Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Higgs Boson discovered (probably), but ...

Higgs Boson discovered (probably), but ...

Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:53 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Higgs Boson discovered (probably), but ...

Someone was obvious motivated to find a particle family chart....
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:56 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
Someone was obvious motivated to find a particle family chart....
can you explain this to me?

Old Jul 4th 2012, 1:03 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commonwealth
That's a periodic table, rearranged to push the importance of filled electron shells (itself a QM issue).

QM is more defined by this equation :
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:07 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

That would make talking about Quantum Mechanics kind of difficult - since lots of it is German; on account of most of the creators being krauts. Eigan this, Eigan that....

http://bi.gazeta.pl/im/fotomon/bloxl...75a4915292.jpg

Widely regarded as the most dense a collection of brainpower, ever.
Bit like the Barbie before the aussies and Canadians joined in
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:09 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Well done Garry. Keep supporting the science over wastes of time like the 100 metres. I'm finding the entire discover really quite fascinating, and the ramifications are huge. Finding the Higgs means that steps to find clean, boundless energy are a little bit further on.

I dare say people were saying the same thing about scientists trying to crack the atom - what possible use can that have? Well now we now know it was an incredibly important discovery that has shaped the world we live in today...

S
How did the atom shape the world we live in today,it's always be round
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:10 am
FREE TIBET

That's easy,it's the seating plan for the Globe theatre in London
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:17 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
That's easy,it's the seating plan for the Globe theatre in London
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:19 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

OK

There is something called the Standard Model(SM) in particle physics - arranges all the subatomic particles in nice families, formed of different types of quark, etc. (kind of like the Periodic Table, but not). Fields (like gravity) are mediated by 'particles', exchanged between other particles to 'transmit' the field (so gluons transmit the force of gravity, etc.) Think wave/particle duality, or snooker.

A scotsman by the name of Peter Higgs came up with a theory that mass was a field (the Higgs field) and thus in the SM a particle (the Higgs Boson) was needed to transmit that field. No Higgs Boson, no field, no mass.

Now, this experiment has confirmed the existence of a particle with the right mass (mass/energy remember) for the theory, and once they have confirmed some other characteristics, it will be confirmed as the Higgs (though everyone basically accepts it already). The precise mass of this particle helps set loads of other universal characteristics (it IS mass, after all) and so helps define how the universe works, choosing between some different options. That then feeds through to lots of other questions (will the universe collapse, how did it form, etc.)

Only the results have a wiggle in them. Maybe this is real, maybe its just noise, but wiggle potentially means 'new stuff' and thus physicists are interested. If it means a new effect has to be explained, that means new physics, the universe isn't exactly what we thought, and someone will get a Nobel.

If that's layman's terms, then Layman was obviously a physicist, but thanks anyway

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
I need some paracetemol
Washed down with a beer. Think I'll join you

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
17. Language of Use
The language of use for this site is to be English only. Any "discussions" on this site should be in English, and any "discussions" comprising of a different language (or excessive text speech) will be removed.

Thank you.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:54 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
If that's layman's terms, then Layman was obviously a physicist, but thanks anyway
I understood it*, I'm obviously not as thick as I thought

*pleads prior knowledge - my BIL, who works at Daresbury Laboratory and has been back and forth to CERN quite a lot over the last few years, keeps trying to explain what he does. We still reckon he just pushes a broom around and reads the paper in the bog.

My brother has the same trouble trying to explain genetic theory to me, I really am the thick one in the family :: sobs ::
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

It is all very interesting- even to someone like me who finds it hard to believe that there was "nothing" and then there was an explosion and the universe came into being. I was more of an opinion that before the "big bang", there was a different universe that contracted until it got so dense and tiny that a critical reaction occurred and Bang! our universe was born. If you say how will it be possible for galaxies etc that are moving away from each other to then contract, well I think that the universe is like a 3D form of a Moeibius strip so that essentially it only has one surface and it will eventually lead to everything coming together again. This has happened many times- a sort of "Steady State"- except it isn't really steady.

I'll just shuffle off now- used to being laughed at by my OH who is a big bang believer.

Of course I am a believer in Star Trek physics too!! many things have come into being that Star Trek had in the 60's, or they are trying to invent them.

Last edited by carolinephillips; Jul 4th 2012 at 10:41 am.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:40 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
I need some paracetamol
Washed down with a beer. Think I'll join you
paracetamol + alcohol = dead liver
Old Jul 4th 2012, 12:33 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
It is all very interesting- even to someone like me who finds it hard to believe that there was "nothing" and then there was an explosion and the universe came into being. I was more of an opinion that before the "big bang", there was a different universe that contracted until it got so dense and tiny that a critical reaction occurred and Bang! our universe was born.
Current forerunner in the cyclic universes domain is 'branes' :
http://discovermagazine.com/2004/feb/cover

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
If you say how will it be possible for galaxies etc that are moving away from each other to then contract, well I think that the universe is like a 3D form of a Moeibius strip so that essentially it only has one surface and it will eventually lead to everything coming together again. This has happened many times- a sort of "Steady State"- except it isn't really steady.
Well it is a kind of 3D mobius strip, in that it's space-time that's expanding and galaxies are being taken along for the ride. It's not that they are expanding into nothingness (at this point most kiddy explanations reach for the balloon). The question of if its open of closed is a different matter however - which is where dark matter and dark energy come in.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 2:46 pm
Daffyd Duck

A Higgs boson walks into a church.

"We don't allow Higgs bosons in here!" shouts the priest.

"But without me, how can you have mass?" asks the particle.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

A Higgs boson walks into a church.

"We don't allow Higgs bosons in here!" shouts the priest.

"But without me, how can you have mass?" asks the particle.
Someone hasn't been paying attention... post 18.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 4:12 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

Not a bad explanation of the what, why, and how of the Higgs and CERN :

http://vimeo.com/41038445

for those who couldn't get my explanation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.