British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Harbhajan Singh 3 match ban - hypocrisy?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/harbhajan-singh-3-match-ban-hypocrisy-504132/)

sdunx Jan 7th 2008 1:32 am

Harbhajan Singh 3 match ban - hypocrisy??

In no way condoning singh calling Symonds a monkey but is a result of the deterioration in the game caused by personal sledging. Begs the question who started all the disgraceful sledging to a very personal level? (rhetorical question)

Australia I'm afraid, shouldn't some of their players have been sighted and banned in the past for their personal attacks on opposing players during games? They've dragged the game into the gutter by introducing this so they should be the last ones to complain, just because one racist remark was made they're up in arms. Bunch of bloody hypocrits if you ask me.

Quite convenient that this ban removes Pontings nemesis from the remainder of the series. For the sake of the game I would like umpires empowered to deal with sledging on the spot and stop this rubbish from denigrading the great game of cricket. The irony is the australian side are that good they needn't resort to such tactics, this makes it even more disappointing.

Long live Adam Gilchrist - a shining ray of hope for sportsmanship in Australian cricket and true role model for youngsters - god help the game if they adopt the others habits.

renth Jan 7th 2008 1:53 am

Re: Harbhajan Singh 3 match ban - hypocrisy??

I don't think they Aussies invented sledging and there's a big difference between

"Why are you so fat?"
"because every time I f**k your wife she gives me a biscuit"

and calling a black man a "monkey".

I think the Indian's have every right to feel aggrieved about the outcome of the match but IMO there's no room for racism in cricket or in any other sport for that matter.

sdunx Jan 7th 2008 2:03 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 5749870)
I don't think they Aussies invented sledging and there's a big difference between

"Why are you so fat?"
"because every time I f**k your wife she gives me a biscuit"

and calling a black man a "monkey".

I think the Indian's have every right to feel aggrieved about the outcome of the match but IMO there's no room for racism in cricket or in any other sport for that matter.

I believe sledging to a personal level has dragged the game to this gutter level, that's my point

>Trigger< Jan 7th 2008 2:10 am

If a white bloke calls me a "Goose"...is that racism?

renth Jan 7th 2008 2:10 am

Originally Posted by sdunx (Post 5749898)
I believe sledging to a personal level has dragged the game to this gutter level, that's my point

I agree that the nasty sort of sledging you are on about needs stamping out.

KLF Jan 7th 2008 3:59 am

Perhaps he was pissed off as Symonds got away with being out on 3 occasions. Those umpires must love him. :sneaky:

bridie Jan 7th 2008 4:02 am

I think it's great that "one racist remark" as you put it is jumped on - there is no room for racism in any part of life.

As for sledging, personally I cant understand why sportsmen cant just play the game and win using their talent rather than trying to wind people up.

Yes, there were quite a few dodgy umpiring decisions - not sure why they dont just refer to the 3rd ump if they're not sure?

Vim Fuego Jan 7th 2008 4:07 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 5750295)
<snip>Yes, there were quite a few dodgy umpiring decisions - not sure why they dont just refer to the 3rd ump if they're not sure?

Because it would slow the game down (more!) and then it might as well be a Playstation game. You need an element of human chance in it, and that includes umpiring in my opinion.

Just look at the number of tries being referred 'upstairs' in a typical footy game to see how scared officials are of NOT using the technology and how it harms the game.

In any case the technology behind 'Hawkeye' (used for judging LBWs) is not 100% and I think, generally, umpires are under too much scrutiny from the media as it is ... give them a break I say.

KLF Jan 7th 2008 4:09 am

Originally Posted by bridie (Post 5750295)
Yes, there were quite a few dodgy umpiring decisions - not sure why they dont just refer to the 3rd ump if they're not sure?

They did for the stumping. He was OUT! :D The commentators called it and were surprised.

Saw Symonds down the Breaky Creek Hotel with two foxy little minx's, one on each arm. :thumbup:

On another note, he reminds me of Predator, with zinc on naturally.

bridie Jan 7th 2008 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego (Post 5750319)
Because it would slow the game down (more!) and then it might as well be a Playstation game. You need an element of human chance in it, and that includes umpiring in my opinion.

Perhaps they could do like tennis: give the sides three challenges per innings so they can challenge the decision and if found to be the right decision they lose a challenge, therefore limiting the amount of times its used.

Just a thought... seems a shame to have technology available and it not be used.

bridie Jan 7th 2008 4:52 am

Originally Posted by KLF (Post 5750320)

Saw Symonds down the Breaky Creek Hotel with two foxy little minx's, one on each arm. :thumbup:

I wouldnt mind being one of his minxes, esp after seeing the Ford Ranger ad! :thumbup:

Metrosapian Jan 7th 2008 5:01 am

Ponting is a slimy little creep too. I like Symonds but refuse to believe he was called a monkey. Nobody heard it and Singh denies it.....

bridie Jan 7th 2008 5:04 am

Originally Posted by Metrosapian (Post 5750447)
Ponting is a slimy little creep too. I like Symonds but refuse to believe he was called a monkey. Nobody heard it and Singh denies it.....

You could see at the time Symonds mouthing "did you call me a monkey?" or something similar, definitely that word used though.

Must admit not a Ponting fan either :thumbdown:

KLF Jan 7th 2008 5:06 am

Originally Posted by Metrosapian (Post 5750447)

Ponting has that face you'd like to slap...HARD!

Symonds is a good ol Brummie lad.

bridie Jan 7th 2008 5:08 am

Originally Posted by KLF (Post 5750469)
Ponting has that face you'd like to slap...HARD!

Bit like Leighton Hewitt who no doubt we'll be hearing all about now the Aus Open is about to start...... what a pair of muppets...