Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Help - Techno Phobic Woman - Which Laptop???

Help - Techno Phobic Woman - Which Laptop???

Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:19 pm
When?? We ask ourselves!!

andy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really niceandy & jayne is just really nice
Question Help - Techno Phobic Woman - Which Laptop???

Hi there!

We are wanting to purchase a new or used laptop to take with us to Oz. We would only require it for emailing, storing photos, web cam, possibly that SKYPE thing and not much else.

What laptop do you think we need bearing in mind we are coming over to Australia. How many GB?

Thanks for your answers, much appreciated!

Jayne
Old Jan 26th 2006, 2:25 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Help - Techno Phobic Woman - Which Laptop???

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
Hi there!

We are wanting to purchase a new or used laptop to take with us to Oz. We would only require it for emailing, storing photos, web cam, possibly that SKYPE thing and not much else.

What laptop do you think we need bearing in mind we are coming over to Australia. How many GB?

Jayne
I think the decision to buy or not should hinge on how you answer this question?

"Is the smooth plastic rounded object with two or more clicking panels and a long wire attached to it (a) a foot-pedal or (b) a mouse?"
Old Jan 26th 2006, 3:44 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help - Techno Phobic Woman - Which Laptop???

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I think the decision to buy or not should hinge on how you answer this question?

"Is the smooth plastic rounded object with two or more clicking panels and a long wire attached to it (a) a foot-pedal or (b) a mouse?"

Old Jan 26th 2006, 4:34 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andy & jayne
Hi there!

Jayne
Hi Jayne.

on top of all the helpful comments, I will add my bit

I would recommend for what you are needing the laptop for, second hand should be no problem. The only downfall with second hand can be the battery life. If you are planning to always use it on the mains, again no prob.

Minimum requirements I would say are :

Pentium 3 minimum 800MHZ min
128 MB (256 preferred)
10 gig harddisk ( for photo back up I would suggest buying a portable mini harddisk, which are not too dear now. About 40 - 60 GB)
Windows XP operating system.
CD or DVD burner (for putting photo's on disk.)

Everything else doesnt matter too much. This is a pretty basic laptop, which won't cost too much. If you prefer new, I would say the cheapest from any manufacturer will suffice. They will always be a lot better specs than above. If you are looking at new, built in wireless network is an option that I would recommend for lappys nowadays.

Hope this helps.

Paul.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 5:12 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would advise getting a Sony Vaio, my family has 4 of them :P and no problems ever.... the look stylish and have good specs... and are also pretty cheap depending on what spec of one u get.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 5:24 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by furkew
Hi Jayne.

on top of all the helpful comments, I will add my bit

I would recommend for what you are needing the laptop for, second hand should be no problem. The only downfall with second hand can be the battery life. If you are planning to always use it on the mains, again no prob.

Minimum requirements I would say are :

Pentium 3 minimum 800MHZ min
128 MB (256 preferred)
10 gig harddisk ( for photo back up I would suggest buying a portable mini harddisk, which are not too dear now. About 40 - 60 GB)
Windows XP operating system.
CD or DVD burner (for putting photo's on disk.)

Everything else doesnt matter too much. This is a pretty basic laptop, which won't cost too much. If you prefer new, I would say the cheapest from any manufacturer will suffice. They will always be a lot better specs than above. If you are looking at new, built in wireless network is an option that I would recommend for lappys nowadays.

Hope this helps.

Paul.

Hi Another techno phobic here

This whole wireless network thing can someone explain please!!

Ie if its wireless will it work virtually anywhere as in if I bought a built in wireless laptop would it work in my house or do I have to have a router or somthing !!!

Sorry I know I sound proper thick!!!(im from essex so its allowed!!)

kris
Old Jan 26th 2006, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

brian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the roughbrian0 is a jewel in the rough

Think of a laptop on a wireless data network as the handset of a wireless phone (not a cell phone, but the wireless phones you use in your house). The handset doesn't work without the base station which needs to be plugged into the phone line in your house. The handset is simply a receiver. So, in the same way as you need a base station for your phone you need a wireless access point (WAP) to create the wireless network within your house. Many WAPs are combination router and WAP, which means you can plug wired computer products into them (usually they have 4 ports) and also use them for wireless devices like laptops. They tend to run <$100 US for a 4 port combo router/WAP.

