Hi from a n00b...

Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

vinny1275 will become famous soon enoughvinny1275 will become famous soon enough
Default Hi from a n00b...

Morning / evening / afternoon all,

My name's Vince, and my wife Claire and I have decided we want to investigate moving to Oz. At the moment we're looking at Perth, I've got externded family and some friends there, and the Oz division of the company I work for has an office there (I'm finding out if they sponsor migrants, if not, I'll put my own skilled application in). We currently live in Swindon, but are both from Devon originally and miss being close to the sea..

I'm an IT / Network manager, and Claire's a Transport Planner / Urban Designer. We're both petrolheads, and have almost finished building our kit car (which we're hoping to import with us if we can afford the import duties!). We're hoping to get out to Perth this (British) autumn to check the place out and make sure we like it before getting too deeply mired in paperwork!

That's about it for an intro I think, I'm sure I'll be along with some qustions soon...

Actually, I already have one... Looking at flights yesterday, I found a deal with Royal Brunei to Perth - It seems longer than either Qantas or Emirates, and uses smaller planes, has anyone taken this route / any problems with it? We don't have any kids btw.

Cheers

Vince
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hi from a n00b...

Originally Posted by vinny1275

My name's Vince, and my wife Claire and I have decided we want to investigate moving to Oz. At the moment we're looking at Perth, I've got externded family and some friends there, and the Oz division of the company I work for has an office there (I'm finding out if they sponsor migrants, if not, I'll put my own skilled application in). We currently live in Swindon, but are both from Devon originally and miss being close to the sea..

I'm an IT / Network manager, and Claire's a Transport Planner / Urban Designer. We're both petrolheads, and have almost finished building our kit car (which we're hoping to import with us if we can afford the import duties!). We're hoping to get out to Perth this (British) autumn to check the place out and make sure we like it before getting too deeply mired in paperwork!

That's about it for an intro I think, I'm sure I'll be along with some qustions soon...

Actually, I already have one... Looking at flights yesterday, I found a deal with Royal Brunei to Perth - It seems longer than either Qantas or Emirates, and uses smaller planes, has anyone taken this route / any problems with it? We don't have any kids btw.

Cheers

Vince
Hi and welcome for the forum - the only thing I would say about Brunei is that I believe it is a dry airline so if you like a drink
Old Jul 16th 2009, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

vinny1275 will become famous soon enoughvinny1275 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Hebe
Hi and welcome for the forum - the only thing I would say about Brunei is that I believe it is a dry airline so if you like a drink
Ahhhh, hadn't thought about that. Still, at least you're not likely to get drunks trying to open the doors at 37,000 ft... It's about 200 quid each cheaper than emirates or qantas tho, so I may still be swayed!

Thanks,

Vince
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:33 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say welcome to BE

Julie.
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:40 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

hi there, if I had the option I would go with emirates or qantas etc, there isnt anything WRONG with royal brunei but they stop off in dubai and then stop off in Brunei also, so if you have a 1 1/2 hr stop then a 4+hr stop that adds extra fatigue and frustration- I'd rather go direct every time!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:44 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to say hello and welcome to BE
Old Jul 16th 2009, 10:47 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhhh, hadn't thought about that. Still, at least you're not likely to get drunks trying to open the doors at 37,000 ft... It's about 200 quid each cheaper than emirates or qantas tho, so I may still be swayed!

Thanks,

Vince
Welcome to the forum NOW sort yerself out lad,flying without a drink are you mad,get yee to the Canadian forum quick
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:27 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Welcome to the forum NOW sort yerself out lad,flying without a drink are you mad,get yee to the Canadian forum quick
Thats probably the only good bit of advice youve given on BE

Welcome to the forum Vince. Dont know about Perth flights/costs etc, but I have flown Malaysia, Quantas & Singapore and all where good, but Singapore & Malaysia are probably the best flying to Oz at the moment, but 400 quid is still a lot of drinks when you arrive in Perth as well
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:30 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Having never flown alcohol free - can you not BYO and have a few "toilet" breaks?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:38 am
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Having never flown alcohol free
does that mean you always fly drunk?
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by furkew
does that mean you always fly drunk?
Pretty much
Old Jul 16th 2009, 11:53 am
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Pretty much
i'm off to Amsterdam tomorrow afternoon, so i'll probably be travelling the same way as well
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:11 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers

Vince
Welcome Vinny and Claire, hope you find your time on BE enjoyable and informative! We're all here to help with any queries you have on getting to the land 'Down Under'
Old Jul 16th 2009, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Hi just returned from Adelaide and flew Cathay Pacific.Fab alirline,free drinks,fantastic music selection,good tv/movies,and could'nt fault the service either!Have lived in Oz a long time so if you wanna ask me any questions,feel free!Good luck and welcome!
Old Jul 16th 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone, and the airline tips! Needless to say, I'll be back with more questions soon enough...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.