia along with Chinese( dependent on the current situation) It appears far too expensive for Europeans to migrate here at the moment but Australia has a great need for labour which can only come from Asia in my view. Although the huge and they are huge living costs cannot be paid for by cheap labour its ironic as is the Australian policy regarding emissions. On one hand its important for mortals living here to cut their carbon footprint and the government wants to be green meeting the Paris agreement but on the other hand exports huge amounts of coal for the Chinese(the largest polluter of carbon) to burn the coal to create more carbon?
I wonder how it all works.
Old Aug 7th 2022, 7:55 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Historic threads

China will become less important, it's population is set to half in the next 30-45 years (depending on estimate) due to the one child policy and persistent low birthrates. This will have economic impacts as well as lowering immigration from and exports to that region. It does not appear there is another China out there either.

Wages will rise substantially as the number of workers within developed economies decline due to demographics. In effect worker shortages will be permanent, some will be replaced by AI and machines but not enough to offset declines in working age population.

Rising wages will mean higher interest rates ending the incredible asset bubble of the last three decades.

Most people will own EVs by 2035 because the cost of batteries is declining rapidly and will likely crossover within a decade.

High speed rail to replace aircraft between Melbourne and Sydney. It's already one of the most used air corridors and the distance likely means a high speed rail link will be built as taxes are introduced on airline fuel.

Australia will limit immigration to meet its climate goals. With a stable population it will be difficult but with a growing population near impossible. However other countries like Korea and Japan, which have much lower birthrates than Australia, will mop up a lot of workers.
​​​​​

Last edited by Charismatic; Aug 7th 2022 at 8:03 am.
Old Aug 20th 2022, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Mrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond reputeMrs M has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Historic threads

Originally Posted by Charismatic
China will become less important, it's population is set to half in the next 30-45 years (depending on estimate) due to the one child policy and persistent low birthrates. This will have economic impacts as well as lowering immigration from and exports to that region. It does not appear there is another China out there either.

Wages will rise substantially as the number of workers within developed economies decline due to demographics. In effect worker shortages will be permanent, some will be replaced by AI and machines but not enough to offset declines in working age population.

Rising wages will mean higher interest rates ending the incredible asset bubble of the last three decades.

Most people will own EVs by 2035 because the cost of batteries is declining rapidly and will likely crossover within a decade.

High speed rail to replace aircraft between Melbourne and Sydney. It's already one of the most used air corridors and the distance likely means a high speed rail link will be built as taxes are introduced on airline fuel.

Australia will limit immigration to meet its climate goals. With a stable population it will be difficult but with a growing population near impossible. However other countries like Korea and Japan, which have much lower birthrates than Australia, will mop up a lot of workers.
​​​​​
Wow ! Sounds like you are a prophet ! Lol! I must disagree with the first part re (Another China out there) Yes there are three India, Indonesia and Nigeria. If I am correctly informed. Not sure about wages and interest rates if one could forecast that then one could be the next Warren Buffet! Good to see an opinion anyway.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 12:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

And you missed the Cricket Thread? For shame.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 12:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim
And you missed the Cricket Thread? For shame.
I was going to post something the other day after South Africa belted England into orbit but I was laughing too hard
Bazball? Yeah right