Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Height above sea level?

Height above sea level?

Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Height above sea level?

Does anyone know if there's a site, like Google Earth that when you close in on your road/house etc it will give you the height above sea level? I thought you could do it on Google E but now I can't find it and the Mother just rang me to ask because she thought I was about to fall into the sea after the flooding and the coming of the cyclone nearly 2,000 kms away

Thought it might be interesting to know in an anal, geeky way
Old Feb 1st 2011, 11:56 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Height above sea level?

wikipedia does it. Type in the town name in search, on the right is a list of facts and fugures.

They call it "elevation" not height above sea level.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
wikipedia does it. Type in the town name in search, on the right is a list of facts and fugures.

They call it "elevation" not height above sea level.
Yeah, I've seen that, but I was really looking for our road which is way higher than the majority of the suburb. Thanks though. There's a flood map site where you can up the sea level to 14 metres and see if your house starts floating or not, we're about the only bit that would remain dry, which doesn't equate to what Wiki states, not far off though, considering it's Wiki
Old Feb 1st 2011, 12:28 pm
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yeah, I've seen that, but I was really looking for our road which is way higher than the majority of the suburb. Thanks though. There's a flood map site where you can up the sea level to 14 metres and see if your house starts floating or not, we're about the only bit that would remain dry, which doesn't equate to what Wiki states, not far off though, considering it's Wiki
http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en/

Pretty accurate. It uses the Google Maps Elevation API
Old Feb 1st 2011, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

5 feet 4" when I stand on the beach.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:05 pm
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute

We're 680m above sea level here...
Old Feb 1st 2011, 9:07 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by DownUnderPaddy
http://www.geocontext.org/publ/2010/04/profiler/en/

Pretty accurate. It uses the Google Maps Elevation API
Excellent! Thanks for that, just what I wanted. Wiki put my suburb at 18m above which is obviously general but I'm actually at 114m above.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 12:43 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! Thanks for that, just what I wanted. Wiki put my suburb at 18m above which is obviously general but I'm actually at 114m above.
Oh I love it!

37m difference in height between the top of our road and our house.

Its no wonder the dogs won't walk up the road

5m difference between the height at the edge of the driveway and the height at the bottom of the garden.

:: off to check differences between other random places::
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:24 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dreamy
Oh I love it!

37m difference in height between the top of our road and our house.

Its no wonder the dogs won't walk up the road

5m difference between the height at the edge of the driveway and the height at the bottom of the garden.

:: off to check differences between other random places::
It's great too for checking out how tough a bike ride is going to be on a route you have never cycled before. Just click in all the points and watch that profile appear
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 1:29 am
Crazy Cat Lady

The Tiddler has cycled our road and I've always thought she was mad, now I have confirmation.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 6:56 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Google earth gives the altitude amsl where the cursor is - it appears on the bottom bar, IIRC near the lat/long.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:18 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by Wol
Google earth gives the altitude amsl where the cursor is - it appears on the bottom bar, IIRC near the lat/long.
That's what I thought, but I've got nothing on there now, not even the lat or long.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 7:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I thought, but I've got nothing on there now, not even the lat or long.
You'll probably have to enable these on one of the options menus. I do also find that the options tend to disappear and reappear at random!
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
5 feet 4" when I stand on the beach.
It's about the same when I lie down.

Ok not quite that bad.
Old Feb 2nd 2011, 10:42 am
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Well if your fine, we are too for sure!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.