Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Heads Up! Satellite Falling To Earth

Heads Up! Satellite Falling To Earth

Old Sep 17th 2011, 12:36 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Heads Up! Satellite Falling To Earth

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14952001

"A five tonne, 20-year-old satellite has fallen out of orbit and is expected to crash somewhere on Earth on or around 24 September, according to Nasa.

Nasa says the risk to life from the UARS - Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite - is just 1 in 3,200."

1 in 3,200? How is this calculated I wonder? Great if you are one of the 3,199 I suppose.

"Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government"

If something lands on my veggie patch I am selling it to the highest bidder, US Government or not.

Not content with Americanising the world by culture and business now they drop shit on us ...
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Heads Up! Satellite Falling To Earth

Originally Posted by DeadVim
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14952001

"A five tonne, 20-year-old satellite has fallen out of orbit and is expected to crash somewhere on Earth on or around 24 September, according to Nasa.

Nasa says the risk to life from the UARS - Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite - is just 1 in 3,200."

1 in 3,200? How is this calculated I wonder? Great if you are one of the 3,199 I suppose.

"Members of the public are not allowed to keep pieces of the satellite that may fall to Earth, or sell them on eBay, as they remain the property of the US government"

If something lands on my veggie patch I am selling it to the highest bidder, US Government or not.

Not content with Americanising the world by culture and business now they drop shit on us ...
Sorry, Grammer police alert..

Its not allowed to use the word Culture and America inthe same sentence without some form of negative in the sentence prior to "american"....
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:06 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007

Its not allowed to use the word Culture and America inthe same sentence without some form of negative in the sentence prior to "american"....
Grammar
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Grammar
can I help it that the Grammar police and spelling police are currently not working together due to intenational conflicts ?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:16 am
Mostly Harmless

can I help it that the Grammar police and spelling police are currently not working together due to intenational conflicts ?
<Typo Police> international
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

<Typo Police> international
My point exactley!

Dont worry they'll be along in a minute...
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:28 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

This from someone who lives in Australia: priceless
Old Sep 17th 2011, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wol
This from someone who lives in Australia: priceless
..... Not only Australia, but PERTH, WESTERN AUSTRALIA!!!!!

I'm glad that SOME ONE can recognise irony....
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's the property of the US Government, can I sue them for millions if it lands on my house?
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:39 am
Mostly Harmless

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If it's the property of the US Government, can I sue them for millions if it lands on my house?
Didn't really work for the Iraqis, Afghans, Libyans, etc, etc ...
Old Sep 17th 2011, 6:41 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't really work for the Iraqis, Afghans, Libyans, etc, etc ...
Exactly. Maybe I'm not so easy going as them though.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:31 am
Mostly Harmless

Update From NASA:

-----------------------
As of 1:30 p.m. EDT Sept. 21, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 120 mi by 130 mi (190 km by 205 km). Re-entry is expected sometime during the afternoon of Sept. 23, Eastern Daylight Time. The satellite will not be passing over North America during that time period. It is still too early to predict the time and location of re-entry with any more certainty, but predictions will become more refined in the next 24 to 48 hours.
-----------------------

Well, that's OK then
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:48 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The orbits for the next day over Bowral are (From heavensabove.com)

DateMagStartsMax. altitudeEnds TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az.TimeAlt.Az. 22 Sep3.707:15:2510NNE07:16:3214ENE07:17:4010E 22 Sep1.816:30:0110WSW16:31:4532NW 16:33:2610NNE 23 Sep3.706:48:1210NE 06:48:2510ENE06:48:3810ENE 23 Sep0.915:59:3310SW 16:01:1446NW 16:02:5110NN
So could be Sydney.....

(Edited) Oh b*gg*r - that was a table. Formatting problems..........
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:00 am
Possum. Amiculum. Latrina

Turban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond reputeTurban Explorer has a reputation beyond repute

Has it fallen from Uranus ? Is he around to ask?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

My money is on it hitting reading in the UK, what a shithole that place is Mind you it probably won't make that much of difference to the place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.