Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Have you had your 'Moment'?

Have you had your 'Moment'?

Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Forum Addict

framac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond reputeframac67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have you had your 'Moment'?

Every time I'm on the phone to the UK, I subtlely drop it in that I was out watering my banana trees and gloat. Works for me everytime. God I'm evil sometimes.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 5:52 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by framac67
Every time I'm on the phone to the UK, I subtlely drop it in that I was out watering my banana trees and gloat. Works for me everytime. God I'm evil sometimes.
I am going to buy a lemon tree - once the garden can be fenced off to protect it from the dog.

And then I will water it, always wanted something to water
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
I get them feelings everyday
Every day is 'One of those moments'!! Ok..yeah getting up day after day going to a boring job isnt much fun, but hey I am alive, I am healthy, and I have a great family and some bloody good mates!!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:13 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
Every day is 'One of those moments'!! Ok..yeah getting up day after day going to a boring job isnt much fun, but hey I am alive, I am healthy, and I have a great family and some bloody good mates!!
congratulations
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
I am going to buy a lemon tree - once the garden can be fenced off to protect it from the dog.

And then I will water it, always wanted something to water
As long as it does better than my lemon tree....had it 4 years...gets hundreds of little lemons...then they bleeding drop off!! Have tried everything going to help them grow...but alas..nothing happens!!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 9:13 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, am going to get very boring and very sentimental now..

We spent nearly 5 months exploring Australia and so far these are (some?!) of my moments :

Driving on Highway 1 in WA and being in absolute awe of how big the sky is, it was endless.. totally and utterly endless...

Watching yet another sunset.. across a divine beach.. and then looking up at the dark sky and seeing soooo many stars...

Seeing Eagles flying up above.. and kangaroos and emus and other various wildlife everywhere

The Dolphins at Monkey Mia... just coming up to the beach.. inexplicable!

The whales prancing and preforming just off Hervey Bay

Going to the Blue Mountains and just gasping (and I mean GASPING!) at the beauty of it all..

*recovers self*

In general, being in Peregian beach now, I think I sum it all up when I get up each morning with a spring in my step! However... getting back to PP's original question.. my moment of "OMG, I am in Australia", is when the kids come back from school and we just put on our bathers and hit the beach for an hour ... that is my "I am in Australia" moment..

*dries eyes*

I really ought to stop drinking this wine now!

Em x
Old Nov 7th 2008, 10:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sj oldfield
As long as it does better than my lemon tree....had it 4 years...gets hundreds of little lemons...then they bleeding drop off!! Have tried everything going to help them grow...but alas..nothing happens!!
Get the old man to pee on it. Apparently it's good for lemon trees.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:23 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yeah, I heard that on a gardening programme a while back.
The kids now have my permission to pee on my lemon tree when they are out the back (well it's got to be better than them peeing in the pool )
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Shari68 will become famous soon enough

After 7 months in Australia...I have had many moments where I have had to pinch myself thinking wow, we've finally made it. But, last week my son was practicing his trumpet, after the Christmas Carols he played the Australian Anthem 'Advance Australia Fair' that was it I was in tears.....Yes, I am in Australia at last!!!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

My Moment in Australia was asking Amanda to Marry me in Kings Park, it was pitch black and I found a perfect spot on a little bench under a tree over looking the city.

There was another of driving up the Brand highway where I had once travelled with my Dad 18 years before where I thought, 'I've made it Dad, I'm here', I got a little teary at that point.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

sunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond reputesunshine23 has a reputation beyond repute

My moment was a few weeks ago I was driving to work. I turned out of my street and there were hot air balloons. When I turned off the motorway there was the Q1 in the distance.

What a beautiful way to get to work.

Sunshine23
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:25 pm
OH is STILL undecided grr

Racht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond reputeRacht70 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We all have moments of where certain things hit us, for instance we were driving back from Selina's and I saw a kangaroo sign in the road and suddenly thought 'God I am in Australia' - that kind of thing.

I sort of trundle along through life in my own world and occasionally things become obvious to me like a 'gang' of galahs walking down the street yesterday where I live - about 4 of them (I am sure they wore board shorts, thongs and a singlet), and I had that warm feeling of realising where I was.

Well yesterday Mr PP was in the garden filling in the holes that the kelpie had dug and generally cleaning up, with Rocky Dog following him around with a squashed tennis ball in his gob.

'I thought to myself I own this house, I am cleaning up my own garden with my own dog - and I like it' He told me, clearly looking exceedingly proud/pleased.

It was as though everything had caught up with him and it was so nice to see him like that.

So have you had your 'moment' where things have made sense or made you realise where you are?

Be interested to know.
Awwww ..great post PP it brought a tear to my eye
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Yeah but tell him to "flush" with water afterwards to dilute it!
Old Nov 7th 2008, 8:12 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

For me it was when I saw my first dolphin - it was one of those OMG moments - the realisation that I now lived here. Also my daughters first Australian school assembly - felt quite emotional when everyone got up and sang the anthem (yes I am a daft bat).
Old Nov 8th 2008, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
For me it was when I saw my first dolphin - it was one of those OMG moments - the realisation that I now lived here. Also my daughters first Australian school assembly - felt quite emotional when everyone got up and sang the anthem (yes I am a daft bat).
I'm looking forward to my eldest starting school!

I find that complete random experiences make my moments - veggie patch - now going amazingly after 6 weeks! many aspects of village life, emphasis on the kids and new experiences, times when the pace and variety of life seems so suited.

What I do know is that life somewhere else, however good, would make me feel a constant yearning for this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.