Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has AUS changed your life???

Has AUS changed your life???

Old Dec 5th 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of
Default Has AUS changed your life???

Hey all

Just wondering has the move to Aus changed your life.

Do you do things over there that you would have never thought of doing back home. Do you have more of a family life together for those who have kids. Do you have more of an out door life. Are you happier in your day to day routine than you were at home. Have you more friends there than you did at home. Is living in the sun better than living in the crap weather at home.

Just looking for some feed back.

As when we get there i hope that our lifestyle will change.

I am fed up with the poxy weather and not being able to arrange to do things cause you never know what the weather has in store.

We dont have a chance to do things as a family because of the weather. would love to go out cycling with the kids and play a lot more with them outside instead of having to play console games with them just to have fun.

I know living in the sun has its downside ( having to put sunscreen on all the time) but it must be better than getting pissed on and freezing all the time

Just looking for some feedback as i know normal life has to go like working paying the bills. But would like to think when we get there that we will be able to do more things as a family instead of being stuck indoors in front of the tv or the pc and going from homelife to work life.

Thanks Paddy

Ps i await the backlash
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:02 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has AUS changed your life???

Originally Posted by fairwayskid

I am fed up with the poxy weather and not being able to arrange to do things cause you never know what the weather has in store.
Very similar to Queensland then.

We are spending a lot less time outdoors than we did in England.

It is either pissing down with rain, hot enough to bake you or humid enough to steam you and if it does cool down after dark (6.15pm) then the mossies make life miserable.

I would swap you for some cold weather at the moment.

....also awaits the backlash

G
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

fairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud offairwayskid has much to be proud of

Thanks G

Knew i could rely on you for an honest answer
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Very similar to Queensland then.

We are spending a lot less time outdoors than we did in England.

It is either pissing down with rain, hot enough to bake you or humid enough to steam you and if it does cool down after dark (6.15pm) then the mossies make life miserable.

I would swap you for some cold weather at the moment.

....also awaits the backlash

G
true enough right now but only for a few months.

Seems better in spring, autumn and winter though. I reckon back in england we got 3 good months. Here we get 3 difficult ones (too hot/humid/wet rather than too cold/windy/wet). And when its too hot we jump in the pool, better that than wearing 10 layers to keep warm and dry.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Safin
true enough right now but only for a few months.

Seems better in spring, autumn and winter though.
Agreed

But I, personally, find it much easier to stay warm in the cold than cool in the heat.

The cold never affected my lifestyle as much as the heat does.

G
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Grayling
Agreed

But I, personally, find it much easier to stay warm in the cold than cool in the heat.

The cold never affected my lifestyle as much as the heat does.

G
Just to add.....I am finding it a lot easier than my wife.....she is finding it difficult to deal with the humidity and it is made much worse because she seems to be having allergic reaction to mosquito and gnat bites....despite trying all sorts of remedies.

G
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Do you do things over there that you would have never thought of doing back home. Yes, nip to a small beach whenever we feel like it

Do you have more of a family life together for those who have kids. Yes

Do you have more of an out door life. Yes

Are you happier in your day to day routine than you were at home. Yes, but I am at home, now

Have you more friends there than you did at home. No, that is one thing that leaving a lifetime behind does alter

Is living in the sun better than living in the crap weather at home. Yes, I hated the cold. And if it gets too hot, I can turn on the air con, or if outside, I can sit in the shade, overlooking the pool, watching my daughter play there. Central heating never was good enough for the cold for me. Some people are worse with cold or heat than others

Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:37 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Aus hasn't changed my life. I've changed my life.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:39 pm
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

At the moment our lives are 90% the same as they were in the UK... we still watch far too much TV etc etc. The difference is we make more of an effort at the weekends when we're all-together and go out and about as much as we can. DH has taken up golf which is something he didn't think to do in the UK and there are loads of things that I would like to do once my family is established and we've got the financial freedom again. Long-term I think it will definatley change our lives for the better - which is good as that was the point in moving here in the first place.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:40 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

No Aus has not changed my/our lives. It made things different abit, but on the whole we are still the same people and try to do the same things we did in UK.
Old Dec 5th 2008, 11:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
on the whole we are still the same people and try to do the same things we did in UK.
You should try some new things, in this new country

Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:02 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider
Bloody good reply and same for me.get your arse over Paddy and see for yourself
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It had a massive change on my Career path. I was in line to take a Shipbrokers exam, with 7 years working backroom in all aspects of Shipbroking back in the square mile. After 28 years here I'm still doing blue collar work. Although I do enjoy the mix of people from vastly different backgrounds, culturally and educationally, at my current role with Aus Post.

I became very lazy when I first arrived. I found myself working 4 hours or less per day, from home, on equal wages to a full time office admin person. IE: not to far off the average wage. The Job which was meant to be temporary in my mind. I was actually embarrassed to tell people back in the UK, was Gas Meter reading. 16 years I did that for.... I justified it by thinking I'd come to shangrila and being paid to exercise.

In my defence, we did manage a Hire Equipment Company from home at the same time. BE Fit Hire. http://www.befit.com.au/.

4 kids spread out over 16 years, dented any chance of both of us studying at the same time.

We came to the agreement that my Aussie wife do the Studying and Career Enhancement in her chosen area of Health.

I've no idea what would have happened to me in the UK.

I do get sad ponderings about what I may have missed out on sometimes. Certainly a far more exciting and demanding career path.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 6th 2008 at 12:11 am.
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seasider

Same here
Old Dec 6th 2008, 12:08 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

hi
no it has changed for the worse
i work full time and its hard to then come home in the heat and do washing ironing ,cooking cleaning while being so hot ,even with air con on .
my girls dont like it when too hot so they stay in doors.we hate getting bitten and never eat outside as cannot stand the flies.
Personally,i feel so isolated as too far away here and cost thousands of dollars to go anywhere.
life is life were ever you are.
Have found people very materialistic here ,thought they were bad in uk.thought it would be more sociable but people tend to keep them selves to themselves .
We like to live life and embrace it ,enjoy it with people you love around you.If you can find it here then that will be great.
sorry,this is my experience,but every bodies different.
Hope you can find what you looking for here.
we leave in two weeks on a journey that will take us to were we belong ,with love and laughter,dont really care if it is raining or not xxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.