Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Barbie
Reload this Page >

Has anyone tried home brew beer ? How is it ?

Has anyone tried home brew beer ? How is it ?

Old Nov 24th 2009, 6:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone tried home brew beer ? How is it ?

Originally Posted by kporte
I prefer that Coopers stout you put me onto. Best stuff here by a long chalk.
it is indeed....but a bit strong for 'everyday' consumption. The Coopers brown (dark) ale is a more lightweight version.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:17 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I wish Guinness could brew an acceptable version of Guinness
Well let us assume that I like the Guinness that Guinness brew (in Ireland) is there any way to get close to it with home brew?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:50 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burbage
Well let us assume that I like the Guinness that Guinness brew (in Ireland) is there any way to get close to it with home brew?
There is if you use roasted barley which you can add to malt extract or even to a kit...I have brewed one pretty close in taste.

Keg Guinness is served under nitrogen pressure, same a 'smooth' beers which are quite common.....that accounts for it's 'texture'.

I lost interest in Guiness when they stopped selling bottle fermented beers.

I have a recipe for guinness which I will post when I find it.

G
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own small brewery. I used to make a lot of beer from the grain and hops.

It is a complicated process but easy enough.

The problem here is that it uses a hell of a lot of water to produce a few gallons.

I have brought all the equipment with me but will wait until the winter before trying it out.

The raw materials are available although good hops are hard to find and many shops only stock hop pellets.

G
Hard-core mate - for now I'm happy to buy the kits. Some aren't that cheap - others reasonable and once you've got the gear - it's cheaper than shop prices. The boss used my old fermenter for a Christmas tree stand last year..and I had to replace it.

I found the Australian summer is hard to brew in. I suspect I got lucky when my brew stewed that hot Christmas we had a few years ago.

Now I try to brew in spring in time for Christmas. I'm quite lazy and barely bother with alcohol readings - I put it on and give it a week or two.

In winter I find you need to use a heater to maintain mid-teens to twenties.

Other mates also put on ginger beer - naturally choice of alchoholic or non-alcoholic.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:02 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Hard-core mate - for now I'm happy to buy the kits.
TBH brewing from grain is only worth it if you have the time and are a 'purist'.

If you are happy with kits then it probably isn't worth the expense setting up to brew from grain....I haven't got the time or inclination any more......but that may change.

G
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I have my own small brewery. I used to make a lot of beer from the grain and hops.

It is a complicated process but easy enough.

The problem here is that it uses a hell of a lot of water to produce a few gallons.

I have brought all the equipment with me but will wait until the winter before trying it out.

The raw materials are available although good hops are hard to find and many shops only stock hop pellets.

G
TBH brewing from grain is only worth it if you have the time and are a 'purist'.

If you are happy with kits then it probably isn't worth the expense setting up to brew from grain....I haven't got the time or inclination any more......but that may change.

G
Yes, there's no way I have the time right now to go past a kit.

Living in Brisbane - City - perhaps it might pass the time! How does humidity effect the process?
Old Nov 24th 2009, 9:17 am
Bitter and twisted

How does humidity effect the process?
Don't know

That is why I will wait for winter....I would hate to put time and effort into it and then it go wrong.

I would rather the odds in my favour.

G
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:07 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know

That is why I will wait for winter....I would hate to put time and effort into it and then it go wrong.

I would rather the odds in my favour.

G
I used to make wine, but it seems pretty pointless here as wine is so cheap. I'd be interested in that stout recipe if you get hold of it.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Burbage
I used to make wine, but it seems pretty pointless here as wine is so cheap. I'd be interested in that stout recipe if you get hold of it.
Made wine once years ago as a teenager. It was like the scene from the Great Escape. Rather leave that to the professionals.
Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:02 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

This thread has got me thirsty and keen to brew up again....

BUT - as many of you have noticed its BASTARD hot and trying to brew lager with fermenter in a hot laundry or hot shed would probably not result in a high quality drink.

So I'm vaguely considering (just vaguely) putting my fermenter in the swimming pool to keep it cool - a constant 28-29C. Obviously the top of the fermenter will be above the pool water level and I'll have to rinse off the outside of the bin and the tap when fermentation is complete thoroughly to avoid salty chlorine water getting into the bottles...

Am I completely bonkers?
Old Nov 25th 2009, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DadAgain
This thread has got me thirsty and keen to brew up again....

BUT - as many of you have noticed its BASTARD hot and trying to brew lager with fermenter in a hot laundry or hot shed would probably not result in a high quality drink.

So I'm vaguely considering (just vaguely) putting my fermenter in the swimming pool to keep it cool - a constant 28-29C. Obviously the top of the fermenter will be above the pool water level and I'll have to rinse off the outside of the bin and the tap when fermentation is complete thoroughly to avoid salty chlorine water getting into the bottles...

Am I completely bonkers?
I thought of that. You might even be able to commandeer a spare bath - I did this when I realised my brew was sitting on 30 and I wanted to bring it down to 22ish. (Like I said, I should have pitched the yeast once I had brought it down).

But I have previously brewed in a week where temps hit 40. The brew was 30. It seemed fine. Yeast is killed at about 40-42c when there is little alchohol present.

You can also use wet towels. Even pour water into the top of the lid. I'd get the brew on now - or wait for a week of milder days!
Old Nov 25th 2009, 2:08 am
Demi-God

I thought of that. You might even be able to commandeer a spare bath - I did this when I realised my brew was sitting on 30 and I wanted to bring it down to 22ish. (Like I said, I should have pitched the yeast once I had brought it down).

But I have previously brewed in a week where temps hit 40. The brew was 30. It seemed fine. Yeast is killed at about 40-42c when there is little alchohol present.

You can also use wet towels. Even pour water into the top of the lid. I'd get the brew on now - or wait for a week of milder days!
If I remember rightly, and I may well be wrong, that too high a temperature induces yeast to make methanol rather than ethanol. Probably best to check out whether this is true before you poison yourself.