Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Here come The wobbles

Here come The wobbles

Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:21 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Here come The wobbles

So, I have accepted the Aussie job and handed my notice in at work. I have sold my house and am living in temporary accommodation. I have told everyone I am leaving.
Until recently, everything seemed to be going well but now I am having major wobbles.
My new boss has informed me (very apologetically) that a mistake was made and that I have to come out on a 457 visa. I have it in writing that after 3 months they will sponsor me for PR but it was still a disappointment.
The pound is slumping even further against the dollar meaning that we are not going to have enough deposit for a new house.
A promotion opportunity has arisen here and I would have gone for it if i was staying.
And to top it all, my mum has had a health scare and I am worried about her.

I know it's normal to have doubts but I really feel like things are stacking up against this move.

We are doing it anyway, leap of faith and all that, but I just wanted to vent
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Here come The wobbles

You sound like me two years ago, apart from you haven't gone through the people at work / friends stopping talking to you as yet.

People who I considered very close work mates who I had worked with for a number of years just blanked me as soon as the news was out, no good lucks / congratulations or best wishes for my family on our adventure. Just a very uncomfortable notice period.

We also sold our house at the last min and spent 6 months in a rental before leaving the UK to start my new job.

Last edited by Jon77; Feb 25th 2013 at 8:39 am.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
So, I have accepted the Aussie job and handed my notice in at work. I have sold my house and am living in temporary accommodation. I have told everyone I am leaving.
Until recently, everything seemed to be going well but now I am having major wobbles.
My new boss has informed me (very apologetically) that a mistake was made and that I have to come out on a 457 visa. I have it in writing that after 3 months they will sponsor me for PR but it was still a disappointment.
The pound is slumping even further against the dollar meaning that we are not going to have enough deposit for a new house.
A promotion opportunity has arisen here and I would have gone for it if i was staying.

I know it's normal to have doubts but I really feel like things are stacking up against this move.

I know the feeling well - the movers are turning up on Thursday to collect all my bits and pieces - straight after my second night shift
Old Feb 25th 2013, 2:46 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
You sound like me two years ago, apart from you haven't gone through the people at work / friends stopping talking to you as yet.

People who I considered very close work mates who I had worked with for a number of years just blanked me as soon as the news was out, no good lucks / congratulations or best wishes for my family on our adventure. Just a very uncomfortable notice period.

We also sold our house at the last min and spent 6 months in a rental before leaving the UK to start my new job.
Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I know the feeling well - the movers are turning up on Thursday to collect all my bits and pieces - straight after my second night shift
Jon, I know you had a hard time. I hope things are better for you now.

OS - you're a month ahead of me. I'll be watching your posts with baited breath
Old Feb 25th 2013, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm, why not go for the promotion and see what options you have then. Not sure I'd be selling house and packing up shop for a 457, not in this climate anyway - take a career break rather than chucking it all, can you rescind a resignation
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:29 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by quoll
Hmmm, why not go for the promotion and see what options you have then. Not sure I'd be selling house and packing up shop for a 457, not in this climate anyway - take a career break rather than chucking it all, can you rescind a resignation
House is already sold. I have a years career break

457 is only temp for a few months then I get PR.

Still terrified, eek!

(But also excited )
Old Feb 25th 2013, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop your wobbling and get moving........ I need somewhere new to visit next time I am over ; )
Old Feb 25th 2013, 10:03 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

You sound exactly like the sort of person Oz needs, Kapri, great sense of humour and a bit of an adventurer. Welcome to Australia, mate!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Hope your mum is feeling better now. Expect more wobbles between now and your move- after all it is a massive undertaking and not to be taken lightly. And however bad things seem to be, remind yourself why you decided to up sticks in the first place.

Breathe........and have a happy voyage down under!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 5:44 pm
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Stop your wobbling and get moving........ I need somewhere new to visit next time I am over ; )
Back at ya! I will look forward to our first trip to Melbourne

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You sound exactly like the sort of person Oz needs, Kapri, great sense of humour and a bit of an adventurer. Welcome to Australia, mate!
Thank you! x

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Hope your mum is feeling better now. Expect more wobbles between now and your move- after all it is a massive undertaking and not to be taken lightly. And however bad things seem to be, remind yourself why you decided to up sticks in the first place.

Breathe........and have a happy voyage down under!
Thanks lovely. I shall look forward to our coffee
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

macy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of lightmacy is a glorious beacon of light

House is already sold. I have a years career break

457 is only temp for a few months then I get PR.

Still terrified, eek!

(But also excited )
Excited for you but I would want it in writing that the 457 is only temp and a PR will be issued asap, as another poster has stated, Australia is not the place workwise it was a couple of years ago and it is a very uncertain visa option......
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:12 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Underground, overground, wobbling free,
The Wobbles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folks leave behind........

You'll be right.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:11 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by macy
Excited for you but I would want it in writing that the 457 is only temp and a PR will be issued asap, as another poster has stated, Australia is not the place workwise it was a couple of years ago and it is a very uncertain visa option......
Yes, I agree. I wouldn't want to have a verbal agreement. I have it in an email from the service manager and my skills are quite sought after so I hope I will be ok.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 7:11 am
Happy migrant

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Underground, overground, wobbling free,
The Wobbles of Wimbledon Common are we.
Making good use of the things that we find,
Things that the everyday folks leave behind........

You'll be right.
I hope so
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:38 am
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Wobbles are normal Kapri.

You have been after this move for soooooooooo long now. Go for it girl

(Wish I was in your shoes. Except for the mum bit of course. I really hope she's ok )

Julie x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.