Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

help visitors from uk..nightmare

help visitors from uk..nightmare

Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:54 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute
Default help visitors from uk..nightmare

please can i have a bit of advice and support. we have some relatives of my husbands here for three weeks. i don't know them very well my husband hates them and it's all really difficult. they don't drive have no motivation to go anywhere they just "sit" around not talking and i am finding it very hard (they have only been here one day!!!!!)there's lots more to it all aswell but won't bore you with it. help me help me help me!!!!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help visitors from uk..nightmare

sending you love xxx
Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:59 am
why
BE Forum Addict

why has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond reputewhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hitchcock71
sending you love xxx
thanks i need it
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:05 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
please can i have a bit of advice and support. we have some relatives of my husbands here for three weeks. i don't know them very well my husband hates them and it's all really difficult. they don't drive have no motivation to go anywhere they just "sit" around not talking and i am finding it very hard (they have only been here one day!!!!!)there's lots more to it all aswell but won't bore you with it. help me help me help me!!!!!!!
Don't drive ? How bizzare. Personally I would introduce them to the local train station so they can plan some days out, give them attraction information and having done your bit - go out yourself and get on with your life.

Nowhere does it say that just because we migrate we have to entertain people when they are on holiday. What would they do if you were not there ?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:05 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

It could just be that they are jet lagged and once they are over that they may pick up.

Just a question - why have you agreed to put someone up for 3 weeks that you don't know and your husband doesn't like - in fact as you say, hates?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why

Bring 'em to the meet at Semaphore this Saturday, I'll tell em for ya
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:25 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Give them the number for the neazrest taxi company and some info on attractions. Then just go about doing your own thing.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:30 am
why
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vanessa
It could just be that they are jet lagged and once they are over that they may pick up.

Just a question - why have you agreed to put someone up for 3 weeks that you don't know and your husband doesn't like - in fact as you say, hates?
it's a very very long and complicated story. they are my husband now deceased dad's wife and her daughters. she is mean spirited herself. when we were in the uk we stayed in husbands home town for one night to go to his nan and grandad's wedding do and they wouldn't even baby sit my kids for one night. they have been here a few times. my husband's dad was unwell when he came three years ago and they had a renewal of vow's and i did a good do for them (knowing he would never come again) it was for him. she has always been funny and to be honest i wouldn't mind if i never saw her again. but she "loves" australia. i wouldn't mind but when i was in uk last year i had to go up and see them only for a couple of days on the sunday she chucked me out so they could watch the telly. oh i could go on for ever but i just get's me down. we told them we didn't want them staying with us but they just came anyway not even asking first... they really are the rels for hell. i will need to go to the psychologist after this!!!! do you think she will pay?
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:33 am
why
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
Give them the number for the neazrest taxi company and some info on attractions. Then just go about doing your own thing.
trouble is she's been here before and the pattern is "i've already been there" and they just prefer to sit and stare at us while we get on with life and it's very uncomfortable. i am usually pleased to see visitors but i seriously feel shit about this... it has nearly split me and my husband up before..but what choice do i have...
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:35 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
we told them we didn't want them staying with us but they just came anyway not even asking first... they really are the rels for hell. i will need to go to the psychologist after this!!!! do you think she will pay?
Shocked me to the pants

Someone said to me just before we flew out, 'I hope you are going to get a decent sized place so we can come and visit' - this person NEVER contacts me or anything.

'I will help you find a guest house but you are not staying with me, turn up at your peril' I snapped and walked off.

No way no never - total piss take.

Im sorry but I would pack her clothes and find her a B/B and say to her 'you will have far more freedom there'

You dont deserve this, no matter how it is wrapped up and packaged, you do not deserve this treatment.

Respect is a two way thing and your guest has worn out the 'respect rug'.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:36 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by why
trouble is she's been here before and the pattern is "i've already been there" and they just prefer to sit and stare at us while we get on with life and it's very uncomfortable. i am usually pleased to see visitors but i seriously feel shit about this... it has nearly split me and my husband up before..but what choice do i have...
Given what you've told us, I'd take a very deep breath, tell them that they are welcome to stay for a couple of nights and then they will have to find some other holiday accommodation. They are taking the p1ss out of you big time.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:41 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with PP-you can't let them control you like this-they sound toxic!

Outrageous that they just pitch up when you do not even feel close to them & sit around watching your every move. You must for your own sanity & relationship with OH insist that they find alternative accommodation asap.

So what if they are offended-you might just get lucky and never see them again

ps this comes from a rather feeble "yes" person so I know this is easier said than done-however on the rare occasions I have managed to stand up for myself I have always felt on top of the world afterwards!

Last edited by JoolsB; Mar 24th 2008 at 7:43 am.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:42 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by why
it's a very very long and complicated story. they are my husband now deceased dad's wife and her daughters. she is mean spirited herself. when we were in the uk we stayed in husbands home town for one night to go to his nan and grandad's wedding do and they wouldn't even baby sit my kids for one night. they have been here a few times. my husband's dad was unwell when he came three years ago and they had a renewal of vow's and i did a good do for them (knowing he would never come again) it was for him. she has always been funny and to be honest i wouldn't mind if i never saw her again. but she "loves" australia. i wouldn't mind but when i was in uk last year i had to go up and see them only for a couple of days on the sunday she chucked me out so they could watch the telly. oh i could go on for ever but i just get's me down. we told them we didn't want them staying with us but they just came anyway not even asking first... they really are the rels for hell. i will need to go to the psychologist after this!!!! do you think she will pay?
dont think they will pay, probably ask YOU for the money for them to have the treatment.

i have a bloody good idea about how you are feeling and what position you are in. (long story and not a very nice one), my advice to you and your husband is to go out and do your own thing, give them the taxi numbers and train times, a few leaflets of where they can go (if she LOVES australia as much as she says they will go- which i personally think she is taking the piss out of you and your husband and just wants a free holiday). Dont put up with them any more than you can cope with, find a bloody hotel for them if you must, they arrived and plonked themselves on your doorstep, giving you NO notice and NO respect - bollocks to them, they got here on their own steem, they can sort themselves out.

they are rude, disrespectful, down right taking the piss (again I might add), and are taking you for eveything they can. Either tell them that they have to sort out thier own entertianment (after all they got there themselves) or sit there bored.

I have No time what-so-ever for people like that and I promised myself a few years ago that if one of my so-called family turned up without notice after everything they have done they will get the door slammed back in their faces.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:54 am
why
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sheff_Sparky
dont think they will pay, probably ask YOU for the money for them to have the treatment.

i have a bloody good idea about how you are feeling and what position you are in. (long story and not a very nice one), my advice to you and your husband is to go out and do your own thing, give them the taxi numbers and train times, a few leaflets of where they can go (if she LOVES australia as much as she says they will go- which i personally think she is taking the piss out of you and your husband and just wants a free holiday). Dont put up with them any more than you can cope with, find a bloody hotel for them if you must, they arrived and plonked themselves on your doorstep, giving you NO notice and NO respect - bollocks to them, they got here on their own steem, they can sort themselves out.

they are rude, disrespectful, down right taking the piss (again I might add), and are taking you for eveything they can. Either tell them that they have to sort out thier own entertianment (after all they got there themselves) or sit there bored.

I have No time what-so-ever for people like that and I promised myself a few years ago that if one of my so-called family turned up without notice after everything they have done they will get the door slammed back in their faces.
i'm glad i am not on my own with this thanks for that..
Old Mar 24th 2008, 7:59 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Sheesh. I'd pack for them, open the front door and show 'em out. But that's just me ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.