Now, if you were lucky and maybe had clueless neighbours you might be able to get wireless networking for free if your neighbours have a WAP and it is not secured and you live close enough to them. The range on most WAPs tends to be ~100 feet, but that varies depending on how many obstructions the signal has to go through (walls and such).

The big advantage of having wireless in a laptop is if you travel a lot. You can get wireless access in places like airports, some hotels, and many coffee shops these days. Makes accessing email/surfing the web much easier when travelling.

Hope that helps!
Brian

Originally Posted by kris maynard
Hi Another techno phobic here

This whole wireless network thing can someone explain please!!

Ie if its wireless will it work virtually anywhere as in if I bought a built in wireless laptop would it work in my house or do I have to have a router or somthing !!!

Sorry I know I sound proper thick!!!(im from essex so its allowed!!)

kris
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:09 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian0

Now, if you were lucky and maybe had clueless neighbours you might be able to get wireless networking for free if your neighbours have a WAP and it is not secured and you live close enough to them. The range on most WAPs tends to be ~100 feet, but that varies depending on how many obstructions the signal has to go through (walls and such).

Brian
this defiantly works when we are all on line ( 3 PC`s in our house ) our connection slows so i connect via next doors broadband

easy peasy

regards Steve
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:33 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

iBook. I'm a computer professional and this is my favourite; but it's also a hell of a lot easier to use than any PC. For the uses you require, you don't need Microsuck/Intel compatibility.

With AppleCare, you get support for everything from user questions to hardware repair. If you truly want easy, this is the way to go.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:37 pm
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian0
Think of a laptop on a wireless data network as the handset of a wireless phone (not a cell phone, but the wireless phones you use in your house). The handset doesn't work without the base station which needs to be plugged into the phone line in your house. The handset is simply a receiver. So, in the same way as you need a base station for your phone you need a wireless access point (WAP) to create the wireless network within your house. Many WAPs are combination router and WAP, which means you can plug wired computer products into them (usually they have 4 ports) and also use them for wireless devices like laptops. They tend to run <$100 US for a 4 port combo router/WAP.

The big advantage of having wireless in a laptop is if you travel a lot. You can get wireless access in places like airports, some hotels, and many coffee shops these days. Makes accessing email/surfing the web much easier when travelling.

Hope that helps!
Brian

I now understand !!

Thank you

kris xx
Old Jan 26th 2006, 6:54 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
iBook. I'm a computer professional and this is my favourite; but it's also a hell of a lot easier to use than any PC. For the uses you require, you don't need Microsuck/Intel compatibility.

With AppleCare, you get support for everything from user questions to hardware repair. If you truly want easy, this is the way to go.
I agree with you, but as you say you are a computer professional. I recently installed and set up a imac G5 for a friend, and it's the first time i've actually worked with a mac, and I must say I was very very impressed. Only prob is that you need to have a reasonable basic knowledge to work with them. I think that within a couple of weeks, you will have no probs with a mac, but you need to know the basics to get started.

On the wireless subject, I would recommend if you have a wireless modem / router, get somebody local to set up the security options to stop people leeching your connection. (if you know what I mean Steve O )
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:00 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

On the wireless subject, I would recommend if you have a wireless modem / router, get somebody local to set up the security options to stop people leeching your connection. (if you know what I mean Steve O )

what me
i`m innocent guv onest
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:07 pm
Going for a ride

Originally Posted by steve`o
what me
i`m innocent guv onest
Of course you are sonny.

Now would you just try these bracelets on please.

Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:09 pm
Worongary

Of course you are sonny.

Now would you just try these bracelets on please.

its a fair cop guv
i`ll go back onto my own broadband router
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:10 pm
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ScottyTee
I would advise getting a Sony Vaio, my family has 4 of them :P and no problems ever.... the look stylish and have good specs... and are also pretty cheap depending on what spec of one u get.
Good on yer!
She doesn't need sony vaio, there are cheaper notebooks for what she needs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.