Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

help, advice or anything needed re: Passport Renewal

help, advice or anything needed re: Passport Renewal

Old Aug 27th 2008, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all
Default help, advice or anything needed re: Passport Renewal

Can anybody help?

My UK passport expires early 2009. Am I right in thinking that if you apply for it through the British Consulate in Canberra that you have to provide 2 certified pictures of yourself, regardless of whether you have facially changed or not?

If yes, I suppose its some kind of security check, but its so annoying as if you haven't significantly changed in the UK, you can just send 2 new pictures without certficiation and given global movement etc. can't see what is radically different to applying for a passport renewal in UK as to OZ.

What are you supposed to do re: the knowing a 'professional' (and what a load of pants that is I might add) for 2 years, we have been here 5months, coming here knowing no one so that rule is kind of screwed for me renewing my passport. Any ideas?

Not planning to go back to the UK, although hubby going back next week. (uuuummmm!)Help Help Help
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:02 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: help, advice or anything needed re: Passport Renewal

Originally Posted by Cheshire Karen
Can anybody help?

My UK passport expires early 2009. Am I right in thinking that if you apply for it through the British Consulate in Canberra that you have to provide 2 certified pictures of yourself, regardless of whether you have facially changed or not?

If yes, I suppose its some kind of security check, but its so annoying as if you haven't significantly changed in the UK, you can just send 2 new pictures without certficiation and given global movement etc. can't see what is radically different to applying for a passport renewal in UK as to OZ.

What are you supposed to do re: the knowing a 'professional' (and what a load of pants that is I might add) for 2 years, we have been here 5months, coming here knowing no one so that rule is kind of screwed for me renewing my passport. Any ideas?

Not planning to go back to the UK, although hubby going back next week. (uuuummmm!)Help Help Help

Just go to a JP & get them to sign the back of your photo's as a true & current likeness of <insert name> That was sufficient for us.
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:10 am
Forum Regular

Cheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to allCheshire Karen is a name known to all

Sorry to be really thick, but do I look in the phone book for a JP?
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:20 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

You could do, though lots of shopping malls seem to have JP's hanging around to do certifying on certain days. Failing that ask at the local court house
Old Aug 27th 2008, 6:34 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Try asking around at work as well, they are far more prolific here than in the UK, and either you will find one nearby or someone at work will know where there is one
Old Aug 27th 2008, 10:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

And they're free. It's illegal for them to charge. They raise their eyebrows when you explain you pay through the nose in the UK
Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Just rang the British Consulate (passport section) in Canberra and the official response was:

As long as you include a covering letter to explain that you have only been in the country 5 months and this person is the best fit to the certification guidelines, then it will be ok.

JP fine or other professional fine as long as letter included.

Also asked re: why UK requirements differ in UK vs OZ, response that UK passports presented for renewal in Oz are processed in Oz, hence differnet rules (Figures! They are obsessed with signing and verification of identity here)

Cheers