Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has perth stopped giving jobs to people on WHV (working holiday visas) ??

Has perth stopped giving jobs to people on WHV (working holiday visas) ??

Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:43 am
Sharon

irishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud ofirishfamily has much to be proud of
Default Has perth stopped giving jobs to people on WHV (working holiday visas) ??

I have had a few friends text and E-mail me saying they have applied for jobs and have been refused because they r looking for permanent residents
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has perth stopped giving jobs to people on WHV (working holiday visas) ??

It depends on the type of work. Lots of jobs have always asked for PR as people on WHV can only work 6 months at a time.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 2:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has perth stopped giving jobs to people on WHV (working holiday visas) ??

Originally Posted by irishfamily
I have had a few friends text and E-mail me saying they have applied for jobs and have been refused because they r looking for permanent residents
Many jobs won't touch people without PR - too much hassle to employ someone and train them and then you have to replace them. Also in the case of many govt and council jobs they aren't able to employ people unless they have PR.

It seems to be more of a trend now for backpackers to look for admin/office/IT- and more professional type of jobs, whereas in the past it was accepted that they would belooking more for fruit picking and bar work.

What kind of jobs were they looking for?
Old Jan 27th 2009, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

NigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond reputeNigelWaring has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago the first port for quite a number of immigrant boats was Perth. They got more than their fair share of ten quid whinging Poms and they still haven't gotten over it. They also dislike Kiwis because they tended to leave without notice. I was a Pom in Perth who had arrived from New Zealand so I didn't stand a chance. Managed to get a job that lasted a few years till the firms contract ran out then I was in Perth unemployed for six months, job applications were ignored and hardly any interviews. Eventually I wrote to several firms in Sydney, a few said they would give me an interview if I visited, five weeks later I started work there and was in that job ten years.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

yanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of lightyanchep is a glorious beacon of light

I was going to apply in the next month for my daughter to come out on a working visa (she is a senior stylist hairdresser, age 23), hoping that if she liked it in that year we could do the permanent visa for her so I hope they havent stopped the working visa, maybe I should just try and get her the permanent visa then instead?