Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

help from the Bayside posse, RE fish and chips

help from the Bayside posse, RE fish and chips

Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice
Default help from the Bayside posse, RE fish and chips

Having been disappointed with fish and chips so far in the bayside, having tried places in Manly, Wellington Point, Cleveland and Thorneside - just wondering has anyone tried Chumley Warners in Birkdale yet? Just been online to check out the menu - it seems to be a bit pricey but is it worth the money (i.e. piece of cod $14.95 AUD)? Sick of paying for 3 portions of chips and only getting enough for 1 - appreciate any feedback ...
Old Nov 20th 2009, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help from the Bayside posse, RE fish and chips

$15 for a piece of cod
Old Nov 21st 2009, 12:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=636621 Very good reviews so far.
Old Nov 21st 2009, 1:21 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the big IP
Having been disappointed with fish and chips so far in the bayside, having tried places in Manly, Wellington Point, Cleveland and Thorneside - just wondering has anyone tried Chumley Warners in Birkdale yet? Just been online to check out the menu - it seems to be a bit pricey but is it worth the money (i.e. piece of cod $14.95 AUD)? Sick of paying for 3 portions of chips and only getting enough for 1 - appreciate any feedback ...
Heard some good feedback just think it's really pricey personnaly...Like Samsons down Raby Bay personnaly but each to their own.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Nov 21st 2009, 8:50 am
ABCDiamond

It should be good, the fish is from the Atlantic, the frying equipment from the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if they shipped the potatoes down from the UK too

Where are you getting those chips does not sound good

Old Nov 21st 2009, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
It should be good, the fish is from the Atlantic, the frying equipment from the UK, it wouldn't surprise me if they shipped the potatoes down from the UK too
I've been reliably informed that the chips are made from sebago potatoes sourced from Queensland. I'm not a chips person as I prefer French fries but JTL thought the chips were exactly like the chips he grew up with.

Mrs JTL
Old Nov 21st 2009, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

the big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nicethe big IP is just really nice

I am not a fan of 3-4 portions all on one tray, leaves them open to being a bit stingy on the chips, much prefer the individual way myself.
Will admit Raby bay Is not to bad but cant stand waiting for ever to get a table then the same for the food, find them pricey to.
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:34 am
ABCDiamond

I am not a fan of 3-4 portions all on one tray, leaves them open to being a bit stingy on the chips, much prefer the individual way myself.
Will admit Raby bay Is not to bad but cant stand waiting for ever to get a table then the same for the food, find them pricey to.
There are two shops in Victoria Point that do chips (there are more, but I am just talking about these two) one of them does a tray of chips for $7? that is almost enough for two, but another does $4 of chips that is plenty for 3 of us. But you do need to emphasis NO CHICKEN SALT, and repeat it just as they are about to put the salt on.

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
I've been reliably informed that the chips are made from sebago potatoes sourced from Queensland. I'm not a chips person as I prefer French fries but JTL thought the chips were exactly like the chips he grew up with.

Mrs JTL
You left out the bit where I said the fish was crap, a Birds Eye crumbed oven fish would have been nicer, than the rock hard piece of white flesh I got.

And for the price they charge, thats not good enough. A man can't live on chips alone.

JTL
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

LoveAlab will become famous soon enoughLoveAlab will become famous soon enough

The cod and haddock I have had from Chumley Warners is lovely, and I have been a few times and enjoyed it
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

just went with the kids,
and got chips, peas and curry with a can of lilt $11 not bad, after being here for nearly 4 years my budget does not stretch to fish, the verdict smells like an English chippy looks like an English chippy and tastes like one, great chips and peas.
judging by the queues they wont go bust, but i will echo the man who got served after me spending $105 on five people, it will just be a once a month treat, leave it to the brits whom have just come over with the pounds.
plus 1st time my 3 year old tried lilt loved it
Old Nov 22nd 2009, 3:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by LoveAlab
The cod and haddock I have had from Chumley Warners is lovely, and I have been a few times and enjoyed it
Apparently they've stopped doing the breadcrumbed fish, as they realised it was unpleasant too.

I haven't given up hope, I'll try an ordinary battered cod next time, and see how it goes. But the chips are great

JTL
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Pipers Mummy is on a distinguished road

Authentic but too expensive. Plus, I'd rather sit at Raby Bay overlooking the Marina than pay exhorbitant prices to sit looking at a car park in Birkdale....
Old Apr 4th 2010, 12:59 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pipers Mummy
Authentic but too expensive. Plus, I'd rather sit at Raby Bay overlooking the Marina than pay exhorbitant prices to sit looking at a car park in Birkdale....
Authentically frozen fish which tastes just like it was frozen..weeks ago. Soggy chips which remind me why they are not actually served anywhere else in the world. Oh and pay $20 for the privilege.

I cannot see how some people find that better that going to, say Raby Bay, being able to select your fresh fish which is then cooked to your liking and order and served to you immediately. Sitting down, view of the water, boats and perhaps even think about washing it down with a beer.

Granted you are missing out on your food being kept warm and dried out for a while before you eat it, but still..
Old Apr 4th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute

Get flake its better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.