British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Happy Birthday to The Queen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/happy-birthday-queen-913792/)

paulry Jun 11th 2018 1:46 am

Happy Birthday to The Queen

Enjoying the public holiday to celebrate. Wishing her an awesome day! :bluecrown::drinkingwine:

GarryP Jun 11th 2018 2:04 am

Re: Happy Birthday to The Queen

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12513757)
Enjoying the public holiday to celebrate. Wishing her an awesome day! :bluecrown::drinkingwine:

:britflag::britflag::britflag:

. . . . :crown: . . . .
........:flirtyeyes:........

old.sparkles Jun 11th 2018 2:09 am

Enjoying the day off here too although her birthday was back in April :)

paulry Jun 11th 2018 4:59 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12513768)

I know, I s'pose it was set to June to give the plebs an extra holiday in summer. Problem it's only the public servants who get it - and everyone in Gibraltar and Australia. Actually, the UK gets short changed on public holidays, poor buggers. Only 8! :blink:

paulry Jun 11th 2018 5:04 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12513765)

. . . . :crown: . . . .
........:flirtyeyes:........

Very creative :thumbup:

BEVS Jun 11th 2018 5:36 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12513768)

We did also.

old.sparkles Jun 11th 2018 6:12 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12513799)
I know, I s'pose it was set to June to give the plebs an extra holiday in summer. Problem it's only the public servants who get it - and everyone in Gibraltar and Australia. Actually, the UK gets short changed on public holidays, poor buggers. Only 8! :blink:

I think that because the monarch changes, and therefore their actual birthday, an official birthday is not a bad thing. Not sure anyone in the UK gets the day off since I think the official one there falls on the weekend.

I also think that not all the states celebrate the day today - I'm thinking WA has a different day but can't be bothered to Google (slack I know)
I do think though that some of the other commonwealth countries celebrate the day too, but again not googling.

On the whole subject of public holidays, don't think we get more than 8 do we? (We being SA just in case :lol:)

paulry Jun 11th 2018 6:36 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles (Post 12513815)
I think that because the monarch changes, and therefore their actual birthday, an official birthday is not a bad thing. Not sure anyone in the UK gets the day off since I think the official one there falls on the weekend.

I also think that not all the states celebrate the day today - I'm thinking WA has a different day but can't be bothered to Google (slack I know)
I do think though that some of the other commonwealth countries celebrate the day too, but again not googling.

On the whole subject of public holidays, don't think we get more than 8 do we? (We being SA just in case :lol:)

We get 13 in the ACT.

mikelincs Jun 11th 2018 6:46 am

The UK has never had a day off for the Queens Birthday, however the trooping of the colour is always at a weekend so as to maaximise the number of people visiting. This year fans of the jaoied BNF leader chose to honour him by rioting in Trafalgar Square as they knew the MET Police would be somewhat busy elsewhere, what they didn't realise was that the London part of the World Naked Bike Ride was also passing through Trafalgar Square at the same time, so some interesting pictures emerged.

Amazulu Jun 11th 2018 6:50 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12513824)
The UK has never had a day off for the Queens Birthday, however the trooping of the colour is always at a weekend so as to maaximise the number of people visiting. This year fans of the jaoied BNF leader chose to honour him by rioting in Trafalgar Square as they knew the MET Police would be somewhat busy elsewhere, what they didn't realise was that the London part of the World Naked Bike Ride was also passing through Trafalgar Square at the same time, so some interesting pictures emerged.

Geert Wilders speech was awesome - real democracy at work

GarryP Jun 11th 2018 7:23 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12513824)
The UK has never had a day off for the Queens Birthday,

Civil servants used to have time off for the Queen's Birthday. Still do I think.

Civil servants' holiday which ministers wanted to abolish is saved by the Queen | Daily Mail Online

paulry Jun 11th 2018 7:48 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 12513843)
Civil servants used to have time off for the Queen's Birthday. Still do I think.

Civil servants' holiday which ministers wanted to abolish is saved by the Queen Daily Mail Online

My wife used to work for the Home Office and always had that day off. Personally, The Queen is a national treasure in the increasingly desolate British landscape. Everyone should get that day off to celebrate. :britflag:

Pollyana Jun 11th 2018 11:05 am

What public holiday?

BritInParis Jun 11th 2018 12:15 pm

No day off here but I did get to go to Trooping the Colour courtesy of the Australian High Commission. Great day out albeit I am slightly sunburned on one side of my face. Aiming for a Garden Party next year!

caretaker Jun 11th 2018 1:53 pm

Happy B'day Liz! Not a holiday in Canada but we get Victoria's birthday as a stat so it's all good.